Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Tiglon »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:34 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:57 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:46 pm

To be fair it all started with Fisslers report, if he hadn't said anything I doubt we would have seen it reported on at all
And where did Fissler get it from? I doubt anyone at Leicester would leak it, given there would be plenty of other teams with more money who might be interested if they knew he was open to moving to Europe. Chiefs or NZRU wouldn't benefit from the leak either for the same reasons - they don't want more European money sniffing around one of their star prospects.

That leaves... McKenzie and his agent. They are the only ones who benefit from it getting into the press at this stage (unless a deal is already done, which sounds unlikely). And that benefit is a better deal (in terms of minutes on the pitch) from the All Blacks, or getting more money from another European club.

I sincerely hope to be proven completely wrong!
It seems that McKenzie's agent leaked this info to Fissler (Although that isn't certain, from my understanding a lot of agents leak each others deals), but that's the point it was only leaked to one guy in the NH press, if Mckenzie was purely trying to kick up a storm within the NZ rugby world to get a better deal surely they would have leaked to NZ press?

I still think McKenzie won't be coming but I'm not convinced this was purely a money making exercise for him
If you're right, then it would be for the other reason I mentioned - trying to get another European club to offer more money. Also remember we are in a globalised world now - as you can see from the NZ press now commenting on this story, word does get around. If he did want to send a message to the AB's, then I'd say he was pretty successful.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

It was always unlikely that Damian would come. However if he doesn't I hope that doesn't lessen our chances of signing brother Marty who I believe would be an excellent signing
MrG
Tiger Cub

Post by MrG »

Fissler just tweeted this

Hearing potentially Leigh Halfpenny to Leicester Tigers. Bath aren't interested. Don't know anymore details.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I say again Yes Please!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

MrG wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:15 pm Fissler just tweeted this

Hearing potentially Leigh Halfpenny to Leicester Tigers. Bath aren't interested. Don't know anymore details.
If the DMAC deal is dead and we aren't going to be paying him a small fortune (reported to be on £600,000 a year at Toulon) I wouldn't be against it, Would make up for Ford's occasionally shaky kicking and is a granite rock at the back
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Worth it if a short term or pay to play deal.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

1/2p would be quality, but would that push Veainu to the wing ? Like him at full back with space....devastating.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Wouldn't do our defence any harm; would add a valuable kicking option. If the price is right - and the situation suggests it might be - it's hard to turn down a Lion. Yes...on reflection, I must try a bit harder to be a bit more excited!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Someone with Halfpenny's experience would be a great addition but he is on a downwards trajectory as opposed to DMAC who is going in the other direction. Halfpenny is also likely to feature for Wales for a good few years (unless Gatland's Law is enforced) so I still see this as a back up plan.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

L Smith wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 pm Someone with Halfpenny's experience would be a great addition but he is on a downwards trajectory as opposed to DMAC who is going in the other direction. Halfpenny is also likely to feature for Wales for a good few years (unless Gatland's Law is enforced) so I still see this as a back up plan.
I imagine he would be our second choice. We are probably not his first choice either. I can easily imagine his agent originally rebuffing our interest with the expectation of a big spender or a hefty Welsh central contract. As neither of those things has come to pass Halfpenny and his agent might be downgrading their expectations to more realistic levels. If there's no deal in Wales then Halfpenny needs to be playing a decent level of rugby in order to be included in Gatlands Law. We'd offer HEC and a combative AP team for him to strut his stuff.

Will probably come down to how much of a pay cut he's willing to take and what young Mr Mckenzie decides to do.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Give me DMAC any day of the week - would not lose him during international breaks, he is very good off the tee, a better attacking prospect.good under the high ball and a very good defender!!!! Yes we might lose him in 2 years time when the AB world cup squad is being assembled but what a 2 years that would be.
Hehehehehehehehe
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

This Halfpenny rumour isn't great and probably means DMAC potential singing is dead in the water...

Halfpenny bar a great kicker offers little in attack for me and would really be the board trying to get a name to appease us rather than a great asset to our squad imo

Yes he would kick more goals than George but would be a backwards step in terms of attack imo
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Halfpenny may not offer that much in attack but when the rest of the backline will be Youngs, Ford, Toomua, Tuilagi, Thompstone and Veainu then it doesn't need Halfpenny to be too attack minded anyway.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

It's easy to bemoan the current situation as agents (and prospective players) playing their options off against each other to get the best deal. For some reason we seem often to be used in that capacity by agents.

I'm enjoying that at least this time there is also the prospect the club may be able to play that game in reverse with two (or is it three?) potential incomers vying for the same or similar roles.

Who said we don't attract the top-flight players any more?
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I think Halfpenny is a talented player but how much additionality on top of the current players he would bring is the question, and whether it is worth what would be a significant pay cheque. I would be disappointed if we signed him just because he is available now that others do not want him; we need to blend the squad in a properly thought through manner rather than snatch opportunity. I would also worry that bringing him in (in this manner) could hinder team dynamics and team spirit which is so important to success. I do believe it was team spirit/dynamics that got us so close to the final last season after a fairly turbulent few months, and I would not want to disturb the momentum that I felt was building.
As Good As It Gets