Tv Games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tv Games

Post by dpoc74 »

Can I give my perspective as a new season ticket holder ?

We only moved to the area from down South last August, and apart from a few Quins matches we went to with friends, mostly went to football (please don't hold that against me).

Myself and my son went to our first Tigers match last September vs Worcester Warriors, because his school gave out a flyer with a promo code. After making a bodge of ordering online, I phoned the box office and spoke to the most helpful and welcoming person.

We went to the match and the first thing my son said was "This atmosphere is so much different to a football match" When I asked "Better or worse?" he said "Better, much better". We didn't notice the lack of police at first, of the away fans mingling with the home fans, but I did read the page in the programme which lists what is expected of a Tigers fan.
My son still talks about the little French kid sitting behind us at the Racing 92 match, screaming at the top of his lungs "Racing, Racing" and how cool it was.

Fast forward 7 or 8 matches last season, and I stealth bought ( told my wife in a mumbled non committed way) three season tickets for this years season purely based on the atmosphere, the rugby and the fact it is somewhere safe to take my kids that shows them that respect in sport still exists.

However it does go to show that my only other two posts in this forum have been in the catering section, and how utterly :censored: they were last season. (also the fact I am still trying to work out the exact laws of the game (ie why was that a penalty!) therefore don't really feel it safe to post on rugby matters yet. Need another few decades of rugby watching before I think I can hazard an opinion :smt002 )
It is important that you can get your kids a hot drink at half time at a late match in January when they are frozen solid, or that you aren't queuing hours to buy a scarf at the shop, or that the stewards smile instead of scowl (the bearded steward in the Robin Hood stand is only ever friendly so no complaints there).
This sort of thing does matter to someone who might come to one or two games and use it as a basis to decide on whether to come to a few more games.

The Tigers are good at getting school kids through the door, who then might badger their parents to take them and if more is done to get these kids (and parents) to come back time and time again, then I can only think this would be a good thing.

We are away next weekend, but am very much looking forward to the friendly on the 25th!
Last edited by dpoc74 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

It depends on why the kids want to turn up each week. Do they want to go because they have fun in the kids club and the other things that are happening with the rugby a secondary thing? In which case, when they eventually grow out of doing the fun things they won't want to go to the games anymore as the only reason they had been turning up was because of the fun and games and not the rugby.
LondonRich
Tiger Cub

Post by LondonRich »

And I think the important thing to remember is the 'match day experience' is different for everyone. Tigers do a pretty good job of catering for a lot of desires and there are of course areas that could be improved. But this 'experience' will continue evolving as long as there are games being played. The key, IMO, is to ensure everyone who attends has a good time and wants to come back; old, young whatever the demographic. And in order for that to happen Tigers need to keep their finger on the pulse.

Perhaps slightly off topic in relation to the thread title. Do any other clubs do it 'better' than Tigers? I haven't travelled to many other grounds. Sarries was ok, be big bar under the stand was cool but there wasn't quite the same vibe as Welford Rd for me (obviously there's a bit of bias ingrained in my perception!)
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

dpoc74 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:56 am Can I give my perspective as a new season ticket holder ?

We only moved to the area from.....

.... very much looking forward to the friendly on the 25th!
Great post - and a belated welcome to you and yours! :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

The Ricoh is getting better,truky awful when Wasps first started there and the atmosphere isn't as good as WR and that's probably due to the bowl shaped stadium
But I've always found the banter better due to the younger fans and I always find away fans better to mingle with at WR too which is quite sad. The other ground I like is Sandy Park which is electric at times!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

That wasnt knocking the fans by the way,its a great crowd! But a lot of fans approach the game how I would watch it at home if you get my drift where it's game first,to me match day is the whole experience and I always watch the match again at home anyway,be it recorded on BT or on the AP website.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

LondonRich wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:20 amPerhaps slightly off topic in relation to the thread title. Do any other clubs do it 'better' than Tigers? I haven't travelled to many other grounds. Sarries was ok, be big bar under the stand was cool but there wasn't quite the same vibe as Welford Rd for me (obviously there's a bit of bias ingrained in my perception!)
I've been to Franklins Gardens a lot because I live in Milton Keynes and I know a season ticket holder who sometimes needs a game buddy or let's me watch Tigers beat them, yet again. The set up is broadly the same. They have the "match day village" behind the main stand which provides a pre match focal point - which we don't really have. But it's not all that.. at least half is taken up with the queues for beer or burgers. Personally I would rather stand/sit pitchside for 10 minutes and watch the players warm up and take in the atmosphere of the crowd. I prefer the terrace at Saints to ours - it's easier to get in and out I've found. The atmosphere in recent seasons has been better than at Tigers IMO.

The only other current proper rugby ground I've been to is Bath where I found the beer queues to be as bad as our ours. The city is obviously great as is the location but the ground itself isn't up to much.

I'm hoping to get to more away grounds going forward as I've given up my season ticket. I got one for me and my season a couple of years back when he was under 10. As mentioned above he enjoyed the experience more than the rugby.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Im the same! Sit in the Goldsmith,right of the posts,very close to the pitch and love watching the players warm up and can have some banter at times, depending if they are doing drills or not.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:51 pm and I always watch the match again at home anyway,be it recorded on BT or on the AP website.
Me too!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

dpoc74 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:56 am Can I give my perspective as a new season ticket holder ?
Welcome to the forum, the family and the sport. Good post and great insight.
You're exactly what the club needs and I hope the club take particular note of your feedback.
Watching games on tv helps with the understanding of the game (just make sure you ignore anything that Stuart Barnes, Jonathan Davies and Lawrence Dallaglio say) Also, if you look on the big screens, it tells you what the penalty is for and even when advantage is being played.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

TV games on the away front are great, but with the exception pf London Venues except Twickers I prefer to see the matches live. Last year went To Sale, Newcastle, Coventry and Worcester, and this year I'm hoping to add Reading to that list.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

dpoc74 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:56 am
.....(also the fact I am still trying to work out the exact laws of the game (ie why was that a penalty!) therefore don't really feel it safe to post on rugby matters yet. Need another few decades of rugby watching before I think I can hazard an opinion :smt002 )
Welcome!!

You appear to have the ideal qualifications to become an AP referee!!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Unless there us some pressing reason like illness or a family function eg a wedding etc I can't see the point of watching home games on the Tele when you need to be at Welford road supporting the lads.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Wake up Noddy lol,I watch them again on the telly as well as going to the game!