Watching the Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Watching the Lions

Post by Spicer »

How come Gatland called for more physicality and has left CJ Stander on the bench? He was tearing it up in the 6 shirt for Ireland.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Spicer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:28 pm How come Gatland called for more physicality and has left CJ Stander on the bench? He was tearing it up in the 6 shirt for Ireland.
Stander hasn't carried anywhere near his best this tour, personally I wouldn't have had him in the 23.

Disappointed that the Henderson isn't in the 23 as well, both Kruis and AWJ should have been dropped IMO.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Top try scorer on the tour left out of the 23. Just saying.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

biffer wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:39 pm Top try scorer on the tour left out of the 23. Just saying.
+1 looked to be a good form too.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

drc_007 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:48 pm
biffer wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:39 pm Top try scorer on the tour left out of the 23. Just saying.
+1 looked to be a good form too.
Two tries off defensive positions / forced interceptions as well, not to be discounted against the ABs.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:57 am Disappointed that the Henderson isn't in the 23 as well, both Kruis and AWJ should have been dropped IMO.
To be fair to Kruis and the selectors, it's not often he has two consecutively bad games. However, as for AWJ - he's not going to find another yard of pace, is he?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Duh - you just don't get it do you? Scoring trys is not in the Gatland playbook!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Gatland proved right! Sonny Bill Williams unable to break through the Sexton/Farrell channel - solid defence!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:37 am Gatland proved right! Sonny Bill Williams unable to break through the Sexton/Farrell channel - solid defence!
Helped immeasurably by his being red carded in the first quarter.
I'm not cynical just experienced
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

chewbacca wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:17 am
strawclearer wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:37 am Gatland proved right! Sonny Bill Williams unable to break through the Sexton/Farrell channel - solid defence!
Some days, I feel my humour is totally wasted!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Great win and two good trys.

If we can sort out the indiscipline we have a chance in the 3rd test. Having said that I agree with Ferris, thought the ref was trying to make a name for himself, awarding pens for stuff many other refs would have let go with a warning/quiet word...

I hate the slow motion replays of foul play incidents, thought Maku was unbelievably unlucky to get a yellow and both pens were marginal.

Warburton had a good game to be fair. It was interesting that very few replacements were used, no Teo, Nowell (except briefly), Webb, Owens or Stander. That is very unusual.

Farrell again showed his fantastic big game temperament.

Looking forward to next week.
Soggypitch
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm
chewbacca wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:17 am
Some days, I feel my humour is totally wasted!
Me too :smt001
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I thought the last (winning) penalty for taking the man in the air was exceptionally harsh although technically correct. Kicking from hand was a bit wayward. Good tries but the penalties will kill us at the end of the day
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

For me it took two bits of individual magic to get the Lions home, Garces was 100% spot on with SBW red card, that hit could have easily caused Watson a serious injury, for me tho when Garces says it's a red to the other officials we see last weeks ref Peyper trying to edge him away from it and says let's look again, for me there is a clear bias from Peyper and if that incident had happened in the first game I think it would have probably been overlooked. In the second half the TMO was just ready and waiting with every boo from the crowd and Garces was very generous to NZ with some 50/50 decisions.
As for performance, Murray, Itoje, George, Faletau were awesome.
Mako was generally poor all round, gave silly penalties away and offered little in the scrum, Sinckler looked pumped when he came on and I would defiantly start with him next week, the only other change would be Lawes in for Wyn Jones.
I think Garland tactically got it wrong in the second half, the lions needed to start punching holes in the NZ midfield as they were just milking the penalties, without the two bits of magic and Farrells cool boot this tour would be done and dusted.
Let's hope the defeat puts some doubt in the NZ minds and the home invincibility tag has now gone, first loss at home in 7 years must hurt, but I do worry about a wounded beast like NZ. Heart says Lions next week but head says a monster NZ performance with a big winning margin.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

chewbacca wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:20 pm I thought the last (winning) penalty for taking the man in the air was exceptionally harsh although technically correct. Kicking from hand was a bit wayward. Good tries but the penalties will kill us at the end of the day
Have to agree, the kicking game needs to improve and kicking the ball dead from your own half is criminal, massive improvement required to stand any chance next week