Tigers v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bath

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:09 pm It's an enforced change so it is what it is really but Bath certainly will try and spread the game late on, not so sure our centres should be running around at full pelt on 70 minutes, don't let them have ball is the answer, keep it tight and boss them, going lightweight up front is not the answer to that, that's playing to their strengths!
How many games stay tight in the last 10/15 minutes? Not many, especially when it's being played in early autumn sunshine. Bath aren't that weak up front we'll just nullify them by brute force alone. Hamilton coming off the bench will have a big man marking job on Falatau in the second half. Having arguably our two biggest tacklers on the bench (Hamilton and Williams) would indicate that MOC suspects Bath will throw it wide as bodies tire. Good time to have a hooker/openside, though by the sounds of it you'd don't like Thacker so won't think of the tactical advantages.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:02 am
BFG wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:09 pm It's an enforced change so it is what it is really but Bath certainly will try and spread the game late on, not so sure our centres should be running around at full pelt on 70 minutes, don't let them have ball is the answer, keep it tight and boss them, going lightweight up front is not the answer to that, that's playing to their strengths!
How many games stay tight in the last 10/15 minutes? Not many, especially when it's being played in early autumn sunshine. Bath aren't that weak up front we'll just nullify them by brute force alone. Hamilton coming off the bench will have a big man marking job on Falatau in the second half. Having arguably our two biggest tacklers on the bench (Hamilton and Williams) would indicate that MOC suspects Bath will throw it wide as bodies tire. Good time to have a hooker/openside, though by the sounds of it you'd don't like Thacker so won't think of the tactical advantages.
You aren't quite getting the point here, there are no tactical advantages against a team who's strengths lie in those tactics!
If you want to mirror your opponent then fine but personally I believe you play your own game and expose your opponents weaknesses if possible, not try and match their strengths.
When your two centres have been out for so long you want the game won before the last ten minutes IMO.
You are suggesting covering them, playing to our weakness and our opponents strength.
I am suggesting protect them completely by keeping the ball where you want it and playing to our strength which on this occasion should be up front over 80 minutes.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I note in the various season reviews that I've read that our pack has been written off already by many. We've a class backline that won't get much ball apparently ! Pin that up on the changing room wall :smt027
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:59 am I note in the various season reviews that I've read that our pack has been written off already by many. We've a class backline that won't get much ball apparently ! Pin that up on the changing room wall :smt027
In large letters too!! The Tigers front 3 have to be one of the best in the Prem surely? I don't see the back 5 being mediocre either. It is all about how well the integration goes with the 9/10?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

TigerCam wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:48 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:59 am I note in the various season reviews that I've read that our pack has been written off already by many. We've a class backline that won't get much ball apparently ! Pin that up on the changing room wall :smt027
In large letters too!! The Tigers front 3 have to be one of the best in the Prem surely? I don't see the back 5 being mediocre either. It is all about how well the integration goes with the 9/10?
Barrow, Kitch, Fitzgerald and even Wells are all underrated by other teams, as far as the prem is concerned Itoje, Launchberry and Lawes are the only ones who are the standouts above our group IMO (Barrow could be up there with them)
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Apart from opinion on Thacker I pretty much agree with BFG, tight early until a couple of scores in front, then open it up get a good margin of lead then close it out keeping it tight denying them the ball as our backs tire.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:08 pm
TigerCam wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:48 pm
Barrow, Kitch, Fitzgerald and even Wells are all underrated by other teams, as far as the prem is concerned Itoje, Launchberry and Lawes are the only ones who are the standouts above our group IMO (Barrow could be up there with them)
Agree about Itoje and Launchberry but not Lawes. I would put Kruis above Lawes then Barrow. Think Lawes is nowhere near as good as he was 2 years ago - still good though.
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Completely disagree! Lawes is a much better all round player now,his carrying has improved beyond belief and hes now much more than a search and destroy hitman.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Lawes is the only Stains forward that would sniff the Tigers first string...
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Lawes would be comfortably the best lock at WR
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Agree with Scott :smt003 , Lawes would walk into the tigers team as would the other three England locks. Barrow has the potential to be an international but based on last season he isn't at that level yet, maybe this year he can make the step up.
Kitchener and Fitzgerald are good club players but a level below those top second rows.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Judging by how many tickets are available on the website looks like there's going to be 24k+ at WR tommorow for a Sunday game.
Wasps got 12k today against sale. I know sale aren't the biggest draw but I think it shows how there nowhere near us in terms of support levels despite what all there fans (and some of ours) say.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Ludicrous to suggest that Lawes wouldn't get into the Tigers pack - his performances for the Lions in the Summer were excellent. Barrow may well become International class but apart from his lineout work Kitch is not in the same league - I hope to be proved wrong . Slater looked rather impressive on Friday night and I wish he were still here .
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Any streaming suggestions for this afternoon's match? Cheers :smt001
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I was slightly surprised that Barrow missed out on Argentina but I reckon he can get into the squad tho, the thing is, in who's place? Ewels? Kruis who hasn't impressed me in a while? Atwood?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni