New Signings !!!! I am totally under whelmed

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

New Signings !!!! I am totally under whelmed

Post by Chobbsy »

Well after yesterdays announcement of the new signings I am left underwhelmed I hope 2 things,

1, I am proved totally wrong (I am married so I am used to that)
2, That there are more signings to come.

Oh and just to head off any outbursts, this isn't me going against Tigers, not being a true Tigers fan, wanting MOC out, it is just my opinion.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: New Signings !!!! I am totally under whelmed

Post by RagingBull »

Do you really need to start a thread on how underwhelmed you are on the signings?

I mean you could of just posted that in the contracts and Signings thread.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

RagingBull wrote:Do you really need to start a thread on how underwhelmed you are on the signings?

I mean you could of just posted that in the contracts and Signings thread.
Sorry I thought this was a forum? I wasn't aware I had to check with you what I could post, I knew as usual on here someone would have to say something about, hey if you not in favour of the topic, don't read it, don't comment on it, after all it's a free country.
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Chobbsy wrote:Well after yesterdays announcement of the new signings I am left underwhelmed I hope 2 things,

1, I am proved totally wrong (I am married so I am used to that)
2, That there are more signings to come.

Oh and just to head off any outbursts, this isn't me going against Tigers, not being a true Tigers fan, wanting MOC out, it is just my opinion.
I agree. I'm even a bit indifferent to the news of George Ford. I think he is a great 10, but his kicking worries me.

Like you though, I'm hopeful that there will be some more signings, and that MOC has a plan that will be well executed to great success. But right here right now, I'm not feeling that great.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The season has only just finished......there have been signings announced and we do not know if more to come. We can only wait and see......MOC maybe looking at the current squad and have other players in line to bring in.....it is his responsibility for the outcome of next season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tigerbeat wrote:The season has only just finished......there have been signings announced and we do not know if more to come. We can only wait and see......MOC maybe looking at the current squad and have other players in line to bring in.....it is his responsibility for the outcome of next season.
Totally agree but as I said on the crop announced yesterday I am under whelmed and I hope there are more and better to come. As PREVIOUSLY stated this is not a MOC out or anti MOC post :smt010
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

As far as I am aware Mauger had a substantial say on all our new signings over the last 2 seasons. It stands to reason that if MOC wants to replace some or all of these or pre-existing signings then it cannot be done overnight without running the risk of making desperate signings. Mauger had a very different rugby philosophy to Cockers and MOC, but frankly he did not sign the quality of player(s) necessary to achieve it. MOC is now setting about remodelling the squad to meet his vision and I sincerely hope his signings will strengthen the squad and not denude it.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I think you have a right to be totally underwhelmed with the majority of our squad..it is hard to not be negative because bar Veainu/Toomua/Genge (I would write Manu but I am worried we will never see him roaring again) we do not have an exciting squad...the lack of young players we have coming through especially in the backs compared to others is also pretty embarrassing...

Add to that the fact our new 10 cannot kick makes it very worrying..it has now been so long bar Toomua we signed someone who has real class

For me: Props- Very Good
Hookers-Good
Locks-Good but lack top end quality
Backrow-Average
Halfbacks-Very good frontline lacking quality after that
Centres- Very Good if both fit but quality after that is poor
Wings- Good- No wingers that can create magic though
Fullback- Not enough quality behind Veainu
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

JackFlashJonny wrote:bar Veainu/Toomua/Genge (I would write Manu but I am worried we will never see him roaring again) we do not have an exciting squad...
Do Exeter have an exciting squad? What about Saracens? Let's have a shout out of the exciting players in those squads? Don't get me wrong you need some magic dust, you need some world class players but mostly you are looking for players to put in a stint in order to allow those players to operate. Additionally, often the unheralded signings turn out to be the best.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:bar Veainu/Toomua/Genge (I would write Manu but I am worried we will never see him roaring again) we do not have an exciting squad...
Do Exeter have an exciting squad? What about Saracens? Let's have a shout out of the exciting players in those squads? Don't get me wrong you need some magic dust, you need some world class players but mostly you are looking for players to put in a stint in order to allow those players to operate. Additionally, often the unheralded signings turn out to be the best.
Depends upon what you mean when you say exciting, if its the ability to score tries freely and defend agressively then Exeter and Sarries both have exciting squads.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ourla wrote:
Yes Exeter and Saracens do...talent is exciting..young players with talent coming through the ranks is especially exciting...it is the latter I find exceptionally worrying for Tigers

Exeter: Nowell-Slade-Simmonds-Ewers-Armand-LCD-Campagnaro

Saracens: Vunipola x 2- Kruis- Itoje- Brits- Bosh- Williams
Young players: Isiekwe, Spencer, Earle, Tompkins
Tigers Tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigers Tiger »

Tigers announced weeks ago that there were no more major signings to be announced, so do not expect any world beaters now !!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I can understand why some might be a little underwhelmed.
Personally though I would prefer some silent substance over the talkers of recent years so I'll wait and see how it pans out.
I think Ryan could be a decent signing, I'm hoping he will bring some more of what Dom Barrow has brought and the likes of Shane Jennings etc before them.
I think Holmes could also be a decent signing.
I'm not convinced by the Joe Ford signing, I expect he is just back up, he seems to have a good boot but it'll be a big step up required to be here in playmaking especially if the centres continue to be unsettled.
Kalamafoni is a risky signing, if it goes well then I expect Leicester will go well, but it's not a given IMO!
The one thing that I don't particularly enjoy is just how many brothers we seem to possess in the ranks let alone connected family members added such as uncles and nephews, it's getting to be on an embarrassing level in my opinion and is it some sort of record!
If they were all absolutely brilliant then fine but far from it in most cases!
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

A serious question for the Chairman, CEO and Board of Directors of Leicester Tigers:

How are London Irish recruiting better than us?
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JWM wrote:A serious question for the Chairman, CEO and Board of Directors of Leicester Tigers:

How are London Irish recruiting better than us?

Money, money, money, plus they know their current squad isn't good enough to keep them up