Super Rugby additions to Pro12

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Super Rugby additions to Pro12

Post by Grimlish »

If the strong rumours about South African involvement in the Pro12 prove correct what does that mean for the Aviva? South African money could take that league to new heights and new places (not just SA but USA is rumoured for further team franchises).

Is the integrity and wealth of the Premiership under threat? More 'homes' games at Allianz Park for the South African teams could create new allegiances. Is thePremiership missing out on big opportunities here? This was rumoured a while ago as a move into the Premiership. If that's not gone ahead, why not?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Super Rugby additions to Pro12

Post by drc_007 »

More details here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40448854

So will they be allowed to play in the European competitions also?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The Pro12 is a multi-national tournament. The Premiership isn't. There's your difference. Allowing South African teams into the Premiership would be a massive can of worms that we could well do without.

Anyway, is South Africa really all that awash with money?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean you are making a mountain out of a mole hill IMO.

South Africa has money but it still isn't the prem levels money.

Also Wales, Scotland and Ireland clubs are heavily influenced by the Unions so i doubt they will want an big influx of foreign players.

The biggest thing might be luring those players away.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

There are a lot more billionaires in the UK than in South Africa, so I'm not sure what the comment about South African money is based on.

I'm not convinced it's that likely to go ahead anyway, there are many potential problems.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

The rumour I heard was that when the AP realised that this was a serious proposition, they approached the Pro12 proposing a British and Irish league. However the starting proposal was that the Pro12 would be division two, at which point the Celts told them where to shove it.

There seems to be a strong sense that this is going to happen this season. A lot of talk of two seven team conferences and around 20 games. And the saffers are effectively going to double the tv money currently produced by the league.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I recall when the tie up between the Premiership and the saffers was first mooted a couple of years back when the old Heineken Cup died, most of the pro12 fan sites were ridiculing it and calling it a desperate move(the Irish in particular), how times have changed. If I remember right the travel time and costs were considered a hurdle difficult to mount. However if the sides rejected by the southern hemisphere are in the pro12, that's fine by me.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
bageo
Tiger Cub

Post by bageo »

Gatland will need a new law! :smt018

All Welsh players will need to play for English or French clubs as the timezone of playing in South Africa (or even America) would not permit him to pick these players to play for Wales without at least a months break.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

SA is only 2 hours ahead of us, can't see it being a problem. America would be, but I havn't seen any proposals for either N or S American teams for the pro 12
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think that the Pro12 has lost it's sense of direction they should be including a Georgian team and possibly one from Germany. WE won't develop the game worldwide by including Southern Hemisphere teams in European leagues or competitions.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

It makes more sense to combine countries in a similar time zone, both for the players but also the live TV audience.

As for Georgia there ought to be an eastern Europe league with Romania etc.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

To be fair they're only following the Eurovision song contest................................................... :smt005
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Tigerburnie will you get the Eurovision song contest out of your head. It bears no correlation to Rugby Union.Georgia nave been banging at the door for entry into the six nations and European leagues for the last 5 years and if you know anything about the Georgians you must realise that they will eventually be successful even if it takes 20 years to batter down the doors and get at the stuffed shirts who run our game.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I don't think Georgian club sides would compete with Pro 12 teams apart from the Italian but I do believe there should be a second European division below the 6 Nations with promotion and relegation. Georgia, Russia, Poland, Spain, Portugal possibly Germany or Rumania would make a competitive league.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:24 am I don't think Georgian club sides would compete with Pro 12 teams apart from the Italian but I do believe there should be a second European division below the 6 Nations with promotion and relegation. Georgia, Russia, Poland, Spain, Portugal possibly Germany or Rumania would make a competitive league.
Kind of already happens with the European Challenge Cup I suppose, but the support to developing nations certainly needs some real work.

I suppose logistically for a season long league, looking at the countries you've listed one of the problems you face is distance, and therefore costs.

You'd have to hope that there's no side based in Vladivostok looking at away trips to Lisbon. (search in Google Maps).