Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by westwinds31 »

Iain wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm WOW, from those clips DMAC looks brilliant, superb running and offloading. I have been told we are signing 2 SH players and if these clips show his full potential then Wow. We have seen clips before, generally they don't show any failings so I hope this guy really is this good!
Regarding his offloading though, will our weather be as kind as those pics where every player around him seemed to take some great passes, always ready to receive the pass, will our players be as competent, really hope so! :smt038
Newsflash!!

It rains in New Zealand. He'll cope :smt023

Man alive, this signing had better come off. There's a danger of me being excited.
I'm with you Iain....this has to come off. Normally we're linked with someone based on one tweet or someone heard something from someone else, but this seems to have legs, given it's been widely-ish mentioned on social media (by relatively reliable sources) and also by some on here who have heard (god knows how) that we are signing 2 players. Quite why we'd announce MacKenzie (I refuse to call him DMAC) as a signing for the season after this one is beyond me as it's not normally done that way, for Tigers or any other club, unless I've missed signings ? We could sign him and then he has a change of heart, gets picked for NZ ...lots can happen. Surely it's for the season ahead + however many years we've signed him for. Very, very excited about this....this could be the best backline we've ever had if it clicks.
BustersGonads

Post by BustersGonads »

This is the only thing i've seen online

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/smcmah ... ship-club/
I'll have a pint of Tiger and a packet of scratchings please!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I have decided this is either a done deal and we are just waiting on an announcement...or Dmac sending a message to Hansen and we are his bargaining chip

But for this news to come out without us having a signature will mean all of Europe will be on him

I have crossed everything possible :smt023
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

The incoming Chiefs head coach has said that "It simply won't happen" in regards to DMAC coming to Tigers, really hope all this hype wasn't for nothing :smt009
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:34 am The incoming Chiefs head coach has said that "It simply won't happen" in regards to DMAC coming to Tigers, really hope all this hype wasn't for nothing :smt009
From the comments at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11892221 it seems v unlikely he's coming to 'Lecister'.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

This is the NZ Herald story.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11892221

There are no quotes, and the assumption that he can't be off seems to only be because he's contracted until 2018, which ignores the possibility of him being released from it or signing the summer after next, and because someone said they want him playing ten. And that's it. No actual word from the coach.

By the way, it isn't beyond the realms of possibility we'll sign him for the summer after next since that's exactly what we did with Toomua.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

That article just seems to be an opinion piece disguised as a ,"factual" one
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:15 am That article just seems to be an opinion piece disguised as a ,"factual" one
As, indeed, are many articles but it does rather depend how accurate the quotes are. If they properly represent the views of the parties concerned, I do get the uncomfortable feeling we're the 'patsy' in this scenario.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

But there ARE no quotes with regards to any possible move. That's the point.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:15 am That article just seems to be an opinion piece disguised as a ,"factual" one
Or an agent seeking to get an improved contract extension.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

On reflection I remain pessimistic in regard to any signings of this calibre for the coming season. Love to see otherwise but until they turn out in a tigers shirt I am not getting excited.
I'm not cynical just experienced
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

There are enough sources (with reliable backgrounds) to confirm that we are certainly in talks with him - but whether or not is a 'done deal' very much remains to be seen.

I would be extremely surprised, however, if any talks are not for an imminent arrival for the coming season, as opposed for the season after. Even Toomua was only courted/confirmed after the RWC, and his situation was quite different - he was a Wallaby regular, with plenty of caps under his belt.

However, McKenzie is young and on the fringes of selection. Despite two outstanding seasons in Super Rugby - predominantly at full back, he is behind Dagg, Smith, the Barrett brothers and Sopoanga (and Cruden, although he is off to France for a couple of years) in the pecking order. His call might be that he won't get a look in under Hansen and he might as well make some good money and return after the end of the next rugby world cup, when there is likely to be a new Head Coach.

Delaying a move for 12 months would not make sense, since there are so many variables that could happen in that time. People above him in the AB pecking order could get injured, he could get his chance and then be prevented from taking it because of a contract he signed over a year before.

NZRU contracts are so heavily weighted in favour of the 'black jersey's'. McKenzie will not be in a huge deal - especially when compared to All Black regulars or some of the contracts we have over here - so there is every chance Tigers will be looking to buy him out.

Whether or not it happens, I don't know. But it would be one of the most exciting signings we've ever made if it goes through.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I Whatsapp'd my family in NZ, she is a hurricanes fan but said he is well behind the Barrett boys and Dagg in the pecking order. She said that it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he came over for a couple of seasons and wait his time. New experiences and all that. Fingers crossed but until he is signed sealed and in a Tigers top, I won't be holding my breath.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

I thought the NZ Herald article was more like someone telling the NZ rugby authorities NOT to let him come to England, rather than anything else,
There is more logic in Iceman's comments about the number of people in front of him for the ABs being a sound reason for a move than anything else I have read.
Well, if he comes, hope he turns out to be as good as you all think !
Cheers
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Iain wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:44 am
By the way, it isn't beyond the realms of possibility we'll sign him for the summer after next since that's exactly what we did with Toomua.
Really? I know it was a known before the end of their season down under but I didn't think it was over a season in advance. Do you have the evidence to show my memory has failed me?
Last edited by Grimlish on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.