Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by sapajo »

Grimlish wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:41 am Who said we don't attract the top-flight players any more?
The problem is that attraction seldomly results in putting pen to paper and hence all this over hyping over new signings . I have learned over the years not to over expect when it comes to new signings.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Why would 1/2p have that effect Scuttle? He won't be on the big money he was said to be in at Toulon and no-one's saying he's a ****. Other players have joined squads after the start of pre-season.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

I also heard rumour about us maybe signing Ross Moriarty and it wouldn't be a bad deal if we managed to let go of the dead wood in our back row like croft. Also this would solve the problem with a real first team 8 which we haven't had in a while but this deal will be very expensive.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Halfpenny would IMO be a great signing. Strong defensively, great kicker, good temperament and better with ball in hand than he's often given credit for.

Very much hope he comes, will also take the pressure off GF to concentrate on his attacking game.
Soggypitch
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

15 is the best place on the pitch to attack from in todays game imo...To have Halfpenny there means much like when Tait is there we do not break the line or beat many men to get on the front foot...compared to when TV is there and we marvel at what he does
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

I'm completely underwhelmed at the prospect of Halfpenny. Apart from his kicking what does he bring? In fact, what has he EVER brought apart from his kicking? Defences need only cover a kick back to them or simply block off his channel on the rare occasions he runs. With TV, they may not expect a kick but they are always on the back foot with his unpredictable running lines. I'm not expecting to see DM now but I can't believe that such a potent attacking weapon as TV is going out to the wing to make room for such a predictable journeyman.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Regardless of whether we sign LH or not TV won't be playing fullback as MOC sees him as a winger. Initially it seemed like MOC wasn't interested in halfpenny as he was looking to add someone with pace hence the interest in DMAC. Seemingly he has turned us down and there doesn't seem to be many other options this close to the start of the season. Given this and the fact that he will be coming cheap I personally wouldn't mind halfpenny. The only other option linked is the older Mckenzie who could do a good job to IMO.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

AidanMcDowell wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:29 pm I'm completely underwhelmed at the prospect of Halfpenny. Apart from his kicking what does he bring? In fact, what has he EVER brought apart from his kicking? Defences need only cover a kick back to them or simply block off his channel on the rare occasions he runs. With TV, they may not expect a kick but they are always on the back foot with his unpredictable running lines. I'm not expecting to see DM now but I can't believe that such a potent attacking weapon as TV is going out to the wing to make room for such a predictable journeyman.
That's a bit harsh, Halfpenny might not have set the world on fire since joining Toulon but he was awesome on the 2013 Lions tour, agreed he is no TV or DM in attack but he's not as bad as everybody is making out
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

It wasn't that long ago most people on this forum were moaning about George Ford not being a good enough goal kicker and how we needed a top class goal kicker in the side now those same people are saying we shouldn't sign LH despite him being arguably the best goal kicker in the world. At least be consistent one way or the other.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

TheRock wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:06 pm It wasn't that long ago most people on this forum were moaning about George Ford not being a good enough goal kicker and how we needed a top class goal kicker in the side now those same people are saying we shouldn't sign LH despite him being arguably the best goal kicker in the world. At least be consistent one way or the other.
theres nowt as queer as folk? Well it gives the whingers something to bleat about until the Tigers have played their first game and the call is for MOC to be sacked immediately due to poor performance. :smt030
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Big no to LHP,a great kicker who tackles with his head and offers little going forward! Waste of big money!
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:08 pm Big no to LHP,a great kicker who tackles with his head and offers little going forward! Waste of big money!
IF we were to sign him it would be on the cheap no big money involved.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

If we were to sign him I don't think he would come that cheap - reputed to be on over £700k at Toulon and even if he took a big pay cut would still imagine he would be on £500k+. Now if we got him at £200K I might be interested but above £300K no thanks - would rather spend £500K on DMAC.
Hehehehehehehehe
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Has Mapapalangi signed on a permanent basis? Last I read he was on trial at end of last season.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I think Halfpenny would be a good short-term signing until we get someone else in, if only for a season. Very harsh comments about him just being a kicker though. Solid in defence, excellent under the high ball, experienced at the top level, a good communicator and deceptive in attack I would say. He gives you territory as well and we'll be playing in the right areas of the field rather than giving the ball to the opposition like last season. Ok, he's not as quick as TV nor does he have a step like him...but then who does..!? If we can get Ford, Toomua and Manu firing, there will be space and gaps for Halfpenny to exploit. Some people are never happy, if we signed Beauden Barrett somebody would complain !