Team Vs Treviso

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Treviso?

Post by Darc Tiger »

Impressed with Kalamafoni and Ford. Nice break from Holmes in the 2nd half.

I think we'll have to wait to see the best of Toomua, but there was some neat handling in wet conditions.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Team Vs Treviso

Post by Mark62 »

cheltexile wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:21 pm Apparently Mike Ford is milling around the ground chatting to some of the players.
Yes he was in the final whistle before the game. Hardly a secret.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Treviso?

Post by Mark62 »

Decent run out against a reasonable Trevino side. Never easy when mass replacements are used particularly on their side
Khalamafoni and Ford both looked good, Tom Youngs, Barrow and Genge impressed in a very wet second half, which we nilled them.
Also thought Ben White looked the part when he came on.
Going to be some very healthy competition for places this season
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Loads of players milling around. Great to be back at WR.
The atmosphere was subdued (understandably) and the quality was lacking (understandably) but boy, have I missed it.
One more game to blow away the cobwebs and step up to AP level. A loss to Barf at home in round one is unthinkable :smt009
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I'd say Fred was decent but was mixed ball carrying wise and (understandably cus it was wet) dropped the ball a couple of times but made an awesome tackle along with Evans on that huge No24 prop, unfortunately getting himself hurt in the process
Last edited by JP14 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Barrow was great
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Ben Betts played nicely at the end also.

Holmes looked like he could be handy whilst Malouf clearly has some positional issues to sort out.

Barrow looked good as usual when he came on.

Joe ford is not the worst fly half I've seen at WR.

Ryan was ok but Hamilton had a good game when he came on

Nobody looked poor but no really outstanding players either on the day

Having said that... if was one of those games where we never seemed to really get going and yet at the end of game you looked up at the scoreboard and we had put 47 points past them.... pretty good for a warm up game!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

A word for Bateman, too. I thought he had a storming first half.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:41 pm A word for Bateman, too. I thought he had a storming first half.
Carrying yes but scrummaging wise he was poor
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

mightymouse wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:35 pm
Holmes looked like he could be handy whilst Malouf clearly has some positional issues to sort out.
However Malouf did show his defensive qualities
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

The score doesnt completely reflect that for a good part of the game BT were playing some good flowing rugby. Key positives for me:
- Next to no ball errors (in the rain as well!)- Frequency of ball handling errors this time last year was excrutiating, particularly in first few premiership games
- Kalamafoni - He got stuck in and made some great carries, really refreshing to see
- White - Good decision making, looks like our 3rd choice SH
- Ford - Signs that he'll be able to hold the fort whilst little bro off with England
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Treviso showed Tigers how to handle the ball - lovely quick and generally accurate passing, especially given the conditions. I was disappointed to see Tigers sticking to the 'tried, tested and found wanting' take the ball in, create a ruck, scrum half has a look around and then makes the pass. If they are to compete with Wasps, Saracens and Exeter they will have to be able to create quicker ball, and one of those ways was demonstrated effectively by Treviso.

I think it is also fair to say that the score flattered Tigers, looking back it seems to me that Treviso and Tigers shared both possession and territory about equally, only Treviso's final touches (plus decent Tigers defence) prevented the score looking more equitable. And, until Hamilton came on, there was a distinct lack of aggression or drive or 'go forward' - we'll have to step up for Bath and I expect us to.

One final point about these pre-season games is the lack of numbers on shirts - with quite a few new players it was quite difficult to work out who was who. I know some of you can already identify all the new players, but for those of us who have only heard their names it would have been better to be able to identify them via their shirt numbers (after all, Treviso's shirts were numbered).
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tigers were pragmatic in their use of the conditions that is why we scored the tries we did. The scoreboard doesn't lie, and the fact that we kept them scoreless in the 2nd half must not be over looked
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Ads677 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 am Treviso showed Tigers how to handle the ball - lovely quick and generally accurate passing, especially given the conditions. I was disappointed to see Tigers sticking to the 'tried, tested and found wanting' take the ball in, create a ruck, scrum half has a look around and then makes the pass.
And yet somehow, we won by 35, and shut them out in the 2nd half. :smt017
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Game was just a run out and nothing more, IMO on performance or ability it was of no consequence in terms of competitiveness.
Treviso would struggle to win a single game in the Premiership.
Last edited by BFG on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.