England Women in the world cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

England Women in the world cup

Post by Noddy555 »

Another great defensive performance from Leicestershire's Emily Scarrett and her team mates mean that England have reached the World Cup final in Belfast on Saturday and are able to defend their crown against New Zealand's Black Ferns. Which will be some test judging by the way they destroyed the USA earlier today. Well done Ladies.
SuperEagle
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: England Women in the world cup

Post by SuperEagle »

Does anyone know if the final will be on telly?
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

SuperEagle wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:16 pm Does anyone know if the final will be on telly?
ITV Saturday evening. 7.15.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Although im not a fan of womens rugby,as well as 7s,a massive congratulations to the whole team and coaching staff!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Thought that McLean played quite badly and her kicking from hand, which was raved about before the match was awful last night
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:24 pm Although im not a fan of womens rugby,as well as 7s,a massive congratulations to the whole team and coaching staff!
Can't speak for the semis as I didn't watch them but the France vs Ireland quarter final was a cracking game, not as fast nor intense as the modern men's game, but more like it was when the game first went pro in the late 90s early 2000s.

Clearing out at rucks was clean, no flying in with the shoulder etc. To turn the ball over teams would counter ruck rather than getting 1 person with 1 finger on the ball and asking for the penalty
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Itv4 has been showing all the games.
Good luck to them they are all obviously really dedicated and deserve all the success.

As for the standard imho you would see a better game at men's national league 2
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Whatever you think of the standard and in imho it varied greatly, I enjoyed last night's game immensely. I'd given up on the England Women's first game because it was a mismatch. Last night was tight, competitive and had all the drama you could want, so a very compelling watch.

Good Luck to the team in the final!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

When you consider what is going on with the RFU off the pitch, their motivation is to be applauded.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

In my experience semi-finals are often tight, error strewn affairs, with sides afraid of making a mistake.

I thought England defended heroically at times with Megan Jones making a couple of absolutely outstanding tackles.

In the end it was the power of the England forwards that won the day.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

congratulations ladies! Let's doff our hat to the more experienced, more pragmatic, more defensive English W team. Best of luck against the Kiwis ! :smt027 :smt038 :smt041
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:45 am Thought that McLean played quite badly and her kicking from hand, which was raved about before the match was awful last night
I think the comparisons are relative. Kicking in the ladies' game is nowhere near like the mens' game.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

It was a super game, brilliant commitment, very pure rugby but very physical, how those girls tackle, makes some blokes rugby look tame. Yes FH did not kick well from hand but it was chucking it down with rain. Impressed with both sets of goal kicking, ES is some player, and the French girl hit it miles. Those girls deserve professional full time contracts and I hope they sort it out soon, watching rugby like that was a thrill and I encourage you to watch final! :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

LE18 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:27 pm It was a super game, brilliant commitment, very pure rugby but very physical, how those girls tackle, makes some blokes rugby look tame. Yes FH did not kick well from hand but it was chucking it down with rain. Impressed with both sets of goal kicking, ES is some player, and the French girl hit it miles. Those girls deserve professional full time contracts and I hope they sort it out soon, watching rugby like that was a thrill and I encourage you to watch final! :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Totally agree. Really great game. It would be interesting to know how many more minutes of actual play there are compared to the mans game. Don't see much taking the ball to ground and dying with it. Real commitment to keeping the ball alive. Also I would suggest a huge differential in foul play which also adds to the enjoyment.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes ITV Saturday evening from 7.15 Kick off 7.45. Will be a Massive game as New Zealand "The Black Ferns" are yet to be tested,