Threats made against Cohen

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Threats made against Cohen

Post by JP14 »

While I don't agree,at all with any of board members and I think there should be replaced, death threats is certainly too far and I would never do that in the right frame of mind.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Any sort of threat is totally unacceptable and should be reported to the police - full stop! I don't like a great deal of what Simon does or is reputed to do but would assume that he does not have a free hand to do what he wants, but no-one in any job should be threatened and I will back him to the hilt in this respect. Disagree with him, call for his resignation and tell him he is wrong and that's fine by me.
Hehehehehehehehe
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Noddy555 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:27 pm These sick individuals need removing from society, permanently.
Counter death threats with this call? Seems appropriate...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:52 pm [quote=Noddy555 post_id=671365 time=<a href="tel:1501273644">1501273644</a> user_id=10229]
These sick individuals need removing from society, permanently.
Counter death threats with this call? Seems appropriate...
[/quote]

To be fair to Noddy, I don't think he is saying these people should be killed, just that they should be in prison.
trendylfj wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 am Any sort of threat is totally unacceptable and should be reported to the police - full stop! I don't like a great deal of what Simon does or is reputed to do but would assume that he does not have a free hand to do what he wants, but no-one in any job should be threatened and I will back him to the hilt in this respect. Disagree with him, call for his resignation and tell him he is wrong and that's fine by me.
Out of curiosity, what is it that Cohen and the board do that you don't like?
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes Ellis9 that is exactly what I meant and not just a slap on the wrists and a powder puff sentence or even worse a suspended sentence which I think should be abolished in their entirety, but at least a minimum of 3 years in prison without remission. If the offender is a young person he/she would have a long time to contemplate their folly,and if an older person well they're probably beyond redemption.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Noddy555 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:36 pm Yes Ellis9 that is exactly what I meant and not just a slap on the wrists and a powder puff sentence or even worse a suspended sentence which I think should be abolished in their entirety, but at least a minimum of 3 years in prison without remission. If the offender is a young person he/she would have a long time to contemplate their folly,and if an older person well they're probably beyond redemption.
So not permanent, then? Forgive me, but your original use of the word permanent suggested, as a minimum, a whole life tariff!

The more general point about this sort of behaviour is that it's fairly commonplace; death threats, rape threats, abuse, trolling, deception, barefaced lies are various quanta of idiocy that you get from ever-increasing social media usage and life lived vicariously through a computer (the irony of posting this on a forum is not lost on me).
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Skin and Muscle a good friend of mine who is a Prison Governor and a fellow Tigers fan would strongly disagree
with you, Depending on the offence a prison term of 15 years without remission is legally viewed as a life term.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Anyway skin and muscle, could you answer my question?

What is it about Cohen and the board that you don't like?
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Noddy555 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:18 pm Skin and Muscle a good friend of mine who is a Prison Governor and a fellow Tigers fan would strongly disagree
with you, Depending on the offence a prison term of 15 years without remission is legally viewed as a life term.
I stand by my point; a whole life tariff is a very different thing.
ellis9 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:39 pm Anyway skin and muscle, could you answer my question?

What is it about Cohen and the board that you don't like?
I can't remember ever voicing my distaste for Cohen (though there are a few things I don't agree with). I have a feeling that Cohen's tenure has been characterized by a greater turnover of players and an attitude to dealings which exemplifies the cliché of understanding the price of everything but the value of nothing. However, that might be unfair and simply coincide with the changing market so I've kept quiet!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Oh yes, my apologies, my question was meant to be to trendylfj, I got mixed up!

I'm still waiting for an answer from them as to why they dislike Cohen.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, you got a bonus answer out of me anyway :smt023
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 am Any sort of threat is totally unacceptable and should be reported to the police - full stop! I don't like a great deal of what Simon does or is reputed to do but would assume that he does not have a free hand to do what he wants, but no-one in any job should be threatened and I will back him to the hilt in this respect. Disagree with him, call for his resignation and tell him he is wrong and that's fine by me.
Out of curiosity, what is it that Cohen and the board do that you don't like?
[/quote]

To quell your curiosity -
1. I didn't like the way either Cohen or the board handled the salary cap investigations by not issuing any statement.
2. I didn't like the way Simon refused to answer a straight question I asked at a past AGM. The question was "can you assure us that we were not one of the 2 clubs being investigated?
3. I didn't like the way Mauger was apparently treated
Hehehehehehehehe
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Looking at the three things:

1. I didn't like the way either Cohen or the board handled the salary cap investigations by not issuing any statement.

Clubs were told not to comment on it. Tigers just followed what was asked. 10 other clubs didn't.

2. I didn't like the way Simon refused to answer a straight question I asked at a past AGM. The question was "can you assure us that we were not one of the 2 clubs being investigated?

See my comment under your 1st point.

3. I didn't like the way Mauger was apparently treated

"Apparently" is the key word. You don't exactly know how he was treated then.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Simon Cohen was in an impossible situation, The PRL investigations had come to a conclusion and the PRL committee had agreed confidentiality therefore no statement could be issued. We all believe we know which two clubs were being investigated but as Simon said probably no club was whiter than white all including Tigers had tried to exploit ambiguities in the rules however at least two clubs were in breech of the regulations but confidentiality means just that and it would be wrong to state any one club was not investigated there bye eliminating one of the possibilities.
Neither Aaron Mauger or Cocker were treated well, unfortunately professional sport is results based, neither had done anything wrong but we the fans expressed our displeasure or concern and some demanded the board take action, they did so and in the next season or so we will know of they got right. Should we win a major trophy (or two) we will credit the players possibly even Matt O Connor and his team but I doubt any of us will credit Simon or the Board as we will have found some other issue to moan about.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Whilst that may be true Griff it all depends what Cohen and the rest of the board do to mend their damaged relationship with the fans and this includes.

1. A complete overhaul of the PR Systems used.

2. Complete honesty at all times from all board members especially when attending fans forum meetings.

3, A unanimous boardroom decision to leave playing matters to the coaches with a review at the end of each season and no sooner.

4, To sponsor an investigation into salary cap abuses by all teams.

5, A change of attitude in their approach to the Women's game.