Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Scuttle »

From what I have read the young man has an interesting choice: stay as third choice AB fly-half and third choice AB full-back, and back up scrum half; or come to Tigers and have a couple of years experiencing all that Europe has to offer in the wider sense. I feel the ABs are throwing ideas at him to try to keep him, without being able to make a firm commitment to him. I am still hopeful.
As Good As It Gets
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm From what I have read the young man has an interesting choice: stay as third choice AB fly-half and third choice AB full-back, and back up scrum half; or come to Tigers and have a couple of years experiencing all that Europe has to offer in the wider sense. I feel the ABs are throwing ideas at him to try to keep him, without being able to make a firm commitment to him. I am still hopeful.
I don't think even that's correct, B. Barrett, Sopoaga and Mo'unga would all be ahead as far as 10's (with Otere Black up and coming), B. Smith, Dagg and J. Barrett are preferred 15's and then A. Smith, Perenara and Pulu would be ahead at 9 at this stage too, for me Hansen doesn't trust him and so he's unlikely to ever get many AB caps under his reign, all of this chat from Hansen about him being in the AB plans is to just stop him being blamed for DMAC leaving NZ IMO.

That said I'd still be surprised if he comes over this season or next
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

BBC now reporting the May/Slater swap.

Apparently medicals taking place, deal to be finalised next week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40804483
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:52 pm
Scuttle wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm From what I have read the young man has an interesting choice: stay as third choice AB fly-half and third choice AB full-back, and back up scrum half; or come to Tigers and have a couple of years experiencing all that Europe has to offer in the wider sense. I feel the ABs are throwing ideas at him to try to keep him, without being able to make a firm commitment to him. I am still hopeful.
I don't think even that's correct, B. Barrett, Sopoaga and Mo'unga would all be ahead as far as 10's (with Otere Black up and coming), B. Smith, Dagg and J. Barrett are preferred 15's and then A. Smith, Perenara and Pulu would be ahead at 9 at this stage too, for me Hansen doesn't trust him and so he's unlikely to ever get many AB caps under his reign, all of this chat from Hansen about him being in the AB plans is to just stop him being blamed for DMAC leaving NZ IMO.

That said I'd still be surprised if he comes over this season or next
That is my point really. However many in front of him they are saying something amd nothing so they can be seen to make an effort
As Good As It Gets
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Great news. Very happy to have May. Some real speed as we've not had since Varndell.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

And the fact they keep saying this stuff while he says nothing suggests they feel the need to say it. IMHO it's still all possible.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Is there a back line in European rugby that's (on paper) better than....

Youngs
Ford
May
Toomua
Tuilagi
Thompstone
Veainu

...I doubt it.
Seal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Seal »

On paper last season we had:

Youngs
Burns
JPP
Toomua
Tuilagi
Thompstone
Veainu

Which I'd say is different, but on par with our "on paper" this season. And we all know how that turned out...

I'm interested to see who starts at 10 for pre-season games.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 pm Is there a back line in European rugby that's (on paper) better than....

Youngs
Ford
May
Toomua
Tuilagi
Thompstone
Veainu

...I doubt it.
Let's be honest; we are unlikely to see that until October, but:

15. Veaniu
14. Thommo
13. Tait
12. Toomua
11. May
10. Ford
9. Youngs

Still could be very attacking.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Reckon Manu will play during pre-season IMO.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:32 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 pm Is there a back line in European rugby that's (on paper) better than....

Youngs
Ford
May
Toomua
Tuilagi
Thompstone
Veainu

...I doubt it.
Let's be honest; we are unlikely to see that until October, but:

15. Veaniu
14. Thommo
13. Tait
12. Toomua
11. May
10. Ford
9. Youngs

Still could be very attacking.
If we somehow start the season with that backline fit - even if Manu does need longer - then I hope the chance is taken early on to get the likes of Catchpole, Jonah Holmes and Worth opportunities in strong back lines.

9.Youngs 10.G Ford 11.May 12.Toomua 13.Catchpole 14.Tombstone 15.Veainu

If Catchpole were to get opportunities at 13 again then he's far more likely to show what he's capable of in that side than with J Ford at 10, Taity or Gareth Own at 12 during an injury crisis. Likewise I'd love to see Worth at 15 with May and TV as his wingers.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Seal wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 pm On paper last season we had:

Youngs
Burns
JPP
Toomua
Tuilagi
Thompstone
Veainu

Which I'd say is different, but on par with our "on paper" this season. And we all know how that turned out...

Ford and May are significant upgrades on Burns and JPP.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Seal wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 pm On paper last season we had:

Youngs
Burns
JPP
Toomua
Tuilagi
Thompstone
Veainu

Part of the challenge is to have enough strength in depth to be able to rotate players to minimise the impact (or incidence) of injuries. Last season as we know about half of the above list were crocked for a large part of the season. Coupled with a number of folk (now including May it would seem) being away for internationals, this is a big challenge with the current (smallish) squad. Two or three more quality players would make all the difference IMO. But it's getting very late and the May deal might well be the last bit of business...

Seems to me we should be pouring every spare penny outside of the salary cap into medical staff and associated facilities as we will doubtless need them!
Last edited by markharbtiger on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:56 pm Chris Baumann can be seen training in the latest LTTV video with Dom Ryan so that's a done deal
Really? I wasn't so sure when I looked...
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

...and I see RagingBull lists Mapapalangi as a signing but he's not listed as part of the squad on the team web pages that I can see. Is this nailed on?