Watching the Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Watching the Lions

Post by kpj tiger »

Absolute naff, the forwards did all they could but the backs looked :censored:, Howley & Warrenball are going to come back to haunt this Lions team in every game
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Pack was OK, scrum very good but line out looked a little disorganised at times, breakdown competitive but not dominant.

Backs inept in both attack and defence. Not sure this will get any better either.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

drc_007 wrote:
Backs inept in both attack and defence. Not sure this will get any better either.
Agreed, it's not like we've got a player that hasn't played yet that's a game changer.

It's OK Gatland saying this is the best preparation as long as he can make the changes and tweaks to address the problems. Howleys attacking chaos lived up to it's name....
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

The thing that has surprised me most about the backs is I don't remember seeing one set piece attacking move yet, Wales (Cuthbert or North from behind the diamond), Ireland (Sexton Loop) and England (JJ vs Scotland) have all profited from these in the past to get the scoreboard moving
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

kpj tiger wrote:Absolute naff, the forwards did all they could but the backs looked :censored:, Howley & Warrenball are going to come back to haunt this Lions team in every game
Except that at the end there it was Marler crawling around who threw away a great chance to score under the posts and the final lineout throw which blew it once and for all.

For me there were simply too many errors all over the park - the forwards were at least competitive. But Knowles was left exposed by the defensive line meandering out of position (Haskell for the first Blues try). I agree we didnt show much from the backs in attack. Could have done with the speed and aggression of BY, and the hands and feet of GF...
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Better get used to it. With Fatland in charge, the Lions will lose every game - and I hope they do. Then finally it might be the end to this nonsense trotted out as bonne homme.

Oh, and those that think Lee Halfpenny would be a welcome addition to Tigers' back line, watch this morning's shambolic effort.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What I thought was amusing was the response to those who were critical of Warrenball last week was to look at his record.
Remind me again, just how many tests in the S hemisphere have Wales won under Gatland?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

According to some estimations, they must still be jet lagged... so that explains another poor performance :smt003
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Disappointing. Blues 11 and 12 were pretty damn impressive though. Overall I would say that the Kiwi determination to keep the ball alive and the obvious ball skills to facilitate that make for a very attractive game
I'm not cynical just experienced
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Think we should call them Welsh Lions, seems you have got to be Welsh to coach and to be Captain, that's 3 now in 2 games, Warburton, AW Jones and now Owens, Owens was best of Welsh today, Biggar, Halfpenney, L Williams did nothing to justify their positions. Not many standouts at all today, Nowell very poor, Stander, Itoje, Lawes good, and rest of pack powerful and OK, but Haskell is past it.

I cannot see at moment how we are going to pick a team that has a chance, someone needs to stand out very soon, and please not too many Welsh players, Falateu will do! :smt017
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Half backs need a wire brushing. Need a fast, good box kicking 9, a reliable 10 and a footballing 12. This is not Gatland's way.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

LE18 wrote:Think we should call them Welsh Lions, seems you have got to be Welsh to coach and to be Captain, that's 3 now in 2 games, Warburton, AW Jones and now Owens, Owens was best of Welsh today, Biggar, Halfpenney, L Williams did nothing to justify their positions. Not many standouts at all today, Nowell very poor, Stander, Itoje, Lawes good, and rest of pack powerful and OK, but Haskell is past it.

I cannot see at moment how we are going to pick a team that has a chance, someone needs to stand out very soon, and please not too many Welsh players, Falateu will do! :smt017
Why the chip on your shoulder with Welsh players. There aren't many backs who have justified their positions yet. And to be honest most of them have played a lot worse than Halfpenney. I thought Rhys Webb was the pick of the backs today. BY would definitely have been an improvement on Laidlaw on tour but Webb will push Murray for a starting spot.

The forwards stepped up a level from Saturday. Front 5 went well, Owens played a lot better than Best and Magrath and Cole both put a marker down. Itoji and Lawes too. Tipuric performed better than Warburton (wouldn't agree with Fitzy that he was phenomenal tho) and CJ Stander played well.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Starburst,

I wouldn't say I had a chip on my shoulder about the Welsh but the whole Tour party is overloaded with them , remember they finished 4th in the 6N, too many coaches, Captain that is not really good enough to be picked in the test team, Tipuric is better, I did pay tribute to Faletau and Owens, I forgot to mention Webb who played well, as well as complaining about Haskell and Nowell, seemed like a balanced summary to me!

I note you are in Aberdeen, some of these players were picked ahead of Scots, are you not sore about that? Visser?

Like I said, someone has to stand up, Warrenball will not beat the slick ABs.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

LE18 wrote:Starburst,
remember they finished 4th in the 6N,
Actually they finished 5th
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well first time the Lions have lost to a NZ club team, this was pretty much a collective non-display and I don't see it geting much better with the coaches and players they have. This could be worse than the shambles last time under Woodward.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.