Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Locked
sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3856
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by sam16111986 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:58 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:17 pm
iceman_19 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:39 pm
Haven't seen much written about Amenaki Mafi of late. Whenever he plays, he looks awesome in a very poor Rebels side.

If it's ball carrying we want, he's got it in spades.

Given that the Rebels are possibly being wound up, it wouldn't surprise me to see him on the way.
Doubt the rebels will be cut.
I think the Rebels will be merged into one of the other teams, probably the Brumbies. The Force has financial support from WA and has progressed well this season scoring more than twice the league points of the Rebels. Abandoning Perth means the ARU will be operating professionally in only half of the country.

Given the mass loss of Aussie talent I'd expect the ARU to look to retain the local talent and maybe offload the likes of Mafi who aren't eligible for international selection.

markharbtiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:53 am

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by markharbtiger » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 am

RagingBull wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:17 pm
Props look fine to me IMO.
A fit Logo would be like a new signing anyway.

Cohen said something about signing a prop to cover Coles rest period i think.
Props fine as long as all six (I think that is correct) are available. Subtract the likely England contingent and an injury, then it's not looking quite so fine...
A quick review of Wasps, Sarries and Chiefs squads reveal seven or eight on the books...

Goshengareth
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Goshengareth » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:06 am

I'd be even happier if we had freed up even more budget by offloading Tait and Croft. They can't feature in the game plan more than JPP or Locky, however, the ones who've left are marketable and can get contracts, whereas Croft (in particular) and Tait are far less so.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8113
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by RagingBull » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:11 am

markharbtiger wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 am
RagingBull wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:17 pm
Props look fine to me IMO.
A fit Logo would be like a new signing anyway.

Cohen said something about signing a prop to cover Coles rest period i think.
Props fine as long as all six (I think that is correct) are available. Subtract the likely England contingent and an injury, then it's not looking quite so fine...
A quick review of Wasps, Sarries and Chiefs squads reveal seven or eight on the books...
Saracens have 7 but that's inculding a 22 year old development prop who has just been given his first senior contract, so pretty similar to Hills/Betts.
Wasps have 8 but one of them is PDJ...... So they might aswell have 7 also one is a 23 year old project player signed from Cambridge RFC.

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Scott11 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:01 am

Don't forget Greg " Jon Smit" Bateman can play both sides,he's better on the tight than the loose but is a top player,Mulipola can too. Has Scottish guy from Bristol signed?

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3856
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by sam16111986 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Scott11 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:01 am
Don't forget Greg " Jon Smit" Bateman can play both sides,he's better on the tight than the loose but is a top player,Mulipola can too. Has Scottish guy from Bristol signed?

We'll need Bateman and Mulipola fit early doors as Cole is on his enforced rest period and Cilliers has a lingering groin injury. Betts will have to be ready to step in and make his mark if we need him. If we are going to have these development props then we should be ready to use them.

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1897
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by JackFlashJonny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 am

The rugby paper states we are in advanced talks with Damien McKenzie and his brother Marty...would be a very handy couple of additions that's for sure

Also states we are talking to Arno Botha who failed a medical at Ulster this summer (sounds about right for us :smt003) I jest of course

I would rather wait and get a world class 8 when one becomes available than get another potential injury riddled player...not that I have seen much of Arno Botha personally...has anyone that can comment I am sure being a Bulls 8 he must be a big abrasive unit?

Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1817
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:16 pm
Location: St. Albans

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Snorbins » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:40 am

Fissler throwing names in the air in today's TRP. Damian McKenzie and brother Marty. No 8 Arno Botha (always seems injured so maybe cheap) and USA prop / hooked Chris Baumann.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8113
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by RagingBull » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:13 am

JackFlashJonny wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 am
The rugby paper states we are in advanced talks with Damien McKenzie and his brother Marty...would be a very handy couple of additions that's for sure

Also states we are talking to Arno Botha who failed a medical at Ulster this summer (sounds about right for us :smt003) I jest of course

I would rather wait and get a world class 8 when one becomes available than get another potential injury riddled player...not that I have seen much of Arno Botha personally...has anyone that can comment I am sure being a Bulls 8 he must be a big abrasive unit?
Botha is a abrasive hard running 8 of the Alberts/Vermeulen school of SA 8's. BUT he is like the Manu of the SA in terms always seems to get a injury.
Worth a gamble really i guess, give him a year contract at the right price maybe to get an idea of his injury situation and if it has affected his potential. Only reason Ulster chopped his contract was because of the IRFU limits on Non IRFU players, they couldn't afford to risk it on a limited roster slot.

IF Damien McKenzie is coming then i doubt we would have the funds to get a world class 8 currently would have to wait till next season so we can do another squad re-balancingso might as well look at potential options in the mean time. Who knows maybe one of the Tongan 8's we have shows excellent promise or if we do sign Botha maybe he comes good. (It can happen look at Wilko)

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3856
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by sam16111986 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:26 am

RagingBull wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:13 am
JackFlashJonny wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 am
The rugby paper states we are in advanced talks with Damien McKenzie and his brother Marty...would be a very handy couple of additions that's for sure

Also states we are talking to Arno Botha who failed a medical at Ulster this summer (sounds about right for us :smt003) I jest of course

I would rather wait and get a world class 8 when one becomes available than get another potential injury riddled player...not that I have seen much of Arno Botha personally...has anyone that can comment I am sure being a Bulls 8 he must be a big abrasive unit?
Botha is a abrasive hard running 8 of the Alberts/Vermeulen school of SA 8's. BUT he is like the Manu of the SA in terms always seems to get a injury.
Worth a gamble really i guess, give him a year contract at the right price maybe to get an idea of his injury situation and if it has affected his potential. Only reason Ulster chopped his contract was because of the IRFU limits on Non IRFU players, they couldn't afford to risk it on a limited roster slot.

IF Damien McKenzie is coming then i doubt we would have the funds to get a world class 8 currently would have to wait till next season so we can do another squad re-balancingso might as well look at potential options in the mean time. Who knows maybe one of the Tongan 8's we have shows excellent promise or if we do sign Botha maybe he comes good. (It can happen look at Wilko)
Agree on Botha. Well worth the risk of a one year deal. If we can sign him below market rate with the promise of an extension and parse if he manages x number of games, even better.

Not sure we need both McKenzie brothers, as you day Damian will not come cheap and NZ/Chiefs will be very keen on keeping him what with Cruden leaving.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8113
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by RagingBull » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:40 am

sam16111986 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:26 am
Agree on Botha. Well worth the risk of a one year deal. If we can sign him below market rate with the promise of an extension and parse if he manages x number of games, even better.

Not sure we need both McKenzie brothers, as you day Damian will not come cheap and NZ/Chiefs will be very keen on keeping him what with Cruden leaving.
Are NZ that keen on keeping him really? I don't think Hansen has him in his plans if i'm being honest.

Maybe 2/3 seasons in the NH earn a good pay check and show that he can cut it with the physical side of things in the NH, then returns to NZ with a new coach in charge. (I would imagine Hansen will leave after the 2019 RWC).

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Scott11 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:57 am

If we get Damian Mackenzie I'll streak at WR! He will be Chiefs number one now Cruden is leaving and right in the AB mix now Bin Smith is taking an 8 test sabbatical,not a chance lol

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8113
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by RagingBull » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:12 am

Scott11 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:57 am
If we get Damian Mackenzie I'll streak at WR! He will be Chiefs number one now Cruden is leaving and right in the AB mix now Bin Smith is taking an 8 test sabbatical,not a chance lol
Is he really in the AB mix?
Dagg and Jordie are ahead of him at 15.
NMS will prob be brought back into the squad on the wing leaving Dagg to focus more at XV.

Also expect Sopoaga and BB to be ahead of him 10 most likely also Jordie.

I just don't think Hansen rates DMAC (or at leasts trusts him) as much as everyone else and i think Hansen views it as Jorie or Mckenzie and unless injuries happen not both.

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Scott11 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 am

Just going by my AB mates,hope I'm wrong! Anyone got a link?

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1755
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by L Smith » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:34 am

Haven't seen much of DMAC but I remember him looking a bit panicky against the Lions.
TBF, I wouldn't judge anyone on such paltry evidence and the popular view is that he's a very good player so, if nothing else, it's nice that he's being linked with Tigers: not Bath, Wasps or SArries.
If he is genuinely on the AB fringes, it's difficult to think that he would give up the ghost so it's probably just agents talk at the minute.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], happywomble, Jacko27, KevinR, kpj tiger, sam16111986, TigerFeetSteve and 2 guests