Herr Flood

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Herr Flood

Post by trendylfj »

I have even more respect for Toby after reading this article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... y-germany/. He is not chasing money now but hoping to help the country of mum's family. I particularly like the statement ""If there was any way of trying to help a fledgling rugby country, it would interest me,". Good on ya Toby - putting something into helping a country to emerge as long as penalty shoot-out don't happen when they play England :smt023
Hehehehehehehehe
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Herr Flood

Post by Tiglon »

Anyone willing to help the smaller nations has my respect too.

Sadly, I think any emerging nation that does grow will just be exploited like the Pacific Islands are, and will never develop past a certain point.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It's wrong, stupid and pathetic. How can someone who has played for their country just once, let alone 60 times, be allowed to play for another country?!

Once you have committed yourself to one country, you should never be able to play for another country ever again.

It's not Toby's fault but the rule is absolutely ridiculous!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 pm It's wrong, stupid and pathetic. How can someone who has played for their country just once, let alone 60 times, be allowed to play for another country?!

Once you have committed yourself to one country, you should never be able to play for another country ever again.

In this world it's OK to change which country you are a citizen of, which country you hold a passport from, who you are married to, which company you work for, which religion you subscribe to, what your face looks like and pretty much every other aspect of who you are and what you do in life, so.... why not be allowed to change which team you play a game for?
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 pm It's wrong, stupid and pathetic. How can someone who has played for their country just once, let alone 60 times, be allowed to play for another country?!

It's a rule which is also changing to a longer fallow period before a new allegiance can be recognised.

Current perspectives on the nation state as seen by many in this country (i.e. England) are constantly being challenged, whether it's Celtic nationalism, The EU, shifting borders post world Wars or British decisions such as partition and the borders of the middle-eastern states. The idea that the nation and therefore nationality is a constant is a comfort to a few, but largely irrelevant to many.

Toby has good reasons to support the game's development in Germany. Good Luck to him.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:01 am

In this world it's OK to change which country you are a citizen of, which country you hold a passport from, who you are married to, which company you work for, which religion you subscribe to, what your face looks like and pretty much every other aspect of who you are and what you do in life, so.... why not be allowed to change which team you play a game for?
Quite simply because you are either English or not.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Grimlish wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:52 am

It's a rule which is also changing to a longer fallow period before a new allegiance can be recognised.

Current perspectives on the nation state as seen by many in this country (i.e. England) are constantly being challenged, whether it's Celtic nationalism, The EU, shifting borders post world Wars or British decisions such as partition and the borders of the middle-eastern states. The idea that the nation and therefore nationality is a constant is a comfort to a few, but largely irrelevant to many.

Toby has good reasons to support the game's development in Germany. Good Luck to him.
Of course he does but he can do that without playing for Germany.

As I said before, it's not his fault but the rule is ridiculous!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Just out of interest, then, what's your foolproof English/non-English test?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Nationality is not so black and white these days (and hasn't been for many years).

Why not extend your argument to "you are either from Leicester or not" and only have people from Leicester playing for Leicester Tigers?
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Well Ellis, you should take a look at this video report on the DNA tests for village of Bledington in Gloucestershire, that hotbed of international relations.

Perhaps you're not so English as you'd like to think...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:02 pm Just out of interest, then, what's your foolproof English/non-English test?
When I said you're either English or not, I was referring to Flood.

He must class himself as English otherwise he wouldn't have played for England.

Once anyone has chosen and played for their country, whether that be their country of birth or the country they grew up in, that should be the only country they ever play for.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:15 pm

Nationality is not so black and white these days (and hasn't been for many years).

Why not extend your argument to "you are either from Leicester or not" and only have people from Leicester playing for Leicester Tigers?
I know it's not black and white but once you have played for your country, whether that's the country you were born in, the country you grew up in or the country one of your blood relatives comes from, that's the only country you should play for.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:33 pm

I know it's not black and white but once you have played for your country, whether that's the country you were born in, the country you grew up in or the country one of your blood relatives comes from, that's the only country you should play for.
But... why should that be the case? What is your reasoning? I think we may have to just agree to disagree :smt001
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

You are only one nationality!

In Toby Floods case, he could have potentially never stepped foot in Germany but yet can represent them!

Without sounding disrespectful, how anyone cannot understand that playing for more than one country is a joke, is beyond belief!
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:33 pm

On that basis do you object to Eddie Jones coaching England given he has also coached Australia, and Japan?

"National representation" surely extends beyond those playing on the field, even if World Rugby only chooses to legislate the players.

You can easily be more than one nationality.

My kids are dual UK/Australian citizens, with two passports each. Why should they choose one or other nationality when they are a combination of the two?