Tries from May(2), Toomua and Brady.

:smt030
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Ospreys teams

Post by ourla »

40-14 at FT

Ospreys got two tries back and then we had Sione Kalamafoni sin binned.

But late tries from Jonah Holmes and Charlie Thacker but the gloss back on.
MrG
Tiger Cub

Post by MrG »

The offload from Tom Croat for the Holmes try was superb if we could get him back fit he would be like a new signing. He offers something the other 6's don't
MrG
Tiger Cub

Post by MrG »

Croft
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

trendylfj wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 am
iceman_19 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:27 am I can't recall seeing Thommo in any pre-season pictures or, as you say, on the squad photo.

My only guess is that he's either injured or on an extended break for whatever reason. If it is for personal reasons then perhaps that's why we've not had any mention of it from MOC.
Hope it doesn't mean he is on his way - I know we are well covered with wingers now(Holmes, Brady, Malouf, May, Veainu??) but he would still be my number 1 choice along with May.
Neck injury
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport ... eys-384543
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Good run-out but it was men against boys - Ospreys were very poor imho. Looked like a couple of knocks - Fitzgerald and Williams and possibly Malouf. OTY looked fit; Ellis strong; Luke won't give up a starting shirt without a fight. Croft had a great cameo - be so good to see him have a resurgent season. George Ford kicked well out of hand and oozes class in attack - some lovely touches. Toomua looked good in the tackle, Manu looked hungry as did Bateman. Thought Matt Smith struggled a bit; Jonny May looks full of promise; Nick Malouf still learning the positional bit!

Hopefully all getting better each week!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I would second that. I was particularly impressed with Toomua in defence. I also liked much of the handling tonight; not all perfect but we cannot expect that, but I thought it was mostly very crisp with some deft touches to create space or put people onto new lines of running. I was also impressed with the energy levels, albeit a dip after half time for 20 mins or so. All told a solid performance and bear in mind Ospreys will not have wanted to leave with that scoreline/momentum leading into the season proper.
As Good As It Gets
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Impressive for 3/4 of the game - the starting side was brutally effective despite no 7, and the '2nd XV' gelled superbly when Evans and Thacker H came on, as they changed breakdown tactics to full-on jackal mode which caused the Ospreys big problems in ball retention. The dip came when a few subs came on and defensively got disorganised.
Croft impressed, and I think he will push for a bench role. I had just begun to think To'omua was being quiet when he orchestrated a sequence of tries. Malouf is a proper speedster and good tackler - we look well provided for on the wings.
BTW is it me or is Joe Ford a better kicker than his brother? Weird to have one sub the other, since they have a strong resemblance (not always the case).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Initial worries about lack of wing depth is starting to lessen . May is a real finisher and Brady always does a good stint.
Interesting at the start of the second half Joe Ford was on at 15 then Veianu reappeared, sudden toilet break possibly, but maybe looking at bench options.

Starting 15 coming together, Coley in for Logo and BOC in at 7. Back line picks itself with Thompstone on the other wing when fit.

Bench to look like, when all 1st choice available Thacker, Bateman, Logo, Fitzgerald, Hamilton, Harrison, Ford J , Holmes
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

A worthwhile and promising warm-up albeit against a team who didn't look very interested before what must have been a half-time rollicking.

Muli looed upset with what looked like a calf problem. Brady was strugging after picking up a knock in the act of scoring.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Does anyone know when Coley can play again following his mandatory Lions rest period
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I pretty much agree with J Griffin, it was a good performance disrupted by changes but the game was about giving match time to as many as possible. Through the pre season fixtures just about all the squad has been given time on the pitch and I am sure MOC has got some thinking to do on who starts in certain positions. A few of the prospects and development lads have shown potential, the backs look exciting, I am really looking forward to the season, the matches against Bath and Saints will show where we really are and I am optimistic, we have a team and we have strength in depth. Tickets booked for Bilbao!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:14 am BTW is it me or is Joe Ford a better kicker than his brother? Weird to have one sub the other, since they have a strong resemblance (not always the case).
Fairly certain that last year George was in the low70's (from memory I think it was 72%) and Joe was in the high 70's (again from memory think it was 78%) - think I quoted those actual stats in another thread and made the same comment some time ago but can't find it or even my source so take these as the memory of an old man - hehehe
Hehehehehehehehe
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I don't think Leicester have had full value from this years Ospreys run outs with them minus Wyn Jone, Lydiate, Tipuric, Webb and Biggar, and a couple of other Welsh internationals.
IMO Leicester need to be mindful of the fact that the Ospreys and Treviso have provided only limited opposition.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Sarries have played Bedford and Timosaura,Exeter lost at Cardiff,won't have any bearing imo.