Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu sent home

Post by h's dad »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:27 pm
Soggypitch wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:49 pm Westwinds (and others) do you not get that what Manu did on the eve of an England training session had nothing to do with being a role model (or with social responsibility for that matter).

Eddie Jones sent him home for being an idiot. Drinking to excess the night before an England training session is just plain stupid and completely unacceptable behaviour for a professional sportsman.

There really is nothing more to be said!
and that is all he should be taken to task over, being an idiot by doing that
Seven pages of posts suggest that isn't necessarily the case.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

What price Rob Webber ever playing for England again? He's 31, dropping down the pecking order fast and now banned from driving for 23 months, having stopped off at Knutsford services to throw up beside his (no doubt sponsored) Land Rover and was returning from playing rugby for Sale Sharks. Puts the faux outrage at the Manu incident into perspective imho.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Exactly,6 pints and driving is a disgrace! Wasn't in England's thoughts anyway but still...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Grimlish wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:23 pm What price Rob Webber ever playing for England again? He's 31, dropping down the pecking order fast and now banned from driving for 23 months, having stopped off at Knutsford services to throw up beside his (no doubt sponsored) Land Rover and was returning from playing rugby for Sale Sharks. Puts the faux outrage at the Manu incident into perspective imho.
Ha, sick notes, how apt!
Never rated Webber, I reckon I could throw better one handed and move quicker with a shoelace tied around my ankles, now I know why!
Professionals, pfft! :smt043
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Seems the sentencing magistrate also feels that such people should be role models...

Jill Hodges, chair of the bench of magistrates, said: “You are a professional sports player and should be setting an example to children and those who follow your club."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Grimlishwrote, puts the faux outrage at the Manu incident into perspective imho.
Awful behaviour by Webber but at least he didn't assault the arresting police officers.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:53 pm Seems the sentencing magistrate also feels that such people should be role models...

Jill Hodges, chair of the bench of magistrates, said: “You are a professional sports player and should be setting an example to children and those who follow your club."
Won't somebody think of the children....

Seriously, the research shows children tend to draw their role models from people who are accessible to them (parents, siblings, teachers and so forth) rather than remote celebs and sports stars. Also there are different categories; while a child might try to emulate a positive model they can also choose not to emulate a negative one. So I might admire many aspects of my father's behaviour but choose not to emulate some of his more questionable attitudes. So worry about role models should start closer to home before looking externally.

Quite why a 'professional sports player' should stand in a category of 'positive role model' is a reasonable question, as opposed to, for example, a rock star. You couldn't imagine a judge, or at least one in their right mind, telling Keith Richards to be a better role model.

Personally I've always taken Iggy Pop as mine :smt002
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

kend wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 amWon't somebody think of the children....

Seriously, the research shows children tend to draw their role models from people who are accessible to them (parents, siblings, teachers and so forth) rather than remote celebs and sports stars.
With respect, a lot of the research doesn't show that at all, certainly not to exclusivity. There seems to be very much a balance with different influencers having affects in different areas.
kend wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 amAlso there are different categories; while a child might try to emulate a positive model they can also choose not to emulate a negative one. So I might admire many aspects of my father's behaviour but choose not to emulate some of his more questionable attitudes. So worry about role models should start closer to home before looking externally.
Of you, on yourself, you are neither unbiased nor statistically relevant.
kend wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 am
Quite why a 'professional sports player' should stand in a category of 'positive role model' is a reasonable question, as opposed to, for example, a rock star.
Why opposed to?
kend wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 amYou couldn't imagine a judge, or at least one in their right mind, telling Keith Richards to be a better role model.
You have to be a bit Bismarckian and deal in the art of the possible
Good for you. The efficacy of attempting to pick your own role model might make an interesting study.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

BigDan50 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:28 am Grimlishwrote, puts the faux outrage at the Manu incident into perspective imho.
Awful behaviour by Webber but at least he didn't assault the arresting police officers.
I'd ask you to remind us of what actually happened but you don't seem to know.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm not sure outrage is the right term to reflect Manu's actions.
However it is disappointing to find he has shown so little respect for the expectations of his national coach.

Going on the lash is fine in the right circumstances - but only an idiot would do that on a 3 day England training camp without it being sanctioned as part of down time.
As internationals in the public eye players have to set a standard of behaviour off the field too even if it is not criminal behaviour.

Should Eddie Jones have aired his feelings in public? If he punished them in private then why are we aware of it.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

h's dad wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:34 pm
kend wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 amWon't somebody think of the children....

Seriously, the research shows children tend to draw their role models from people who are accessible to them (parents, siblings, teachers and so forth) rather than remote celebs and sports stars.
With respect, a lot of the research doesn't show that at all, certainly not to exclusivity. There seems to be very much a balance with different influencers having affects in different areas.
kend wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 amAlso there are different categories; while a child might try to emulate a positive model they can also choose not to emulate a negative one. So I might admire many aspects of my father's behaviour but choose not to emulate some of his more questionable attitudes. So worry about role models should start closer to home before looking externally.
Of you, on yourself, you are neither unbiased nor statistically relevant.
Quite why a 'professional sports player' should stand in a category of 'positive role model' is a reasonable question, as opposed to, for example, a rock star.
Why opposed to?
kend wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 amYou couldn't imagine a judge, or at least one in their right mind, telling Keith Richards to be a better role model.
You have to be a bit Bismarckian and deal in the art of the possible
Good for you. The efficacy of attempting to pick your own role model might make an interesting study.
With equal respect, the research that is currently driving policy does - off the top of my head Kniveton, Anderson and Cavallaro? And I'm not citing myself as an example, I'm illustrating Gibson's categories of role models and that they operate in different ways. But hey, psychology is a contested subject. I'll take my view (I'm interested in how 'role models' influence individual narratives) and you take yours :smt003
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

kend wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:19 pmWith equal respect, the research that is currently driving policy does - off the top of my head Kniveton, Anderson and Cavallaro? And I'm not citing myself as an example, I'm illustrating Gibson's categories of role models and that they operate in different ways. But hey, psychology is a contested subject. I'll take my view (I'm interested in how 'role models' influence individual narratives) and you take yours :smt003
"More girls than boys have role models (82% vs. 75%). Girls are also more likely to choose role
models from within the immediate family, while more boys chose a sportsperson." I was going to say that this from the National Literacy Trust may be a little out of date but it seems to be a lot more current than the work you refer to. Interesting that Gibson says role models can be fictional. I thought you did refer to yourself as an example. Re-reading it, I still do. I really don't have a view on this and appreciate what you are sharing, please keep it simple for me.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Rob Baxter insists Aviva Premiership champions Exeter will keep celebrating big triumphs with a few beers, despite rugby running into several recent high-profile drink-related problems.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/ ... inking-ban
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:09 am Rob Baxter insists Aviva Premiership champions Exeter will keep celebrating big triumphs with a few beers, despite rugby running into several recent high-profile drink-related problems.

Absolutely right to!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

watsonjm wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:17 am
drc_007 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:09 am Rob Baxter insists Aviva Premiership champions Exeter will keep celebrating big triumphs with a few beers, despite rugby running into several recent high-profile drink-related problems.

Absolutely right to!
Absolutely, what are big triumphs if they are not for celebrating, especially when something is worked so hard for!
Accepted a few beers can also help some people relax.
It's not having a few beers that is in question, it's the time and the place!