Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by TTRITH »

Iain wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 am
TTRITH wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:27 am Whether we like it or not we have to accept the club is a business and is now being run as such. The money we will be saving on wages is likely to be set against the building of the hotel and car park as required.
Not so. It has been clarified several times that the playing budget is completely separate to the budgets allocated to these projects.
I know what's been said, but until we see the players coming in there's seemingly a large chunk of wage budget just sitting there.

I wouldn't mind if thats the case. The hotel and car park will make the club sustainable in the long term, but I'd prefer a level of honesty from the board over a consistent "no money will be taken from the playing budget" when, aside for perhaps George Ford, the playing staff looks weaker for the coming season.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I believe that there will be 2 more signings and that they will be announced this week. No source or rumour just MHO based on who I believe we are short of.
Hehehehehehehehe
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 am So now that all competitions are over do we believe that all the new signings for the coming season have been announced or do we think there are more on the way?
I'd be stunned if there are no more signings. I'd go as far as to say I'll go to the first home league game in a tutu if there's nothing announced before then.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 am
Iain wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 am
TTRITH wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:27 am Whether we like it or not we have to accept the club is a business and is now being run as such. The money we will be saving on wages is likely to be set against the building of the hotel and car park as required.
Not so. It has been clarified several times that the playing budget is completely separate to the budgets allocated to these projects.
I know what's been said, but until we see the players coming in there's seemingly a large chunk of wage budget just sitting there.

I wouldn't mind if thats the case. The hotel and car park will make the club sustainable in the long term, but I'd prefer a level of honesty from the board over a consistent "no money will be taken from the playing budget" when, aside for perhaps George Ford, the playing staff looks weaker for the coming season.
It looks weaker now. It won't by the start of the season. I'm confident of that.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Iain wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 am
Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 am So now that all competitions are over do we believe that all the new signings for the coming season have been announced or do we think there are more on the way?
I'd be stunned if there are no more signings. I'd go as far as to say I'll go to the first home league game in a tutu if there's nothing announced before then.
Lets hope you have good legs :smt041
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BustersGonads

Post by BustersGonads »

We should all go in tutu's........then give each other that knowing nod when we see each other in the ground LOL!
I'll have a pint of Tiger and a packet of scratchings please!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 am
Iain wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 am
Lets hope you have good legs :smt041
Well I'm a modest man. That's for others to judge.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Super Rugby doesn't finish until 5th August.....
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but it might be that we have had to reign our budget back now some players are coming back from injury. We've had a lot of long term injuries and we would get dispensation within the cap - maybe we already spent it. If these players coming back would push us back over the limit then shedding a few fringe players would seem the obvious solution.
Last edited by Will S on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Not sure if Wills is being prophetic but I really hope that players are coming back FROM injury and not " for injury ".
If the cap is spent up and a player is unavailable for a long time we are allowed to exceed the salary cap by signing a replacement for a minimum of three months, the sum allowed I believe is £400,000 to cover all such signings.
I am pretty sure the releasing of certain players is simply to clear the decks for new men that fit more into MOC's vision of how we should play however the money saving my not be as immediate or as great as we presume.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:55 am I believe that there will be 2 more signings and that they will be announced this week. No source or rumour just MHO based on who I believe we are short of.
What positions do you think we're short of? An additional prop plus maybe another centre?
Last edited by markharbtiger on Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Grimlish wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:55 am Super Rugby doesn't finish until 5th August.....
This is last weekend of action for those not involved in the playoffs etc so signings will be announced after said club is out imo

I have a feeling we are going to be happy come the start of the season...MOC knows this is a big year for him and will have done all he can to get who he needs :smt023
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Let's say we have an interest still in MacKenzie (D) and someone from the Lions - they are both qualified for the play-offs, so their competitive season remains live until at least until w/e of 21st, likely to the semi-finals, or indeed the final on 5th.

Much water for the bridge and some serious speculation in all that but I dont think we should be expecting announcements just yet if its that calibre of signing.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Is it true we've got the S and C coach back who presided over the worst run of injuries in AP history?! Great!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:59 pm
trendylfj wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:55 am I believe that there will be 2 more signings and that they will be announced this week. No source or rumour just MHO based on who I believe we are short of.
What positions do you think we're short of? An additional prop plus maybe another centre?
exactly
Hehehehehehehehe