Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Mark62 »

I certainly think Kitcheners form improved at the back end of the season which coincided with O'Connor arrival and a perceived improvement in Blazes coaching.

Noddy I think you mean Mario Itoje, 3rd place in world player of the year :smt027
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 pm I understand that Gary Sherrard will be leaving the Club next Tuesday to take up a new position as White House Director of Communications commencing Wednesday 0900 EST. It is a 2 hour appointment so, following his dismissal at 1100 EST, Mr Sherrard will be back at his desk at Welford Road on Thursday.

MTGA :smt003
Are you implying there are parallels between the White House and Tigers Board?
Maybe Matt O'Connor has been reading The Art Of The Deal.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

With western forces being dropped from super rugby, we've got to be looking at if there's anyone there we can pick up. I had a quick look through their squad chance peni stands out listed as inside center but has played on the wing 23 over 6 foot former rugby league play could be the new teo.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Stephen18 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:43 pm With western forces being dropped from super rugby, we've got to be looking at if there's anyone there we can pick up. I had a quick look through their squad chance peni stands out listed as inside center but has played on the wing 23 over 6 foot former rugby league play could be the new teo.
It's not nearly that cut and dry. Western Force have been promised the financial muscle of a local billionaire who is only happy to support WA sport. The ARU are desperate to keep their best players in Australia and that promise is a big deal, added to that the Force were the second best team in Australia last season where as the Rebels were the worst. The ARU can avoid a lot of the legal costs involved with axing either the Rebels or the Force by merging the Melbourne outfit with Canberra. That currently looks the most likely outcome.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Thanks Mark62 it was Mario Itoje I was thinking of, when you get to 70 I find my memory for names a bit lacking, funnily enough the moment I logged off his name suddenly came to me. And no it's not a sign of dementia, I've always had problems remembering names, I'm fine with numbers and faces, but I trained my mind a long time ago to declutter useless information.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Just watched the 'Mike Williams' clip on LTTV - and the final part which was usually Tom Youngs telling us we could find more clips on LTTV is now performed by Boris S. May mean nothing, of course, but if it does signal a change then it's understandable.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I see Ulster are after a fly half to cover Jackson's absence - hope that is not DMAC. Could make a lot of sense for him to go there and play fly half all year rather than the 1/2 year he will get if he comes to us.
Hehehehehehehehe
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:28 pm I see Ulster are after a fly half to cover Jackson's absence - hope that is not DMAC. Could make a lot of sense for him to go there and play fly half all year rather than the 1/2 year he will get if he comes to us.
Happy to be corrected but I don't think I've seen or read that DMAC sees himself as a 10 or prefers that position. In his recent interview he only refers to it as a position he's regularly played in, and the rumour is that Hanson sees him as a 10.

All I know is that he's devastating as a second receiver with a bit more space in behind. In his last interview he said he loved playing 15 behind Cruden...I think he'd like it more behind Ford!
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:28 pm I see Ulster are after a fly half to cover Jackson's absence - hope that is not DMAC. Could make a lot of sense for him to go there and play fly half all year rather than the 1/2 year he will get if he comes to us.
Have Ulster got permission to sign a non Irish Qualified player? There's restrictions on the numbers they can have and I think it's three that don't qualify plus three project players. The non-qualifying players already include Piatau, Jean Deysel and Marcell Coetzee so there's no space left unless the IRFU allow it. DMAC can't be a project player because he has AB caps.

That's before we get into the whole could Ulster afford him? Their flyhalfs are on a leave of absence, they will be under contract unless found guilty. Can they afford DMAC as well an Irish international flyhalf?

Rumours I can find link them with a loan deal from Munster (Keatley or a youngster) or trying to tempt back on a loan deal or long term one of the Irish lads playing in England notably Madigan at Bristol.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Thanks for the info re Irish qualified and overseas players - makes a lot of sense. I am sure that I had read it somewhere that in addition to Hanson, new coach Cooper wants him to play at 10 with both Cruden going and Donald not being offered a contract, was what set my mind going in that direction.
Hehehehehehehehe
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I know read that in addition to him supposed to be playing fly half for Waikato next season, he has been named in the AB squad as a 10 for their 2 day training camp. Hanson also says that he could provide cover at 9.

This what is being reported that Hanson said:

When Aaron Smith was sent home from South Africa last year, McKenzie spent time training as halfback cover in Durban.

"Damian is a very good rugby player. At the moment there is no clear and obvious third 10 and we know Waikato are going to play him at 10 which will be great and he's a goal kicker as well and a good one and he's been in fine form at 15.

"If you look beyond today and the World Cup he could be someone we get going at 10 and then maybe give him some training time, not so much game-time, at nine so he could be your third nine. He's got a big part to play in the All Blacks over the next few years there's no doubt about that."
Hehehehehehehehe
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I really hope all these player rumours lead somewhere - and soon. Start of the season is not very far away, and I still only count 37 in our squad. Yes some of development players could step up, but this looks a little light to me given the anticipated injuries and national team absences. If any business is done down under, I'm wondering if it will be 2018 before we actually see any players? I'm also hoping that we're not simply being outbid in any negotiations for players we are trying to acquire...
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

:smt023
markharbtiger wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 am I really hope all these player rumours lead somewhere - and soon. Start of the season is not very far away, and I still only count 37 in our squad. Yes some of development players could step up, but this looks a little light to me given the anticipated injuries and national team absences. If any business is done down under, I'm wondering if it will be 2018 before we actually see any players? I'm also hoping that we're not simply being outbid in any negotiations for players we are trying to acquire...
Hehehehehehehehe
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 am :smt023
markharbtiger wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 am I really hope all these player rumours lead somewhere - and soon. Start of the season is not very far away, and I still only count 37 in our squad. Yes some of development players could step up, but this looks a little light to me given the anticipated injuries and national team absences. If any business is done down under, I'm wondering if it will be 2018 before we actually see any players? I'm also hoping that we're not simply being outbid in any negotiations for players we are trying to acquire...
Me too. :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Any signings we make now have missed pre-season so first quarter of the season needs to be met by the squad we have.
I'm not cynical just experienced