England team for Saturday

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: England team for Saturday

Post by BFG »

Not surprised by Ford's improved kicking performance given that Vesty is also in Argentina!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

To play so well, pull out a victory and blood so many players - on a long distance tour can only augur well for the team going forward. It was a great watch too.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Best game of rugby I've seen in ages.

Put the Lions to shame.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote:Not surprised by Ford's improved kicking performance given that Vesty is also in Argentina!
No offence to Sam, but I would think it is more likely due to Ford having coaching from Lord Wilkinson
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Chobbsy wrote:
BFG wrote:Not surprised by Ford's improved kicking performance given that Vesty is also in Argentina!
No offence to Sam, but I would think it is more likely due to Ford having coaching from Lord Wilkinson
Aim at that Delfina woman's lap!
Which one?
The one sticking two fingers up!
Blimey that could go anywhere in the ground!

Whoever it is (if anyone) the timing would suggest the ex-Tiger might know something and rightly so!
I fancy the credit belongs to the coach and not the commentator!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote:
Chobbsy wrote:
Aim at that Delfina woman's lap!
Which one?
The one sticking two fingers up!
Blimey that could go anywhere in the ground!

Whoever it is (if anyone) the timing would suggest the ex-Tiger might know something and rightly so!
I fancy the credit belongs to the coach and not the commentator!
I am lost, :smt017 GF has been getting coaching from Johhny Wilkinson, that was what I was suggesting
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Chobbsy wrote:
I am lost, :smt017 GF has been getting coaching from Johhny Wilkinson, that was what I was suggesting
It was reported that Wilkinson had been brought in since well over a year ago, with no change.
Saturday was a miraculous improvement!
I'd be inclined to give some credit to the current coaches.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="BFG"][quote="Chobbsy"]

I am lost, :smt017 GF has been getting coaching from Johhny Wilkinson, that was what I was suggesting[/quote]

It was reported that Wilkinson had been brought in since well over a year ago, with no change.
I'd be inclined to give some credit to the current coaches.[/quote]

Perhaps so, but it is pretty quick work.
More likely,imo, that he had a 'good day at the office'. Also, kicking at altitude helps, especially as Ford normally struggles with distance once he gets close to halfway.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

MurphysLaw wrote:
BFG wrote:
Chobbsy wrote:
I'd be inclined to give some credit to the current coaches.
Perhaps so, but it is pretty quick work.
More likely,imo, that he had a 'good day at the office'. Also, kicking at altitude helps, especially as Ford normally struggles with distance once he gets close to halfway.
When it's right it can be a quick transformation.
I like the altitude explanation, the difference in range could well upset a players consistency, in which case England could be less reliant on Farrell if Daly is on the park.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well certainly a harem, scarem game and one in which both teams had defensive lapses. Thought England were a bit lucky to shade it in the end.

Definately one of the best games in an England shirt by GF, hopefully it wasn't a one off.

Not sure about this 'Saxons' type approach though, bit of a trial and error approach by EJ there which I'm not sure will build a solid squad for the next few years.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

G.K wrote:
Not sure about this 'Saxons' type approach though, bit of a trial and error approach by EJ there which I'm not sure will build a solid squad for the next few years.
And in what way did EJ have any choice, 10+ of his first choice players are on Lions duty?

How can exposing young and ambitious players, who will likely feature in future English 1st XV not benefit them?

Strategically, EJ has been correct so far.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:
G.K wrote:
And in what way did EJ have any choice, 10+ of his first choice players are on Lions duty?

How can exposing young and ambitious players, who will likely feature in future English 1st XV not benefit them?

Strategically, EJ has been correct so far.
And he has said that the next EPS will be strongly World Cup orientated. Saturday (17th) could be last chance saloon for some to get into the WC reckoning.
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

England squad to play Argentina
15. Mike Brown, vc (Harlequins, 61 caps), 14. Marland Yarde (Harlequins, 12 caps), 13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 6 caps), 12. Piers Francis (Northampton Saints, 1 cap), 11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 26 caps), 10. George Ford, vc (Bath Rugby, 36 caps), 9. Danny Care, vc (Harlequins, 72 caps), 1. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 2 cap), 2. Dylan Hartley, c (Northampton Saints, 85 caps), 3. Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 1 cap), 4. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 4 caps), 5. Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 43 caps), 6. Chris Robshaw (Harlequins 55 caps), 7. Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, uncapped), 8. Nathan Hughes (Wasps, 9 caps).
Finishers
16. Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors, uncapped), 17. Matt Mullan (Wasps, 16 caps), 18. Will Collier (Harlequins, 1 cap), 19. Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, 1 cap), 20. Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap), 21. Jack Maunder (Exeter Chiefs, 1 cap), 22. Alex Lozowski (Saracens, 1 cap), 23. Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks, one cap).

Two observations. Finishers not subs. How Eddie is that? Secondly I hope Tom Curry is injured because I'd be pretty fed up to have played out of my skin the week before and then get dropped
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Good to see Ellis getting a second start. He had a great first test and may soon be first choice, particularly as experience grows. Along with Dan the man they make a strong unit :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Noggs wrote:Good to see Ellis getting a second start. He had a great first test and may soon be first choice, particularly as experience grows. Along with Dan the man they make a strong unit :smt023
The fact England have Genge, M.Vunipola, George and Sickler available in the front row is exciting, they have to be some of the most destructive carriers in the world as far as front rowers are concerned