Herr Flood

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Herr Flood

Post by ellis9 »

Nope, whatever anyone says, they won't change my mind.

It's one country and one country only in my view.

Also, if you think you should be able to play for more than one country and using clubs as an example like you have done, why can't someone suddenly stop playing for the one country and then straight away play for another country?
If a Tigers players leaves they don't have to wait 3 years to play for another club.
That argument and reasoning isn't anywhere near good enough for me!
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:27 am It's one country and one country only in my view.
So why is it OK for Head coach to represent more than one country but not OK for players to do so?

And what if a player plays U16s or U18s for country A? Should they be restricted to that country for life or can they play for a different country at senior level under your logic?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yes, once a player had chosen what country to represent at whatever level, that's their country.

The head coach is different as they are not earning caps. However, as I previously mentioned, I would prefer an English coach over a foreign one.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Oddly enough I agree with ellis on this one...you should not be able to change country as you no longer make the grade...
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

tjs10 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:32 am
ellis9 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:27 am It's one country and one country only in my view.
So why is it OK for Head coach to represent more than one country but not OK for players to do so?

And what if a player plays U16s or U18s for country A? Should they be restricted to that country for life or can they play for a different country at senior level under your logic?
So the greatest England captain shouldn't have played for England :smt017

I'm fairly certain without his experience in NZ (including a cap for the U21s) Johno would not have been the palyer he was
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

Exactly! Johnno would have been an All Black or nothing using Ellis' logic.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think that as an adult player, once you have played for one country, you may not swap.

I don't think that it should apply to juniors of less than 18 years of age as they are not adults and where they are playing may be dictated by where their parents are living and working, rather than nationality or personal allegiance and may well be subject to undue influence from coaches, teachers and the like.

Didn't Wales try and make their under 18s function as their "A" team for a while to try and lock players in whilst still technically juniors. (Effectively deeming an under 18 side to have the equivalent status in terms of binding players to the side as the Saxons does for England or the Wolfhounds does for Ireland)

Obviously the nationality as defined in the passport doesn't work if you hold a UK passport as that doesn't distinguish between England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. (Or for that matter if you are a dual national).
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:27 am Nope, whatever anyone says, they won't change my mind.
First time I've agreed with you :smt023
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm fairly certain without his experience in NZ (including a cap for the U21s) Johno would not have been the palyer he was
Not necessarily. If that rule was in place, he may not have chosen to play for New Zealand at that age.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:02 pm
Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Not necessarily. If that rule was in place, he may not have chosen to play for New Zealand at that age.
if not for an injury he would probably never have come back to England!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Head coaches don't represent a country in the way players do.

They are paid employees of the relevant union.

If you take the "head coach must be English" further then perhaps none of the staff working at the stadium may be foreign?
The construction workers must have been English.
No adverts or sponsorship from foreign companies?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Determination of nationality can be complicated. What nationality is a child born in one country to parents of differing nationalities neither of which is that of the nation where the child is born. What I find unreasonable is the often desperate scrabble to find a grandparent with some tenuous claim to nationality for the country for which representation is sought. Nationality should be determined based on place of birth and nationality of parents only. Those will dual nationality can make a choice. Like others once somebody has represented 'their' nation then thats it.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Clearly it can be argued until the cows come home what the rules should or should not be. I am happy provided that all stick to the same rules.

With respect to Flood it surely must be seen as good that he is trying to help expand the game we all love and if he is following the rules in doing so there is no argument.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!