Starting 15 Next Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

HarryTigerFan

Starting 15 Next Season

Post by HarryTigerFan »

1. Ellis Genge (Michele Rizzo, Logo Mulipola)
2. Tom Youngs (George McGuigan, Harry Thacker)
3. Dan Cole (Pat Cillers, Greg Bateman)
4. Dom Barrow (Ed Slater, Harry Wells)
5. Mike Fitzgrald (Graham Kitchener)
6. Mike Williams (Lachlan McCaffrey, Tom Croft)
7. Brendon O’Connor (Dominic Ryan, Will Evans)
8. Sione Kalamafoni (Valentino Mapapalangi, Luke Hamilton)

9. Ben Youngs (Sam Harrison, Jono Kitto)
10. George Ford (Joe Ford)
11. Jonah Holmes (Tom Brady)
12.Matt Toomua (Gareth Owen, Matt Smith)
13.Manu Tuilagi (Nick Malouf, George Catchpole)
14.Adam Thompstone
15.Telusa Veainu (Matt Tait, George Worth)

My starting 15 next season, barring injuries I think looks strong and the cover looks good for the forwards. Excited to see the new signings. However, still think the backs look light for cover. Feel we still need a 2nd/3rd choice 10, a 12/13 and someone who can cover the back 3. A full back who could cover 10 would be good, like a Damian McKenzie. One big name signing like a Tamanivalu or Fekitoa would also be nice
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Starting 15 Next Season

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I think another prop is needed too, especially given the Cole and Cilliers late start to the season.
I'm not too concerned with the depth at centre now, but agree the back three needs a couple of additions. Couple of wingers, ideally one who can also play fullback. I think it's clear 10 is going to be covered my Toomua in bigger games if needed, and by Harrison and Worth during Anglo Welsh games. If there was a 15/10 available, great, plus a further winger with real explosive skills, a Tuilagi/Goneva type threat would be ideal. Bound to be some young Tongans/Fijians/Samoans about who haven't quite made the cut at Super rugby and are looking for contracts, worked for us with Veianu.

Genge, (Mulipola), (Rizzo)
Youngs, (Mcguigan), (Thacker)
Cole, (Cilliers), (Bateman)
Slater, (Kitchener), (Wells)
Barrow, (Fitzgerald), (Maksymiw)
Williams, (Hamilton), (Croft)
O'Connor, (Ryan), (Evans)
Kalamafoni, (Macafferey), (Mapapalangi)
Youngs, (Harrison), (Kitto)
Ford, (Ford), (Hardwick)
Holmes, (Catchpole)
Toomua, (Owen), (Smith)
Tuilagi, (Tait), (Malouf)
Thompstone, (Brady)
Veianu, (Worth)

New prop. Two new back 3 players. Pretty devent balance. Don't think there'll be any big name signings, probably just some Southern Hemisphere projects like Veianu and Mafi were.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Currently I would like to see a first 23 of
1) Genge, 2) Youngs, 3) Cole
4) Kitchener, 5) Barrow (Would be my captain)
6) Williams, 7) Ryan, 8) Kalamafoni
9) Youngs, 10) Ford
12) Toomua, 13) Manu
11) Thompstone, 14) Holmes, 15) Veainu

16) McGugian, 17) Mulipola, 18) Bateman (I like his running lines and his scrums have been good IMO)
19) Slater, 20) BOC
21) Harrison, 22) Ford, 23) Tait (I guess)

and a Anglo welsh/ A league team of (From what i can remember Tigers when MOC was involved tended to rest most of the regular 23 squad in the LV cup).
1) Rizzo, 2) Thacker, 3) Cilliers
4) Fitzgerald, 5) Wells
6) Croft, 7) Evans, 8) Hamilton
9) Kitto, 10) Ford
12) Owen, 13) Thacker
11) Brady, 14) Catchpole, 15) Tait

16) Mahoney, 17) Hills, 18) Betts,
19) Mapapalangi , 20) McCaffrey
21) White, 22) Hardwick, 23) Worth

Got to say i'm not to confident with the backs quaility. Youngs, Harrison, Ford, Toomua, Manu, Thompstone, Veainu are great but it's quite a drop off after that.

I expect a few more player changes before the season starts.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Squad as I see it.
1. Genge. Rizzo. Hills.
2. Youngs. McGuigan Thacker Bateman covers all three front row positions
3. Coles Mulipola Cilliers Betts
4. Barrow Kitchener Macsymiw
5. Slater Fitzgerald Wells
6. Williams Ryan Croft
7. O'Connor Evans MaCaffrey
8. Kalamafoni Hamilton Mapapilangi
9. Youngs Harrison Kitto White. Simmons (he is quick could possibly play wing)
10. Ford G. Ford J Hardwick.
11. Holmes Brady Catchpole
12. Toomua. Owen. Smith.
13.Tuilagi Thacker C Olowfela
!4, Thompstone Milouf
15. Veainu Tait Worth,

The strength of the squad is in the versatility of players, Worth covers 15, 10 and centre. Tait 15 and 12, Toomua 12 and 10 the back row are virtually interchangeable. I think we could possibly do with another prop, there are rumours about an American and possibly a back three player but to be honest that squad doesn't look too bad and the first fifteen (or 23) looks pretty good if all are fit.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Starting front row picks itself, Kitchener started to play like his old self after Cockers departure so would have and Barrow in the row. Back row will be interesting BOC has to be at 7 he is a class apart

Back line again when all fit picks itself with Holmes, who I think could be revalation, and Thompstone, probably the most under rated winger in the premiership, on the wings.

The squad is crying out for a Marty McKenzie type player, equally adept at 10 or 15. Would love to see a game changer like him in a Tigers short
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Thought it was Damian McKenzie that was a 10/15, in the kiwi mix. Marty McKenzie is more a wing/fullback, not quite in the all blacks mix.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:57 pm Thought it was Damian McKenzie that was a 10/15, in the kiwi mix. Marty McKenzie is more a wing/fullback, not quite in the all blacks mix.
Damian is in line for AB selection. Marty seems to play 10/12/15 at ITM level and wing/15 at Super 15 level. Marty isn't close to the ABs but he does look like he'd be a good club level player in the NH. Damian is unlikely to leave NZ.

Marty would have been a great signing but I think we have signed the lad from the Scarlets instead.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Damian was called into the New Zealand squad as cover for Ben Smith ahead of Jordie Barrett. Wouldn't surprise me if either of those 2 were called into the starting team after Beauden missing some very makable kicks and costing them the game.

Marty no where near the All blacks squad and my memory is of him as a 10/15. With recent departures I'm sure there would be money for him
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I was told by a senior rugby coach that in the current game he would expect 25% of the squad to have been injured by mid season. Not season ending but serious enough to have to miss a match or two.

Whilst Tigers first 15 is a match for anyone, perhaps the critical concern is who would be available mid season?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicester's 23 looks extremely good on paper.
Beyond that it's flaky IMO!
A lot of new signings and if they all work out well then Leicester will be up there seriously challenging, if not then it's just a question of just how much the depth is tested.
BustersGonads

Post by BustersGonads »

Interesting how the Club website has Toomua listed as a Fly-Half!
I'll have a pint of Tiger and a packet of scratchings please!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

BustersGonads wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:14 pm Interesting how the Club website has Toomua listed as a Fly-Half!
I guess because he has played at 10 for the Brumbies and Auss? I always thought he came to WR as a 10/12?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
BustersGonads

Post by BustersGonads »

Ditto, with his main berth being at 12
I'll have a pint of Tiger and a packet of scratchings please!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Harry Tiger Fan if we can select the 15 to start the first game from the first selections in your list then I would with the exception of Kalamafoni ( for me it should be Luke Hamilton) be very pleased, But I think you may be hovering on a wing or a prayer.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:57 pm Thought it was Damian McKenzie that was a 10/15, in the kiwi mix. Marty McKenzie is more a wing/fullback, not quite in the all blacks mix.
Damian is in line for AB selection. Marty seems to play 10/12/15 at ITM level and wing/15 at Super 15 level. Marty isn't close to the ABs but he does look like he'd be a good club level player in the NH. Damian is unlikely to leave NZ.

Marty would have been a great signing but I think we have signed the lad from the Scarlets instead.
Does it really matter what they are as we haven't been told officially that we have either, one or neither of them? :smt017
God created rugby so footballers have heros too