The Return Of Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Return Of Ford

Post by JackFlashJonny »

It would negate his pace which on the outside break is one of his key weapons...granted he is very talented but I doubt we will ever see him play 12 it would be a waste of his speed
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

George Ford is now back in Leicester he has tweeted that he and his brother were training at a city gym today.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mj2012

Post by mj2012 »

Great to see the return of Ford! Was worried about his recent form for club and country, but the performances in Argentina are hopefully a taste of what is to come this season. Some mates in Bath are really disappointed about losing him which speaks volumes. Still, hope Freddie does well down there.
He he shamone, but with a better touch :smt023
TheRock

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by TheRock »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:23 pm What the Arg team with no rush defence or alignment lol behave! Ford has hardly been excelling for England either,he had a fantastic season under his Dad when Bath made the final but has been nowhere near that level since. Burns was world class at times last season and we are definitely getting the worse end of the deal! Significant upgrade lol

Burns world class :smt005

Depends which ford we get , if we get ford at his best no contest but club form last year burns was better
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Burns doesn't do world class things at times then? Show and gos? Dummy's and line breaks from deep? Kicking from hand into corner from distance? Crossfield kicks? Typical Tigers fans though,I suppose Slater will be forgotten about soon! Ford is slightly better than Burns at his peak but we haven't seen that for a while and with us losing Ford for 10/11 games and Bath having Freddie for a full season I'd say they have definitely got the better end of the deal and I think folk need to realise what significant upgrade means lol. And don't forget this is a Tigers website,their are Bath fans in our website who think the same as me.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

The point is that Ford will be available for the crucial must win games. In those games last year Burns was found wanting too often and too many must wins were lost.

It doesn't matter how players play in games when the pressure is off, if they can't perform when it matters most.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Were the games lost because of Burns,really? Highly unlikely! No FH can perform to his best when his pack hasn't got at least parity,which highlights Fords shortcomings when he's got England's fantastic pack in front of him!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

dunc wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:07 pm The point is that Ford will be available for the crucial must win games. In those games last year Burns was found wanting too often and too many must wins were lost.

It doesn't matter how players play in games when the pressure is off, if they can't perform when it matters most.
The inference that Freddy was found wanting too often really doesn't paint the whole picture of the Tigers performance last season. I am the last person to use injuries as an excuse for poor/bad results as the management should have plans in place to counter the risk as difficult as that maybe? Having said that, the number of and quality of players missing did, IMO, make a difference? The squad as a whole was devoid of putting together consistent performances not helped by the changes in management. IMO Freddie was particularly good last season, holding together a flaky side and I for one was disappointed at a. the way he was treated in the swap for George. b. the fact that he was let actually let go. The fact that George and several others will be away from the club just means that the remainder must put in a good shift every time sending a message to those away that their international pedigree means diddly squat if want a place in the next Tigers starting XV. Last season is gone - done and dusted. A new regime is in place and we can look forward to the new season.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

The point I was making was that world class players consistently make an impact when it matters most. I don't think we saw enough of that from Burns to be able to call him world class.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

DC1989 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:11 pm Re-watch Tigers loss to Bath at Twickenham last season and see if you still think we haven't upgraded with Ford coming in.
If you were there, you would realise Tiger's failure to sub as defence wilted in 30 odd degrees temperature, around 60 mins, significantly cut the defence line speed and width. After that Ford was allowed to run laterally as well as forward, and outrun the labouring defence.
Having said that, we were about 3 inches from a win, the amount JPP needed to be taller to make the interception.
I saw it as no coincidence that MOC was back, as subbing was an issue (as was promoting young players) when he was coach before.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:23 pm What the Arg team with no rush defence or alignment lol behave! Ford has hardly been excelling for England either,he had a fantastic season under his Dad when Bath made the final but has been nowhere near that level since. Burns was world class at times last season and we are definitely getting the worse end of the deal! Significant upgrade lol
Question when was Burns world class last season?
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

He wasn't,not once. Certainly not now he's gone,he's old news it's all Ford now. Freddie who?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott11 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 pm He wasn't,not once. Certainly not now he's gone,he's old news it's all Ford now. Freddie who?
No but you said he was world class at times last season, I would like to know which games they where in?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:44 pm
DC1989 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:11 pm Re-watch Tigers loss to Bath at Twickenham last season and see if you still think we haven't upgraded with Ford coming in.
If you were there, you would realise Tiger's failure to sub as defence wilted in 30 odd degrees temperature, around 60 mins, significantly cut the defence line speed and width. After that Ford was allowed to run laterally as well as forward, and outrun the labouring defence.
Having said that, we were about 3 inches from a win, the amount JPP needed to be taller to make the interception.
I saw it as no coincidence that MOC was back, as subbing was an issue (as was promoting young players) when he was coach before.
Ford started turning that game round in the first half. He dragged Bath to a victory they didn't deserve. That game highlighted the difference between a very good club flyhalf and an international class flyhalf. Ford adapted his teams tactics and plans on the field, he took responsibility and drove them forwards. He should have been man of the match but Dayglo was hosting a Falatau love in despite Luke Hamilton smashing him all over the park in the first half.

Burns is a very good player and I'm disappointed that he's left but Ford is a better flyhalf in every area other than goal kicking. Ideally I'd have wanted both and pushed the Burns conversion to 15 where he can launch counter attacks from deep, be a secondary playmaker, help with the tactical kicking and still kick for goal. Nevermind.
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:44 pm
Everything that went wrong when MOC was last here was his fault but the three premiership titles we won were nothing to do with him