Rise in wages

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrG
Tiger Cub

Rise in wages

Post by MrG »

Can you believe the irony. Alex Sanderson in TRP complaining about the rise in salaries. In the words of my mom "well you started it"
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rise in wages

Post by L Smith »

Yes! Wonder how they'll manage their squad once Itoje becomes a £1m+ player?!
The beginning of the end?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It's the way of the free market.

Is it sustainable or will it end in tears. There is only so much sponsorship, gate and TV money will bring in.

Soccer is a global game and you do wonder if that is out of control, rugby won't sustain anything like that level of money.
SuperEagle
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SuperEagle »

And yet we can't afford to pay our female players anything...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

SuperEagle wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:20 pm And yet we can't afford to pay our female players anything...
If you're talking about the RFU not paying the women, then no one (including the men) should be paid to play for their country anyway.

It is an honour to play for your country, you should not be paid for it!
MrG
Tiger Cub

Post by MrG »

Whilst I agree in principle Ellis unfortunately the girls don't earn enough money from their clubs so if they don't get international contracts then they have to have full time jobs. It's easy to be principled if you can afford it.
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

L Smith wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:00 am Yes! Wonder how they'll manage their squad once Itoje becomes a £1m+ player?!
The beginning of the end?
The same way they seemingly manage to recruit top players every season without it seemingly having an impact on the 'salary cap'.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

MrG wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:55 pm Whilst I agree in principle Ellis unfortunately the girls don't earn enough money from their clubs so if they don't get international contracts then they have to have full time jobs. It's easy to be principled if you can afford it.
Isn't that what most sport is all about?
Not many sports are professional and of those that are it is only at a certain level.

Does women's rugby draw a large enough audience and with it income to pay it's players? If it does then the players should share in the profits.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I don't begrudge stars of the game getting big money as long as they earn it! After all they may get 10 years at the very top if they are lucky and have to provide for the rest of their life. That is if by ill chance their career is not cut short by injury. Remember your working life time usually will spread from 18 to 65 a period of 47 years. OK maybe you won't earn a tenth of what they do, but that's your choice,
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Noddy555 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:14 pm I don't begrudge stars of the game getting big money as long as they earn it! After all they may get 10 years at the very top if they are lucky and have to provide for the rest of their life. That is if by ill chance their career is not cut short by injury. Remember your working life time usually will spread from 18 to 65 a period of 47 years. OK maybe you won't earn a tenth of what they do, but that's your choice,
Yes but - let's not get too precious on their behalf. Many people have career changes forced on them; have to retrain and seek further employment. My days as a gas street lamp fitter served me well before I became an IT guru, for example. They know their rugby playing career at the top earning good money is time limited and, when it ends, they simply need to find another paying career - as do we all.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:41 pm Yes but - let's not get too precious on their behalf. Many people have career changes forced on them; have to retrain and seek further employment. My days as a gas street lamp fitter served me well before I became an IT guru, for example. They know their rugby playing career at the top earning good money is time limited and, when it ends, they simply need to find another paying career - as do we all.
Ah strawclearer! - but being a Leicester gas street lamp fitter meant that you were close by to Tigers ground to assist in the essential clearance duties befitting your career progression.
A gas meter was an early computer too.... So it was not the last straw was it!! :smt043
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!