Watching the Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Watching the Lions

Post by Noddy555 »

Well the result was good but the match was bleeding awful.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Lions squad to play Highlanders:

Team: Payne; Nowell, Seymour; Joseph, Henshaw, Biggar; Webb; Marler, Best, Sinckler; Lawes, Henderson; Haskell, Warburton (captain), Stander

Replacements: Owens, McGrath, Cole, Jones, Tipuric, Laidlaw, Farrell, Daly.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Not the strongest team.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Soggypitch wrote:Gatland seems determined not to pick two first receivers and go with crash ball at 12.
A mistake IMO Sexton should be 10 and Farrell at 12 with whoever is most on form playing 13, Davies, Joseph or Daly.
We need to play a much more pragmatic game, go unstructured v the Crusaders and we'll get smashed.

Why a Welsh captain every game?! Murray or Farrell could easily captain that team.
Concur!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

This Welsh captain thing is getting to me. Gatland's last throw of the biased die? TBH there aren't that many Welsh have covered themselves with glory so far - English and Irish in the pack with Owens and Faletau - and why the hell isn't Daly in the mix while Davies and Williams stil are?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

To be honest I find the Lions Tour a non-event. Without appearing to be dis-respectful to the host country and all the players, I really do not care who wins or loses. For me it is now just a money-machine with the usual outcome of the NH having a bunch of injured players to cope with for pre-season. Besides when England are playing at the same time - no contest, far more important and entertaining.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

TigerCam wrote:To be honest I find the Lions Tour a non-event. Without appearing to be dis-respectful to the host country and all the players, I really do not care who wins or loses. For me it is now just a money-machine with the usual outcome of the NH having a bunch of injured players to cope with for pre-season. Besides when England are playing at the same time - no contest, far more important and entertaining.
I agree: it's now an unwelcome anachronism as far as I am concerned. At some point, I expect a player will decline selection in preference for playing for his country and that should auger the end of the lions as we know it.
Tin hat is firmly strapped on :smt044
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:Well the result was good but the match was bleeding awful.
I beg to differ. I enjoyed it. A high intensity battle with two outstanding defences.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Iain wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:Well the result was good but the match was bleeding awful.
I beg to differ. I enjoyed it. A high intensity battle with two outstanding defences.
I agree. It's great to see tries scored but sometimes it isn't everything.

Ford had a great game and if he plays the same for us I will be a very happy man :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Sometimes people don't get the Lions. We get it. So just ignore the thread and do something else.

I've not watched any of it so far. I have a family, other hobbies and a day job. These games are like pre-season friendlies to me. Worth reading the match report to see who is putting their hands up and who isn't but that is about it. The meat of the tour and whether it's a success or not is purely down to the tests. And I hope to be watching those live.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

TigerCam wrote:To be honest I find the Lions Tour a non-event. Without appearing to be dis-respectful to the host country and all the players, I really do not care who wins or loses. For me it is now just a money-machine with the usual outcome of the NH having a bunch of injured players to cope with for pre-season. Besides when England are playing at the same time - no contest, far more important and entertaining.
100% agree.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Roly wrote:
100% agree.
Others don't. I still enjoy it. So be it.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote:
100% agree.
There are two sides of the Lions fence though.
Touring is a rugby tradition, to be a part of a tour is a special thing, I have memories of touring that I can relate to when I hear previous Lions stories, it's a great thing to be a part of!
For the players I don't think it's fair that just because they are pro's that they shouldn't have an opportunity to take part in that type of rugby tradition.
I can certainly understand a view that opposes it with the way the modern pro game is shaped around money but I do think it would be sad for players in particular were it not continued, and it would be one of the final separations from the grassroots side of the game.
The only shame IMO is that the Lions don't attempt to play in the style that England did on Saturday, that idea of Barbarian type running rugby, but that isn't the players fault, it's just another example of winning at all costs taking over everything!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Its a good thing England (which should be every English international player's priority) stepped up and showed what they can do on Saturday.

The strength in depth Jones has at his disposal is very encouraging - and it'll need to be because the Lions farce will ensure that the English players who took the coin for that one will be emotionally, physiologically and psychologically destroyed for 18 months to come.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote:Its a good thing England (which should be every English international player's priority) stepped up and showed what they can do on Saturday.

The strength in depth Jones has at his disposal is very encouraging - and it'll need to be because the Lions farce will ensure that the English players who took the coin for that one will be emotionally, physiologically and psychologically destroyed for 18 months to come.
You may be correct and time will tell!
The other theory is that some of those English players might learn something that could make all the difference in a positive way in time!