England team for Saturday

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: England team for Saturday

Post by jgriffin »

Genge had a massive game, far better than Mullen. Ford was immaculate.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
technologus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by technologus »

Let's hope George's improved form and kicking is, at least in part, down to being energised by his impending return to Welford Road.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Genge awesome, backrow awesome (Curry is seriously special), Ford showed his class, Slade and Francis really turned up too in the backs, just a top class game all around
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Wonder if Curry has his own passport or is he travelling as an accompanied child on Eddie's? :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought Mark Wilson made several important defensive turnovers when England were under huge pressure.
Curry is a good young player and clearly has a future but he did look out of his depth a little, I can't help but think his inclusion so soon is to balance those included on residency.
Genge played very well, the England scrum (him included) was smashed very early on and it looked like it was going to be a very awkward game but he made the scrum into 50/50 calls for the ref, very mature and obviously been coached very well!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

HantsTiger wrote:Well that's one back for Solomona!

Anyone else think comparing Brown and Watson at FB that Mikes days are numbered? At least twice he's taken contact rather than offload, where I think Watson would probably back his passing, given his performance this morning.
YES!!!!!!
Semper in excretia
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

What a thrilling if slightly inaccurate game that was. Well impressed by our two lads. Looking forward to next season
I'm not cynical just experienced
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

kpj tiger wrote:Genge awesome, backrow awesome (Curry is seriously special), Ford showed his class, Slade and Francis really turned up too in the backs, just a top class game all around
Disappointed that the Sunday Times correspondent downplays Genge's contribution and shamefully only rates him a '5'. Winning penalties against the Argentina pack and front raw particularly is no mean feat.
Bobmac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Bobmac »

"Anyone else think comparing Brown and Watson at FB that Mikes days are numbered? At least twice he's taken contact rather than offload, where I think Watson would probably back his passing, given his performance this morning".

Must say Brown is the worse full back in rugby at using the outside man to pass to.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Bobmac wrote:"Anyone else think comparing Brown and Watson at FB that Mikes days are numbered? At least twice he's taken contact rather than offload, where I think Watson would probably back his passing, given his performance this morning".

Must say Brown is the worse full back in rugby at using the outside man to pass to.
Brown's strength has been running it back into congested areas to bring structure.
Yesterdays game didn't really suit and I'm not sure it would've suited several of the players currently away with the Lions either!
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

technologus wrote:Let's hope George's improved form and kicking is, at least in part, down to being energised by his impending return to Welford Road.
Ford put in a great shift yesterday, I was watching his first kick through fingers. Fantastic kicking, first class passing, and a try to boot. More work required on defense but now expect this to be trait we'll have to accommodate.

On a separate note, I was also looking forward to seeing the impact Denny would have in his first start for England, shocking start hopefully down to nerves and not to be repeated but his try was exactly what we hoped he'd be capable of.
Last edited by Clowbeck on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TomWeston wrote:
kpj tiger wrote:Genge awesome, backrow awesome (Curry is seriously special), Ford showed his class, Slade and Francis really turned up too in the backs, just a top class game all around
Disappointed that the Sunday Times correspondent downplays Genge's contribution and shamefully only rates him a '5'. Winning penalties against the Argentina pack and front raw particularly is no mean feat.
Quite so, did wonder if I was watching the same game - he was excellent in the loose too and made several turnovers, one leading directly to a try.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable and entertaining games of rugby I have watched for a long time. Some great English prospects coming through and agree with other posters - Genge and Ford played really well.

Can see the Curry brothers being England's long-term solution in the back row. And as they are twins, guess you can rotate them (with injuries etc.) and always have one around without anyone spotting :smt003 Excellent prospects though and I'm jealous they aren't from the Tigers academy!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Clowbeck wrote:
technologus wrote:Let's hope George's improved form and kicking is, at least in part, down to being energised by his impending return to Welford Road.
Ford put in a great shift yesterday, I was watching his first kick through fingers. Fantastic kicking, first class passing, and a try to boot. More work required on defense but now expect this to be trait we'll have to accommodate.
Ford didn't miss any tackles that I noticed. He doesn't dominate the tackle area but he has a habit of targeting the ball so that even if he doesn't win the collision he does slow down the opposition ball. In previous seasons we've accommodated Freddie who isn't the most physical tackler so there won't be much change.

Good to see that Eddie wants a combative openside in the England squad. It's what we've been missing. Just feel for Evans that injury has meant he wasn't in contention for the tour and then ruled him out of the JWC.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

jgriffin wrote:Genge had a massive game, far better than Mullen. Ford was immaculate.
+100 :smt023. IMO that was GF's best game ever, never mind just in an England shirt. Genge too was as you say JG immense. Digging that ball out that lead to that try was totally brilliant!! The only downside is that I have to re-stock my beer fridge for next weekend.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat