Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by BFG »

Interesting reading the difference of opinion.
Personally I think a fit Slater can be as influential as Manu.
Will Slater stay fit, well if Manu can then surely so can Slater!
Will either ever reach previous heights?
Parling did it for the Chiefs!
It's stick or twist!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

The lock i really don't rate is Kitchener. Superb lineout operator who is near the top of the stats for takes and steals but doesn't carry half as much as he used to and falls off a lot of tackles. Fitzgerald is a six all day and was the best blindside in the AP along with Rhodes and Garvey the season before last and our POTS that year. Barrow could be really good and Wells will be a top player.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:37 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:15 pm 2014 wasn't it when Slater quite rightly got an England call-up ? He was in superb form then but I struggle to think of him returning to that form since then, admittedly partly due to injuries. A Slater in that form would improve Gloucester for sure and he will bring leadership and some steel with him, but it will take more than that to turn the Cherry and Whites into a forward force. I see it as a similar move to when Jim Hamilton went to Kingsholm, in that he did improve their forward pack but not significantly enough to turn them into a winning unit.
My point entirely. Slater 3 seasons ago was near the top of the tree. Since then, through injuries his form has not reached those levels. All a matter of opinion and as I say there really is not a lot between the 4, personally I rate Fitzgerald a lot higher than some of my fellow posters
I'm a massive Fitzgerald fan. He does a lot of unseen work. Kitchener can blow hot and cold. Barrow needs to really step up to the plate this season and fulfil the undoubted potential that he has.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

BFG wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:04 pm Interesting reading the difference of opinion.
It's stick or twist!
Wow that's a hell of a statement, that Slater can be as influential as Manu ! I don't think that there's many players in the AP that have made the impact that Manu has, so if Slater can get anywhere near that he'll have done well.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:40 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:04 pm Interesting reading the difference of opinion.
It's stick or twist!
Wow that's a hell of a statement, that Slater can be as influential as Manu ! I don't think that there's many players in the AP that have made the impact that Manu has, so if Slater can get anywhere near that he'll have done well.
Yes I know and one on which I'm willing to stick my neck out!
It's all if's but's and maybe's currently but like Manu a fully fit Slater is a line breaker which is a valuable asset and even more so up front!
May is a top finisher, I'd certainly prefer both May and Slater on top of their game!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

BFG wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:46 pm I'd certainly prefer both May and Slater on top of their game!
Well sure, but we are being offered a choice between a usually fit May and a Slater who has yet to show his best form since returning from long-term injury.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

1/2 P now seems out of the equation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40773723
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Halfpenny move to us is now highly unlikely as he is set, according to the BBC, to come to Scarlett's said the ideal replacement for Liam Williams and is on a contract which is 60% funded by the WRU.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

Personally i think Slater going to Glous is a good move for player and both clubs. Coming back from injury is really hard and invariably you pick up other knocks. In the tigers environment where every game is tough and under the spotlight this is hard. Going to Glous where expectations are not as high, will hopefully give him the chance to rebuild his fitness and career. As for May I think over the last few months under EJ his game has really progressed. Tigers generally as a rule don't sign donkeys and have turned a few raw diamonds in to jewels. Hopefully this will be a good move.
cheers
Rich
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

When are we going to hear from the club either way on this? Gloucester seem pretty sure it is going to happen
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:19 pm When are we going to hear from the club either way on this? Gloucester seem pretty sure it is going to happen
The standard procedure now seems for teams to do try and market the new signings by doing a 'magic monday' or similar.

The rumour I hear is that the mckenzie deal is still on and if so it may be that the club wants to wrap up all their signings before announcing them en masse.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

...and now there are rumours from the 'Shark Tank' that Sale have offered to buy Ed Slater out of his contract
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

yeh i don't see that happening maybe they are in talks with another lock and using slater and shark tank as a way to lower the price.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I understand that Gary Sherrard will be leaving the Club next Tuesday to take up a new position as White House Director of Communications commencing Wednesday 0900 EST. It is a 2 hour appointment so, following his dismissal at 1100 EST, Mr Sherrard will be back at his desk at Welford Road on Thursday.

MTGA :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Sorry Scot11 I have to disagree with you about Kitch. On his day he is as good as any lock in the league with the notable exceptions of Kruis and his Sarries mate whose name I've forgotten and the 2 L's i.e. Lawes and Launchbury,He works well with Slates who has a different set of skills and they complement each other.