Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Signings !!!! I am totally under whelmed

Post by ABClub »

TTRITH wrote:
ABClub wrote: Marty seems the more realistic one who may be wanting to move away. If he does then I'd want him at Tigers in a heart beat. He cover two positions where we need depth and does so to a better standard than those he'd be replacing. From 15 he could offer a second play maker giving us genuine attacking options on both sides of the field, especially in the opposition 22.
Could do a Scott Hamilton here I think. Having him as a second choice 10/15 makes far more sense then having our first choice 12 as second choice 10.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine us bringing him in without finding Tait another club first; unless the Betham money frees up enough cap?
Betham was supposedly on a big wedge but a Kiwi utility back such as McKenzie would raise the interest of many clubs, especially in France.

With the way wages have shot up it's difficult to have much idea about comparative wages these days. Despite his obvious talent and class I think few would have guessed that Woodward was the highest paid player at Brizz until it filtered through the rumour mill whilst he was signing with Gloucs.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I thought it was pretty obvious that Woodward was the highest played player at Bristol really.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd have expected Lam, Varndell and Lemi to be on more. Perhaps Tonga'uiha as well. Before people start pointing out respective ability I completely agree Woodward was Brizz best player by a distance.

It wasn't a high profile signing when he arrived though. He was a talented utility back but one who hadn't held down a starting position with a Super Rugby franchise. Whilst injury and Milner-Skudder were significant parts in that it still didn't scream of someone demanding that sort of salary. Obviously it proved a good investment by Bristol, albeit a short one given their relegation.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote:I'd have expected Lam, Varndell and Lemi to be on more. Perhaps Tonga'uiha as well. Before people start pointing out respective ability I completely agree Woodward was Brizz best player by a distance.

It wasn't a high profile signing when he arrived though. He was a talented utility back but one who hadn't held down a starting position with a Super Rugby franchise. Whilst injury and Milner-Skudder were significant parts in that it still didn't scream of someone demanding that sort of salary. Obviously it proved a good investment by Bristol, albeit a short one given their relegation.
Before Woodward signed there were rumours his agent was touting him around but he'd only leave NZ for the AP and for big money. He rotated pretty well in the Hurricanes back three and they have some good options back there (Savea, Jane, Milner-Skudder, Marshall).

Hopefully Marty Mckenzie isn't so wage focused and having had a quieter time of late in the SH will be a little cheaper. The French may offer more money but it's not always attractive to players as it's a big change in language and culture.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

rdracup wrote:Just to remind us of leavers I see Tigers news on the website is covering some old boys fortunes. Owen Williams is a Gloucester player (as listed by WRFU as well) yet we have a June 14 story about him being in the Wales 23 this weekend. Maybe Tigers news will follow up with some stories on Twelvetrees, Gibson, Goneva, Mermoz, Waldron, Parling, Flood, Burns....I could go on.

You already did :smt015

And they did for a short while after the players left. So the OW story follows previous precedent.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Would it just be easier if Tigers officially becae a Super 15 franchise (Northern Conference)?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

MacKenzie not looking so great for Maori All Blacks today...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Grimlish wrote:MacKenzie not looking so great for Maori All Blacks today...
Both his pack and his centres were being physically dominated. He kicked pretty well but other than that he was mainly doing tackling practice.

It's not the McKenzie I expect to see coming over.