Tigers v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Bath

Post by Bristol Tiger »

DaveRave wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:50 pm An attacking line out v 13 to snatch an amazing win...and they butcher it.
Sums up our play. :smt012
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Line out offensively was a mess that and the 2 gifted tries cost us in the end
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Tigers pack is a joke, do they actually train together? Unable to function as a unit and beaten in almost every collision.

I could not understand how Blaze managed to stay in post at the end of last season and I fear the decline will continue this season. The Bath yellow cards just made a drubbing look respectable.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:56 pm Tigers pack is a joke, do they actually train together? Unable to function as a unit and beaten in almost every collision.

I could not understand how Blaze managed to stay in post at the end of last season and I fear the decline will continue this season. The Bath yellow cards just made a drubbing look respectable.
Bit harsh scrums were about even, Thacker still can't scrummage at the top level, line out defensively was ok , but you can't blame Blaze for over throws and calls being missed.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

What a comedy of errors that was, incompetent referring, dishes out the cards half hour late, a set piece that doesn't function, Barrow alarmingly not stepping up and managing the issues, how can we flush that last line out down the toilet, pathetic, the scrum looks creaky, Munipola blowing after 20 mins, Ryan disappointing, the back line looked good but rushed, maybe it's just a bedding in process, May will bag lots of tries and Ford does look world class, Malouf is not ready for 15s rugby, Thompstone, Brady or Holmes need to slot in when fit. Bath were pretty pathetic tho, high shots galore, boot change by one player at every pivotal moment, a very messy win that was aided by the ref and the tigers incompetence, Saints away a must win!!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:59 pm
drc_007 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:56 pm Tigers pack is a joke, do they actually train together? Unable to function as a unit and beaten in almost every collision.

Bit harsh scrums were about even, Thacker still can't scrummage at the top level, line out defensively was ok , but you can't blame Blaze for over throws and calls being missed.
I disagree the line out ought to be a well oiled operation, the fact that failed to function on multiple occasions is surely his responsibility? Lack of organisation at the breakdown meant Tigers were repeatedly driven back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Would be harsh to blame Blaze for some of those lineouts where Pearce allowed Bath to stand in our line. I'm unsure how our jumper managed to make a mess of the last one, the ball came off his chest. Having said that when our game is built around set pieces working this needs to be a one off or fingers will start to point.

We conceded two penalties at the scrum. One was for Cole going long in the legs and then Auterac noticing and pulling him down cleverly the other looked like we were on top and I'm not sure what the assistant called it for.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

What a shocking performance. We gift wrapped the match and handed it over on a silver platter.

We had zero control at all from Ben or Ford. Our forwards were generally poor, bar Genge and O'Connor.

All this talk of change and moving forwards, same old :censored:.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

I think the comedy re start where we were turned over after getting in sight of Bath just summed the play up, lack of control by the forwards, would Bath, Wasps, Exeter have done that, nope, I don't think Blaze is good enough at this level, the set piece is key and we had no control, going to be a long old season at this rate, let's not forget that was our best pack out there!!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Lineout stats show Tigers only managed to win 70% of their own put in. Needs to be over 95%

Also conceded 16 turnovers.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Some amazing comments after 1 game on here ! We didn't deserve to win that after so many errors, which will hopefully be rectified. Some positives though, Ford is a class act, despite the intercept. Line out a shambles, but Charteris is one of the best defensive line out operators. Bath line out not straight every time.....could the officials not see it ? We have to get better, luckily there's time to improve.

Who hyped up the backline ? Not me. Yes, it's a star studded but will take time to gel.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:25 pm Some amazing comments after 1 game on here ! We didn't deserve to win that after so many errors, which will hopefully be rectified. Some positives though, Ford is a class act, despite the intercept. Line out a shambles, but Charteris is one of the best defensive line out operators. Bath line out not straight every time.....could the officials not see it ? We have to get better, luckily there's time to improve.
Would agree with the above, as many have said it's going to a very close premiership,
Thought Tom Youngs had a shocker, one interception try and one caused by Malouf poor positioning.

Mr. Pearce while not costing the came got a couple of major calls wrong including Veianu try in the 1st half and Barrow crawling
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:32 pm Mr. Pearce while not costing the came got a couple of major calls wrong including Veianu try in the 1st half and Barrow crawling
Agree, thought Mr Pearce had a poor game by his normally pretty good standards. Thought the dishing out of yellows was too late as well - Bath were on a "final warning" and then seemed to get away with several more penalties before the card game out (for what was a soft penalty).

However, Mr Pearce's performance was exemplary compared to the bulk of the Tigers team. The ref gave us a chance to make the scoreline respectable!
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Someone has to take responsibility for the lineout because it was terrible.
Kitchener is usless around the pitch and the lineout is supposedly the reason why we play him.
Malouf has potential but still looks like he's learning 15's better off playing Holmes for now.
Going forward back five of the scrum is the worry, if you compare what we put out today compared to the other top teams we are way behind.
Think the backline will come good in time and we have enough quality in the front row
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Oh dear! Not a very good start.

I thought our line out was poor, we stood too flat, not enough support runners, and we seemed to come off second best at the breakdown. In the final quarter we looked tired and lacking energy and creativity. A composed team would have got a try from that last line out. Plenty to work on. Loads!

I've been going to Welford Road for enough seasons now to know that the season isn't won or lost with the first game. The last time we won the Premiership I think we had a dreadful start. Exeter lost most of their opening games last season, so it is early days.

I'm sure we will improve upon today. There are a number of players new to Tiger that will need a bit of time to bed in. We will get better. Question is though, will we get better enough to take our place in the top 4 or top 2. I think we'll make top 4, but top 2? Mmmmm!