Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by G.K »

Coops wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:14 am I really don't want to hear the words "transitional season" from the club again this season - we're a professional club and need to play to our strengths and really compete. If we don't then hotel or no hotel, the club is going to start going backwards quickly.
Well it started going backwards slowly several years back.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:25 pm Malouf confirmed on Tigers website.
Reportedly a one year contract...https://www.ruck.co.uk/australia-intern ... er-tigers/
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Malouf, cover for Manu for another year?
I'm not cynical just experienced
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all- ... hore-clubs

Seta Tamanivalu could be an obvious option and would be the marque signing the fans want and can also play on the wing
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Added Lions back rower Cyle Brink to the rumours IN list. (Source The Rugby Paper)

TRP saying that MOC will move for Brink if McCaffrey departs.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Odd that we'd be looking at another back row when we already have
Williams, Ryan, Croft, O'Connor, Evans, Hamilton, Kalamafoni and Mapapalangi.
Eight players for 3 starting spots, that's not including Macafferey.
I think we still need to be looking at the back 3 a bit since we've just got rid of two high profile internationals.

Also, any clarification on a rumoured prop addition to cover Cilliers and Cole early season? Saw comments we'd added Kyle Traynor? but he's a Loose Head. Also saw comments we were looking at an American prop, but they may have been guesswork, couldn't tell.

I think we only need added back 3 cover now, 1-2 players there, plus a prop. I'm happy with the back row balance, and think then addition of two centres gives us a bit more depth in what has been a weak area due to injuries.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:39 am Odd that we'd be looking at another back row when we already have
Williams, Ryan, Croft, O'Connor, Evans, Hamilton, Kalamafoni and Mapapalangi.
Eight players for 3 starting spots, that's not including Macafferey.
I think we still need to be looking at the back 3 a bit since we've just got rid of two high profile internationals.

Also, any clarification on a rumoured prop addition to cover Cilliers and Cole early season? Saw comments we'd added Kyle Traynor? but he's a Loose Head. Also saw comments we were looking at an American prop, but they may have been guesswork, couldn't tell.

I think we only need added back 3 cover now, 1-2 players there, plus a prop. I'm happy with the back row balance, and think then addition of two centres gives us a bit more depth in what has been a weak area due to injuries.
8 players, but has to be question marks over Croft long term ability and Mapapalangi will be more of a project signing he looked good for Tonga but he will need to be fitter to become the 8 we are wanting.

I mean it would be no different in terms of back row numbers than it is now.

Traynor was down on the development squad start of the week since then his name has gone off so not sure what that is about.
Talk was he has signed on a 3 month deal.
Maybe we could see both of them coming Traynor on a 3 month deal to allow Mulipola to move to TH early season and Baumann (Who i think might be the prop) on a 1 year deal to see how it goes @ 30 he still has a few season (Also doesn't have the game time baggage alot of props his age has) in him but old enough that the younger props coming up shouldn't feel discouraged he can also play hooker apparently.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

8 back row doesn't include Macafferey or Brink, but does include Croft.

So, based on the recent rumours, and the comments that there are 2-3 remaining signings being looked at from Southern Hemisphere.

Baumann in, assuming that's is the prop linked.
Brink maybe in, Macafferey and/or Croft maybe out.
Marty Mackenzie possibly in.
Maybe one last winger in ideally, an explosive Tuilagi/Goneva style player, maybe shopping in the Pacific Islander super rugby fringe player market, Veianu/Mafi type signing.

Don't think any of the remaining signings will be big name players, more likely fringe players that suit our squad balance requirements.

If that's viable, that's a pretty big overhaul, but arguably O'Connor has put his stamp on the squad, and shows much better balance.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Let us not forget we already have the most explosive rugby player ( TV ) on Planet earth already in our ranks .
And we have Manu IF he ever gets fit
So a nasty big Pacific Islander on the wing + GF and BY and our forwards, well that should be good enough to win the Premiership....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

What people forget is tha Manu was incredibly unlucky last season. He was back and fit and as lean as many observers had seen him

It was nothing to do with his groin rather a freak accident when tackled by 3 men, which just showed how dangerous he is perceived to be by oppositions
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Link on main Tigers website:

https://www.leicestertigers.com/player/ ... -at-tigers

It's showing server error but confirms that Lachlan has left the club

Such a shame IMO
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Hmm.

Look. I get it it. I get that we kind of need more big hitters in the back row and I get that to do that some funds needed freeing up. I get it.

But he has been REALLY good for us.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Iain wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:10 pm
But he has been REALLY good for us.
My kids will be gutted, he was their favourite player. One of them was made up when he "hi-fived" him in the tunnel.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I will obviously reserve judgement until I have seen the players in action and I understand O'Connor wants to bring his own players in but apart from Ford coming in for Burns, the players coming in aren't any better than the ones that left.

So far MOC is not convincing me that he was the right appointment. However, I seriously hope I am proved wrong!