Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by RagingBull »

He's in the development squad so doubt he will be taking up much budget and he isn't in the cap.

Not many other 8's coming up. (Grhamslaw been moved to LH)
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:35 pm
Loob19 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:04 pm Is it me or is the silence from Jonny May, on his move to the Tigers, deafening?
I'd rather he did his talking on the pitch as opposed to social media.

Right now his focus should be the Tigers game plan and making sure he is getting up to speed with the calls. Pre season fitness should be a given at this stage.
I guess he was getting his pre-season fitness by other means??
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:25 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:24 am Bit shocked by Scot11's comments re Fred Tuilagi. He is a twenty year old kid, a fairly recent convert from prop to back row, he may or may not make the grade but he is working hard and as a young Tiger's player deserves every encouragement not the garbage comment. Normally whether I agree or not with Scott11's posts they are reasoned but this one I think was over the top.
Sorry Johnthegriff but I agree with Scott. I personally have nothing against young Tuilagi, but he is taking up a squad place and no doubt budget that should be for more talented individuals. 4 years ago he was a very average player who could barely last half a game and certainly wasn't in any county or academy plans. Then all of sudden contracts start needing to be renegotiated for his uncle plus other south sea islanders his family represented. All of sudden he was in in the academy and all the resources that brings. The issue is he is simply not good enough and if he had a different surname he would not be in the position he is in
Oh yh definitely can't improve fitness in 4 years time, his. uncle Henry needs to give him some back row lessons.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerCam wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:35 pm
Loob19 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:04 pm Is it me or is the silence from Jonny May, on his move to the Tigers, deafening?
I'd rather he did his talking on the pitch as opposed to social media.

Right now his focus should be the Tigers game plan and making sure he is getting up to speed with the calls. Pre season fitness should be a given at this stage.
I guess he was getting his pre-season fitness by other means??
He appears to be in very good shape in the picture on the Tigers Facebook page. Whatever cardiovascular regime he was undertaking seems to have worked.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We are constantly reminded by many on here that we are not 'in the know' about potential. Fred Tuilagi may not make the grade, but as I pointed out before, 'garbage' is not a term to be used for any human IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Can't help feeling that we will not be getting DMAC due to Jordie Barrett's withdrawal from the AB squad for the Bledisloe cup series. He is bound to get game time with the AB unless they decide to play Dagg at FB. What a pity,
BTW, I too don't like the word "garbage" in relation to anyone but do agree that young Tuilagi will not make the grade from what I have seen. Seems more intent in giving a big hit than playing a thinking game.
Hehehehehehehehe
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:47 am Can't help feeling that we will not be getting DMAC due to Jordie Barrett's withdrawal from the AB squad for the Bledisloe cup series. He is bound to get game time with the AB unless they decide to play Dagg at FB. What a pity,
BTW, I too don't like the word "garbage" in relation to anyone but do agree that young Tuilagi will not make the grade from what I have seen. Seems more intent in giving a big hit than playing a thinking game.
Agree Trendy. Unless DMAC has already signed a deal taking him to us after the Championship (unlikely) I suspect Jordie Barrett's injury has bizarrely sealed the deal. He should get good minutes off the bench and then the selectors will see what they've been missing. Good luck to him, he's a class player and would have been awesome for us...but maybe I'm getting greedy with that backline.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Spot on Iceman and the NZ Herald agree with us both - he will get game time but only from the bench as they think that David Havali will get the FB role to begin with. Will coming on from the bench be enough for him to make his mark?? That is the big question. Like you, I can't see that he signed a contract to join us after the Bledisloe which is a great pity but then I also believe in Santa (I know he exists cos I was him one year).
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/ar ... d=11901809
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Will he get game time? Possibly not! Back 3 will probably be NMS,Dagg,Naholo/Ioane and Hansen likes his number 23 to be a centre. Unless Hansen drops Sopaga but I can't see that.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Agreed Griff, Scott 11 is out of order OK he's only 20 but he's a Tuilagi name me the last Tuilagi not to make the grade, You can't can you? If he's only half as good as his namesake who I believe was the first Tuilagi to play for the Tigers then that'll do me.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Noddy555 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:36 pm Agreed Griff, Scott 11 is out of order OK he's only 20 but he's a Tuilagi name me the last Tuilagi not to make the grade, You can't can you? If he's only half as good as his namesake who I believe was the first Tuilagi to play for the Tigers then that'll do me.
I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Noddy555 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:36 pm Agreed Griff, Scott 11 is out of order OK he's only 20 but he's a Tuilagi name me the last Tuilagi not to make the grade, You can't can you? If he's only half as good as his namesake who I believe was the first Tuilagi to play for the Tigers then that'll do me.
Brian tuilagi?
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Noddy555 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:36 pm Agreed Griff, Scott 11 is out of order OK he's only 20 but for G he's a Tuilagi name me the last Tuilagi not to make the grade, You can't can you? If he's only half as good as his namesake who I believe was the first Tuilagi to play for the Tigers then that'll do me.
Olotuli Tuilagi No.3 of 7 boys!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... Julie.html
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

iceman_19 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:01 am
trendylfj wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:47 am Can't help feeling that we will not be getting DMAC due to Jordie Barrett's withdrawal from the AB squad for the Bledisloe cup series. He is bound to get game time with the AB unless they decide to play Dagg at FB. What a pity,
Agree Trendy. Unless DMAC has already signed a deal taking him to us after the Championship (unlikely) I suspect Jordie Barrett's injury has bizarrely sealed the deal. He should get good minutes off the bench and then the selectors will see what they've been missing. Good luck to him, he's a class player and would have been awesome for us...but maybe I'm getting greedy with that backline.
Damian McKenzie has refused to comment on his future other than that he has a contract for the next Super 15 season. If he's coming it'll be for next season in a similar way to Bristol signing Charlie Piatau for the 2018/19 (announced today).
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

Whilst fairly empty any major gossip or any really interesting Tigers stories, there is a snippet in the transfer round up section that Aniseko Sio, Samoan prop formerly of our parish, has signed a one year deal at Nottingham. I didn't realise that we had released him but pleased that he has a contract somewhere.

I REALLY hope that we can start to regularly see sub appearances from our young props this season, we need to start testing and developing to see if they are good enough. We have not pushed young props as others have, preferring seasoned pro instead, we need to find a balance between the two if possible, ultimately I trust the coaches to do the right thing.