Watching the Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Watching the Lions

Post by drc_007 »

I thought North was too passive in defence, must be difficult playing out of position at inside centre but he just waited for his opposite number to run into him, no attempt to close the gap or drive his man back.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Team to play British & Irish Lions in Wellington on Saturday
New Zealand I Dagg; W Naholo, A Lienert-Brown, S B Williams, R Ioane; B Barrett, A Smith; J Moody, C Taylor, O Franks, B Retallick, S Whitelock, J Kaino, S Cane, K Read (capt).

Replacements N Harris, W Crockett, C Faumuina, S Barrett, A Savea, TJ Perenara, A Crruden, N Laumape.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

British & Irish Lions starting XV
L Williams; A Watson, J Davies, O Farrell, E Daly; J Sexton, C Murray; M Vunipola, J George, T Furlong, AW Jones, M Itoje, S Warburton (capt), S O’Brien, T Faletau.

Replacements: K Owens, J McGrath, K Sinckler, C Lawes, CJ Stander; R Webb, B Te’o, J Nowell
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Not sure how AW Jones keeps his place, in the first test Kruis made more tackles and carried the ball further. Jones only made 1 metre carrying the ball, the lowest amount for any of the starting players on either side.

Not sure about including Nowell, his defence has looked pretty hit and miss on this tour, I hope he does not have to come on early.

Not sure about the Farrell/Sexton combination, barely used on tour except when forced by injuries. Looks like a last throw of the dice?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Hardly know where to start! (That's me as well as Gatland.)

Forwards*: AWJ was seriously - embarrassingly - off the pace in earlier games and should have been replaced by Lawes or Henderson; Warburton on his game would be fair enough but his inclusion is a bit of a leap of faith; Rory Best must have been close for what he brings to the breakdown; CJ Stander might have been worth a start at 8.

Backs: Te'o being left out baffles me since he kept SBW quiet and provided a strength in the 10/12 channel that must now be a real worry, despite Farrell's defensive qualities. Hate to say it but Biggar's probably the on-form 10 right now! I realise that playing Sexton/Farrell gives us a better chance of getting the ball to our back 3 - we'll be adopting the same approach next season with Ford/Toomua - but I worry about what will happen when the AB's have it!

A strong bench but it may be all over by the time they get on - I can see AB's by 20+.

*I note Nick Mullins suggested a team made up of Dan Coles in every position ("he's that good!") apart from Lawes in one of the lock positions would be his ideal team. I must admit - starting with Dan would be a smart move imho.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Was Mullins talking Dan Cole or Dane Coles.

I love Dan but.....Dane Coles he aint
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Was stood outside of the team hotel when they came out to get on the bus to go off for training and Dan did not look a happy man. 1st on the bus with a face like thunder but even that was better than Joe Marler who covered his face with his hands when I tried to take a picture for my memories. Not once but twice. IMHO Dan looked like a man who just wanted to get home.
Hehehehehehehehe
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Grimlish wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:09 am Was Mullins talking Dan Cole or Dane Coles.

No, he meant Dan Cole. How can Dane Coles play for the Lions?! :smt017
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I think Gatland has lost the plot!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:51 pm
Grimlish wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:09 am Was Mullins talking Dan Cole or Dane Coles.

No, he meant Dan Cole. How can Dane Coles play for the Lions?! :smt017
Well obviously so but since Strawclearer's post was ambiguous on which team and player Mullins was referring to I thought a bit of playfulness was in order. So long as that's alright with you Ellis9 - I'll ask permission next time, promise...
Clearer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

AWJ must've slipped a few notes to Gatland 'cos he should be a long way from even being in the match squad. Lawes should be starting and Henderson must be extremely miffed not even being on the bench.
Elsewhere, I'd have preferred Tipuric to Warburton and Haskell for the off-form Stander.

If the ABs get the nudge again in the front row, as I'm sure they will, then the Lions backs will be spending much of the match on the back foot and the series will sadly be lost.
Semper in excretia
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Yes - I was using the plural of Cole rather than the singular of Coles but I'll be sure to run it past the Grammar Police in future! One - or, indeed, several* - can't be too (or three) careful!

*I'm using 'several' as a determiner and pronoun there rather than an adjective. :smt004
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Not the Lions team I'd be opting for in the circumstances but then I never really understood several selections from the off, not the best players available from Britain and Ireland to play tight or loose in many cases in my opinion so what the Lions tactics actually are is anybody's guess!
The Lions are deluded if they think this lot are good enough to play the All Blacks at their own game!
Interestingly several of the English selections might create some doubt, Vunipola and Sinckler ahead of Marler and Cole, Itoje ahead of Kruis and Lawes, all undermined by the selection of AWJ which is just astounding given how poor he was in the first test!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Gatland has surprised us all with this one.

1. Despite AWJ clearly not being up to it, he not only stays in the match day squad but starts too!...??? He owes Gats a seriously big game on Saturday....Henderson must be fuming after his MOM display on Tuesday.

2. Sexton for Teo is a massive call and not one I would have made. Curiously, I think it puts more pressure on Faletau and also perhaps Mako as we now have no one else starting who is capable of taking it into traffic and breaking the gain line.

I also think that some players like Dan Cole and Henderson/Lawes were unfortunate to be in the "midweek" team from the start of the tour and have therefore been struggling to get into the test team due to circumstance rather than individual performance (Dan has been at least as good as Furlong, hasn't he?)

Lastly, a comment on the 'Canes game : once Gats had made the decision to call up "local" players for the bench, why the heck did he choose not to use them - serious about turn right there that (probably) cost the Lions the game. What the :censored: ????
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

So the Lions are hoping to run past and round the ABs by playing subtle, clever and deceptive rugby. That's the only reason to go with Farrell at 12 instead of the much heavier Te'o who's more suited to running at and through opponents.

Unfortunately, the best 10 to achieve this is not the one starting on Saturday, nor the one on the bench. He's not even the one cheering from the stands. He's the one getting ready for pre-season at Oval Park.