Watching the Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Watching the Lions

Post by drc_007 »

British and Irish Lions: L Williams (Wales); A Watson (England), J Davies (Wales), O Farrell (England), E Daly (England); J Sexton (Ireland), C Murray (Ireland); M Vunipola (England), J George (England), T Furlong (Ireland), M Itoje (England), A W Jones (Wales), S Warburton (Wales, capt), S O'Brien (Ireland), T Faletau (Wales).

Replacements: K Owens (Wales), J McGrath (Ireland), K Sinckler (England), C Lawes (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), R Webb (Wales), B Te'o (England), J Nowell (England).
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

The irony of Read whining to Poite that the Lions are creeping offside on the blind side!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Only 12-6 but Lions were under the cosh for most of the half. Sexton looks like he should be off injured.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

15-15 FT, match drawn, series drawn.

Match could have gone either way, a couple of big let offs for Lions.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Brilliant series and a great achievement by the Lions.

I want to go to SA in 2021 will hopefully be better weather than NZ as well!
Soggypitch
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Anyone who failed to watch that, by choice, really missed seeing some wonderful rugby by both sides, Lions very lucky that ABs spilt so much ball when bursting through gaps at full speed, if they had held some of those super offloads they would have been out of site.
Oh how I wish Tigers coaches could instill some of that pace, offloading, pullying the ball back to player behind going at full speed, oh how I wish!
Do we have the players to try? With George Ford we certainly have a play maker there, but do we have the players outside him to read and play like that? Doubtful with Manu who is a crash ball man, they made gaps with pace and overlaps/cutout passes. Really good job they made a few too many handling errors! :smt045 :smt038 :smt039
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

The Lions bottled it. A draw in a league game where points matter is ok but in a series they should have gone for broke. At 15-12 with just a few minutes to go they should have kicked for the line and tried to win the game. Forget the fact that NZ should have won it easily we had our moment and didnt seize it.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:02 pm The Lions bottled it. A draw in a league game where points matter is ok but in a series they should have gone for broke. At 15-12 with just a few minutes to go they should have kicked for the line and tried to win the game. Forget the fact that NZ should have won it easily we had our moment and didnt seize it.
Glad the game is this easy: I never realised that before, nor the fact that the ABs were simply waiting to roll over and have their tummies tickled....!!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

tigercaspian wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:36 pm
Doghashadhisday wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:02 pm The Lions bottled it. A draw in a league game where points matter is ok but in a series they should have gone for broke. At 15-12 with just a few minutes to go they should have kicked for the line and tried to win the game. Forget the fact that NZ should have won it easily we had our moment and didnt seize it.
Glad the game is this easy: I never realised that before, nor the fact that the ABs were simply waiting to roll over and have their tummies tickled....!!
Not saying I am not proud of the boys drawing the series but if the roles were reversed I am sure the All blacks would have tried for the win. Its the mentality of the Northern Hemissphere that I am talking about which is to play it safe.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Fair comment but the ABs also had their chance to win it - chances - and didn't take them, in part because they also kept cocking up for once but also because the Lions defensive work was outstanding .
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:13 pm Brilliant series and a great achievement by the Lions.

I want to go to SA in 2021 will hopefully be better weather than NZ as well!
Totally agreed but the games were played in one of the mildest winters that New Zealand has experienced for several years. Yes I was there at some wet matches but I must place on record the tremendous friendliness of all the New Zealander's who went out of there way to assist, making you most welcome .
I found the best discount card was wearing the Lions shirt!
I do not think you will get that friendliness in South Africa in 2021, so thank you to all our New Zealand friends. :smt039
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Is it it me or are the Kiwi's having a bit of whinge about the fact they weren't allowed to win ??

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11888071

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11888011

"The Ritchie McCaw factor is finally wearing off........" Draw your on conclusions.......!!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Bottled it?!

They went for the 3 points (quite rightly) to draw level and then would have tried to get back into position for a drop goal, try or penalty to win it. Unfortunately New Zealand got the ball back and got very close to the try line but got forced into touch.

Had they not gone for the 3 points and lost the game, everyone would be moaning! Remember Robshaw for England a few years back?!
Mollycat

Post by Mollycat »

Can i add this is our 3rd lions tour and the people and country have been amazing, will go to sa again had no issues with friendship shown by them either wonderful life experience🦁🏉
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

tigercaspian wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:56 am Is it it me or are the Kiwi's having a bit of whinge about the fact they weren't allowed to win ??

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11888071

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11888011

"The Ritchie McCaw factor is finally wearing off........" Draw your on conclusions.......!!
I suspect it more a realisation that they have to look to the next generation to step up.