Manu sent home

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BIttySmalls

Re: Manu sent home

Post by BIttySmalls »

Qbec wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:09 pm Before this thread gets any worse is it at all possible that some on here could wait until the club has spoken to Manu on his return & they make a judgement on the issue, Rather than some on here vilifying the man when we know nothing.
That's way too sensible!!!

Why wait for the facts when you can virtuously signal your outrage at every opportunity?
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

G.K wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:44 pm TBH I can't see him being worth his money for Tigers or England anytime soon.
Manu does seem to be at a cross roads now fit, he'll have a great season and earn a new contract or misfire and be offloaded whilst worth a few bob. Hopefully the former!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Perhaps what we should be concerned about is whether Manu would take this attitude to the Tigers training regime. Also note the coordination with/between clubs on this with almost identical statements on both club websites.
As Good As It Gets
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Without becoming a prophet of doom, if - IF - the story about getting in drunk as dawn breaks is true, then he may have done serious longer term damage to his international career. In which case, a move to the money-pot which is France becomes attractive.

Just saying...
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Telusa Vieanu put on his Instagram story a video of Manu walking down the coach departing to Swansea, so by the looks of it he got a telling off from MOC but will still go to Wales on preseason
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... hread.html

Yes it's a typical tabloid headline, but if the essence of the story is correct and Manu went on a drinking session until the early hours, the night before an England training session, then you have to question his judgment or to be more brutal his sanity.

I think it's very unlikely Eddie will pick him in the squad for the autumn internationals and frankly that's right, he needs to grow up and start acting like a professional sportsman, starting with playing and being fully committed to Leicester who have been paying his very high wages and whom he has let down again.

I'm sure he has been working extremely hard to get fully fit and he's had some really bad luck with injuries, which makes this incident even more inexplicable.
Soggypitch
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Yes EJ can come across as a bit of a disciplinarian, a control freak, as very 'buttoned up'. Maybe Manu needed disciplinary action taken against him. But it is far from clear that EJ has a 'one strike and you're out' policy. Manu has (unhelpfully) provided some headlines but we don't yet know how this incident is seen longer term.

Jones is not certainly not stupid. If Manu promises to be good and delivers on that AND if plays his game to his potential he'll be back. Storm, teacup, summer silly season.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Manu is an extremely talented rugby player, he could be a truly great player but at this stage it's only could.
No player is that good that they can afford to be lax in their attitude if they want to become a great.
Everyone wants him to do it for Tigers and fans of other clubs want to see him doing it for England and he could, but IMO the point of no return is becoming ever closer as time waits for no man.
Bags of talent but IMO Champions are the ones who want it most!
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Details from BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40851494

Appears the squad went out for dinner, then back to the hotel, then Manu and Solomona went out again til 4am in contravention of curfew.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

But apparently there was no curfew or drinking rules! Storm in a pint glass,soon blow over!
Flash

Post by Flash »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:16 am But apparently there was no curfew or drinking rules! Storm in a pint glass,soon blow over!
Maybe not an actual curfew but it appears the rest of the squad knew what was expected of them.

I'm sure if he plays well then he'll probably be called up again.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Soggypitch wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:48 am http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... hread.html

Yes it's a typical tabloid headline, but if the essence of the story is correct and Manu went on a drinking session until the early hours, the night before an England training session, then you have to question his judgment or to be more brutal his sanity.

I think it's very unlikely Eddie will pick him in the squad for the autumn internationals and frankly that's right, he needs to grow up and start acting like a professional sportsman, starting with playing and being fully committed to Leicester who have been paying his very high wages and whom he has let down again.

I'm sure he has been working extremely hard to get fully fit and he's had some really bad luck with injuries, which makes this incident even more inexplicable.
Manu is no longer a teenager going out to get "ratted!" he is mid twenties and really should have a greater respect of those paying his wages - England and Tigers have put a lot of effort into him and he has let them all down. He was due to model the new England shirts on Monday but this too was overshadowed by his dismissal and Danny Care had to step in and model the shirt as it was much too big for Ben Youngs. So will Manu be disciplined by the RFU Suits? Probably. Will Manu be disciplined by Tigers for destroying the Monday signings announcements? Well I would not like to be in the room with Manu when confronted with Peter Tom, Cohen, O'Connor, Ged Glynn and the playing committee. I am hoping he now excels for Tigers and shows his real potential in playing and not in pints.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Well said August.

Yes, you can look it with our blinkers on and say - "They had a few beers, and there was no curfew, so what" - but the bottom line is that clearly the players themselves have set a standard to which they all want to adhere. If Manu and DS breach that, they are not just betraying the trust of the coaches who have put faith in them, they are betraying the rest of the squad who have set that standard. Hence why it's been described as a 'breach of culture'.

That being said, whilst it is moronic, I don't think it is a career-killer. I suspect that, had this been in the middle of the Six Nations or AIs, they would have been given a serious b*llocking by Jones and beasted in training with a hangover until they vomitted. And then get back to it. With the current situation, this was a 3 day camp of which 1 day remained, and Jones has - completely fairly - used it as an opportunity to reinforce those standards which already exist.

If Manu and DS get their heads screwed on and play well, I would be surprised not see them back in the mix for the AIs.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I have a bit of difficulty seeing how people can brush this off so easily. In any walk of life, going out until 4am when you have to work the next day really is not a clever thing to do, drinking or not. Add to that the fact that Manu is trying to make his way back into a successful England squad at the expense of someone who has put in the work over the last couple of years and I think the actions can best be described as stupid.

Is it hanging offence, no. Is it something that should spell the end of this England career, that is more debateable. Manu seems to have a habit of doing stupid things at inopportune times. Now would be the time to keep his head down and focus on nothing but his fitness and his performances. With a season rapidly approaching and fans, both Tigers and England, waiting expectantly on what he is now capable of, going out until 4am, whether drinking or not, should not even be on his radar. Get his head down, play well and this will all soon be forgotten, slip up again (and I think this includes doing something stupid on the pitch) and that could be that as far as international rugby is concerned.

Hopefully this is the kick up the backside that he needs to get focused on his rugby career but my concern is that many people have said those same words several times before. I for one am hoping that in years to come we are all talking about a stellar career rather than lamenting what could have been