Are the Lions together as a squad?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Are the Lions together as a squad?

Post by Chobbsy »

I thought that this Lions squad were tight, but I listened to the commentary of the 1st test on Talk Sport on Saturday only to hear James Haskell commentating, it maybe be may as if often is but I found it very strange that he wasn't with the rest of the squad watching and supporting the test side.
I am neither a Haskell supporter nor anti-Haskell but I would have thought the Lions management would have wanted the squad together as 1 and that squad players would want to be there to support their mates?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Are the Lions together as a squad?

Post by Iain »

That's a hell of a jump in logic there.

There's no problem.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Thanks for your confirmation, as you have inside info, what has he decided about the team for Saturday?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Sort of see your point, but in many ways points to the opposite with Lions management and players happy for someone to be publically heard rather than the normal whispers
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

If they are not then maybe it is a tad late to do anything about it? As long as they focus on playing for the shirt it inter-squad feelings should not matter?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

After giving it some though, I don't see it as a problem. Whether he's watching from the stands with the other non playing Lions, or watching from the stands with some radio commentators... he's still there. I'm sure it must have been completely approved by the coaching and management team.

Watching England v South Africa cricket last week, the England captain spent part of the game in the Sky commentary box, as he wasn't playing. You often see injured rugby players doing a bit of punditry when their team is playing. I don't think it's an unusual situation.

It's not like he's down the road propping up a bar and throwing dwarves around...
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I listened to another game on Talk sport and they had one of the Irish players talking. I also listened to Irish radio commentary and they had no players on. I think this is a contractual agreement for a non-playing player to be nominated to be part of the commentary team. Similar to non-playing Tiger doing the corporate round on match day.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:42 am I thought that this Lions squad were tight, but I listened to the commentary of the 1st test on Talk Sport on Saturday only to hear James Haskell commentating, it maybe be may as if often is but I found it very strange that he wasn't with the rest of the squad watching and supporting the test side.
I am neither a Haskell supporter nor anti-Haskell but I would have thought the Lions management would have wanted the squad together as 1 and that squad players would want to be there to support their mates?
Can't see the issue, and it was obviously planned. He warmed up with the team, got changed, arrived at the commentary station just before kick off and left almost immediately after the final whistle to rejoin the squad.

For once it was a good piece of PR from the Lions' management.
BustersGonads

Post by BustersGonads »

As JH was an injury call-up........was he already contracted to TalkSport?
I'll have a pint of Tiger and a packet of scratchings please!