Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Mark62 »

L Smith wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:34 am Haven't seen much of DMAC but I remember him looking a bit panicky against the Lions.
TBF, I wouldn't judge anyone on such paltry evidence and the popular view is that he's a very good player so, if nothing else, it's nice that he's being linked with Tigers: not Bath, Wasps or SArries.
If he is genuinely on the AB fringes, it's difficult to think that he would give up the ghost so it's probably just agents talk at the minute.
Played 10 against the Lions didn't he. I think he is far more a 15 in the Vieanu mould with a superior kicking game.
Definitely won't play 10 for the All Blacks, at least 3 before him without Cruden and 15 I'd say he's behind Smith, Dagg and now Jordie Barrett and if memory serves me the back 3 for their under 20s were all more than useful.
Maybe Marty coming too is a bit like the Ford brothers coming as a package
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:57 am If we get Damian Mackenzie I'll streak at WR!
Can you please give us advance warning as I may decide to sacrifice that game. I have no desire to see more than one odd-shaped ball on the pitch. :smt040
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I'll put my neck out and say that if we get DMac it has the potential to be one of the best imports since Nick Evans. I.e. If he was any other nationality, he'd get 50+ caps.

I watch a fair bit of super rugby and he is absolutely electric, particularly at full back, and works very well as a playmaking option.

His AB chances will be limited under Hansen so I suspect he sees a chance to develop and earn a bit of cash over here, if Fissler is right.

Fingers crossed.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:40 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:26 am Agree on Botha. Well worth the risk of a one year deal. If we can sign him below market rate with the promise of an extension and parse if he manages x number of games, even better.

Not sure we need both McKenzie brothers, as you day Damian will not come cheap and NZ/Chiefs will be very keen on keeping him what with Cruden leaving.
Are NZ that keen on keeping him really? I don't think Hansen has him in his plans if i'm being honest.

Maybe 2/3 seasons in the NH earn a good pay check and show that he can cut it with the physical side of things in the NH, then returns to NZ with a new coach in charge. (I would imagine Hansen will leave after the 2019 RWC).
He's only 22 and he's already got a couple of caps for the All Blacks. He's a fire cracker of a player and he kicks very well at goal. The only downside is he is diminutive and is probably more suited at 15 than 10, that might change as he gets more experienced. Given the current tactic of teams to kick to compete the much bigger and stronger Jordie Barrett has an advantage. Dagg and Smith offer experience at the back as well.

If he stays at the Chiefs and takes his chances at 10 then he could get back in with the ABs. He still needs to develop a bit but regular game time at 10 could sort that. Beauden didn't took untouchable on the Lions tour and Lima has never really put down a marker and is already 26. Having said that Mo'unga and Otere Black are quality young players given starting 10 shirts for next season.

Be a great signing at 15 for us. Closest to a like for like replacement we'd have managed to Geordan. Good cover for George at 10 and cam kick points from range.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Seems James Concar has confirmed Arno Botha on Facebook with a video that certainly makes him look impressive 😁
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Another sicknote, brilliant!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

He can carry a bit and seems to have a decent eye for a turnover but in the highlights reel I didn't see even a single attempt at an offload.
Let's wait and see
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

L Smith wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:45 pm He can carry a bit and seems to have a decent eye for a turnover but in the highlights reel I didn't see even a single attempt at an offload.
Let's wait and see
That is true but lots of meters made and a decent set of wheels. Time will tell.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Botha's injury record does look a bit worrying, and Ulster pulling out because of medical a couple of months ago doesn't help allay those fears. I suppose we just have to trust that the club have reason to believe the risk isn't so great, or at least got him on a good deal. A bit of South African edge in our pack will not be a bad thing!

Damian Mckenzie was yesterday described by the NZ Herald as "the best player in the world to watch". Looking at his highlight reels, he looks electric. If he signs, our backline (fully fit) would look seriously exciting.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Quote from the source

the Ulster Deal fell through, now appear we are getting a bargain, I assume this is subject to passing a medical but not sure if thats been done yet.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 pm Botha's injury record does look a bit worrying, and Ulster pulling out because of medical a couple of months ago doesn't help allay those fears. I suppose we just have to trust that the club have reason to believe the risk isn't so great, or at least got him on a good deal. A bit of South African edge in our pack will not be a bad thing!

Damian Mckenzie was yesterday described by the NZ Herald as "the best player in the world to watch". Looking at his highlight reels, he looks electric. If he signs, our backline (fully fit) would look seriously exciting.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8wZVW17Hew

If this is anything to go on, maybe that statement from the Herald wasn't so far fetched.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Isn't Damian Mckenzie only going to be released after the the 2017-18 super rugby season ends?
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Qbec wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 am Isn't Damian Mckenzie only going to be released after the the 2017-18 super rugby season ends?
Remains to be seen - but signing him is massive either way. A real coup for us.

I'm led to believe it's a done deal but don't quote me.

Also another unnamed winger on their way too. An international no less.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Iain wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am
Qbec wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 am Isn't Damian Mckenzie only going to be released after the the 2017-18 super rugby season ends?
Remains to be seen - but signing him is massive either way. A real coup for us.

I'm led to believe it's a done deal but don't quote me.

Also another unnamed winger on their way too. An international no less.
Could see it being Chiefs way of upping the release fee? Who knows.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

It could be. The suggestion that he would only be available for next season seems to be coming from assumption by the New Zealand press, since he was reported to have signed a two year deal in 2016. There's nothing to say we're not paying a fee or that his release has been negotiated.