Manu sent home

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu sent home

Post by Noddy555 »

It's all very well fielding excuses for Manu's behaviour but after a time it gets boring. When will he Man up excuse the pun as he's not setting a very good example to our younger fans!
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

Soggypitch wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:56 pm
murphy15 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:45 pm Excellent piece of man management from MoC today regarding this. Protecting his man, just like EJ did with Ford when he was criticised (albeit for different reasons). Personally I like it when a manager tells people to back off in no uncertain terms. I expect a positive response from MT to his coach now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40935725
I agree but I bet he got a serious telling off in private!!
Definitely! And deservedly!
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Noddy555 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:13 pm It's all very well fielding excuses for Manu's behaviour but after a time it gets boring. When will he Man up excuse the pun as he's not setting a very good example to our younger fans!
how about our younger fans look to their parents on how to conduct themselves in public and stick to judging sportsmen solely on their sporting performances?

I'm sick to death of people wanting celebs to raise their kids for them, parent them and tell them why Manu was a prat for doing this
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:47 pm
Noddy555 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:13 pm It's all very well fielding excuses for Manu's behaviour but after a time it gets boring. When will he Man up excuse the pun as he's not setting a very good example to our younger fans!
how about our younger fans look to their parents on how to conduct themselves in public and stick to judging sportsmen solely on their sporting performances?

I'm sick to death of people wanting celebs to raise their kids for them, parent them and tell them why Manu was a prat for doing this
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect professional sports people to be good role models. Did you never have a boyhood hero? Mine was Godfrey Evans and I don't think my parents ever expected him to play a part in my upbringing!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:56 pm

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect professional sports people to be good role models. Did you never have a boyhood hero? Mine was Godfrey Evans and I don't think my parents ever expected him to play a part in my upbringing!
yes I had several, I wanted to PLAY like them not be like them off the pitch
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:59 pm
strawclearer wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:56 pm

yes I had several, I wanted to PLAY like them not be like them off the pitch
The whole role model thing is always a debatable subject. The point for me is not that he's let down his fans as a role model, it's that he's let down his England teammates and coaches by showing levels of professionalism less than his place in the England squad deserves. Being out until 4/5am drinking the morning of a full contact training session shows a simply unacceptable lack of commitment and professionalism.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

murphy15 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:45 pm Excellent piece of man management from MoC today regarding this. Protecting his man, just like EJ did with Ford when he was criticised (albeit for different reasons). Personally I like it when a manager tells people to back off in no uncertain terms. I expect a positive response from MT to his coach now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40935725
More like an an excellent piece of cobblers to me, trying to make out Manu is a victim now?

As others have said, it's time for Manu to shape up :smt038 or ship out :smt039
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Couldn't agree more with you Jimmy Skitz these days Parents seem to grab any opportunity to blame someone else for failing to bring up their children properly. It's usually Teachers who get the blame but if that won't wash they'll blame the media, Cinema and Sports stars to avoid taking responsibility. So much Hogwash is talked about Human rights and very little about Citizen's responsibilities.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Agree completely Tiglon. Some people just don't get it.
Soggypitch
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Post of the year for me...superbly put. I was a massive fan of George Best as a kid, and I wanted to play football like him, not emulate his drinking exploits, for which I didn't give a monkeys.

By the same token, parents should be role models for their kids, but not to the extent of some of today's parents, in particular mums who insist on their daughters being their "best friends".
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The behaviour is no different to what is often the stereotyped British youngster on a weekend.
UK culture in general takes much blame IMO.
The trouble is as famous people they do little to improve that culture by joining it, and as professional sports people actually are promoting that boozing and partying culture to another level.
Are youngsters influenced by forces outside of the family environment, you bet they are!
It wouldn't happen like this in Samoa which says plenty!

Anyway aside from the good or not role model malarkey anyone who thinks England will win the next World Cup by preparing in nightclubs, or Tigers the Premiership or Champions Cup, are greatly mistaken!
Last edited by BFG on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Noddy555 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:16 am Couldn't agree more with you Jimmy Skitz these days Parents seem to grab any opportunity to blame someone else for failing to bring up their children properly. It's usually Teachers who get the blame but if that won't wash they'll blame the media, Cinema and Sports stars to avoid taking responsibility. So much Hogwash is talked about Human rights and very little about Citizen's responsibilities.
Ooh I do like a good generalisation. This one is total rubbish, but good effort.

As a parent of 9 & 6 year old kids I feel i have authority to rubbish the quote.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ads wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:31 pm
Noddy555 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:16 am Couldn't agree more with you Jimmy Skitz these days Parents seem to grab any opportunity to blame someone else for failing to bring up their children properly. It's usually Teachers who get the blame but if that won't wash they'll blame the media, Cinema and Sports stars to avoid taking responsibility. So much Hogwash is talked about Human rights and very little about Citizen's responsibilities.
Ooh I do like a good generalisation. This one is total rubbish, but good effort.

As a parent of 9 & 6 year old kids I feel i have authority to rubbish the quote.
If you follow the thread carefully you will see that Noddy covered himself with this:
It's either schizophrenia or a damascene conversion.

It is worth noting that just about everybody with an employment contract will have a clause in it with reference to 'social responsibility.' There are reasons for this and Manu will certainly not be an exception.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Westwinds (and others) do you not get that what Manu did on the eve of an England training session had nothing to do with being a role model (or with social responsibility for that matter).

Eddie Jones sent him home for being an idiot. Drinking to excess the night before an England training session is just plain stupid and completely unacceptable behaviour for a professional sportsman.

There really is nothing more to be said!
Soggypitch
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Soggypitch wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:49 pm Westwinds (and others) do you not get that what Manu did on the eve of an England training session had nothing to do with being a role model (or with social responsibility for that matter).

Eddie Jones sent him home for being an idiot. Drinking to excess the night before an England training session is just plain stupid and completely unacceptable behaviour for a professional sportsman.

There really is nothing more to be said!
and that is all he should be taken to task over, being an idiot by doing that