Watching the Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Watching the Lions

Post by Jay C »

I am very surprised that Kruis is being asked to play again after 80 min on Saturday and when he should still be in the 23 for the 2nd test.

Surely AWJ should be the bench option - or does this infer that he will be starting the 2nd test as well when Itoje/Lawes appear to be better options (and Launchbury for that matter or even Gray...) :smt017
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I'd be very surprised if AWJ is even on the bench for the 2nd Test.
As the Lions' front five were well beaten in the 1st Test, I'd expect a few changes. Itoje and Lawes to start in the second row with maybe Henderson or Kruis on the bench.
I still think that Dan Cole and Rory Best could be in with a shout. If the Lions are going to square the series then they'll need at least parity in the front five.
Earlier I'd suggested North for the bench but if Nowell has a good game, then he should certainly be considered.
Semper in excretia
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Test one has shown us that the forwards need to be quicker in both mind and body, and that the Lions can break through the NZ defence enough to rack up a lot of points if they can be more clinical.

Itoje will surely be a starter in the 2nd test - but both Jones and Kruis were poor on Saturday, so either or both could lose their place. Lawes is a risky option, but possibly a risk worth taking given the need for dynamism, if he doesn't start he should be on the bench. Kruis' selection on Tuesday hints at either him losing his starting place, or being given 30 minutes to show why he should keep it. Jones not being in that squad perhaps means Gatland has made his mind up about him already, one way or the other. As I see it, Itoje has shown why he should start, the other 2nd row spot is still up for grabs.

North should be on the bench next weekend, he's one of the few players we know is capable of producing something special, even if he isn't in form right now - NZ missed plenty of tackles in test one, North is someone who can really take advantage of that if he can find some form. Halfpenny is the steady reliable choice, but he just doesn't give any impact off the bench. It's too late to play safe now.

I expect the front row to stay the same, I'm not sure any changes there would result in us demolishing their scrum, and none of the alternatives will have as much impact around the park. Maybe Gatland will take a gamble and start Sinckler, but I doubt it.

Webb was great off the bench, but he's probably best doing exactly that again next time. Sexton may also being considered, but would one good performance against a weakened Hurricanes team make up for a fairly average tour so far and has faith in Farrell disappeared after one average performance?

The back row were a bit off the pace at the breakdown in test one, but it's hard to see who else would do a much better job - maybe Tipuric or Stander will get a crack at it if they perform well on Tuesday.

Centres were very good against the All Blacks, so I can't see any reason to want to change them. Back 3 were pretty effective too, but with a few errors in defence and against high ball. Still, I think the key to winning will be exploiting the opportunities we've seen the backs can create.
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

I thought it was a great game but I thought the whole of our pack came off second best. Our starting front row and Sinckler row (though he did carry well when he came on) just looked to be carrying too much extra weight ( dare I say fat) compared to theirs. Our front row made the odd carry but could not offer the same dynamism as theirs. In fact they all looked absolutely knackered. I thought both our second rows looked off the pace, particularly Wyn Jones. I can see why Gatland chose him over Itoji as he has a higher error and penalty count but we could live with that as long as he actually manages to compete around the park. The back row tackled well, Faletau over 20, O'Mahoney did well in the line out and OBrien tracked back well for his try but we barely saw them in attack and I can't remember them winning a turnover.

I think there's an argument for starting with Laws and Itoji with Henderson on the bench as the impact player. I could see changes in the front row. I'd start Owens as I could see him at least competing about the pitch. Though I can see an argument for starting with Best and Cole. Both better than last weeks starters on the floor and competing at the breakdown.

Not sure there's a lot we can do in the back row. I like Warburton but after that ankle injury coming on top of the injury he had just before the tour, I just don't think he's fit enough right now. If Stander plays well against the Hurricanes then he'll be off at half time and in with a shout for the second test either at 6 or 8. I think Tipuric has been unlucky this tour and hasn't really been given a chance. he's probably the form 7, gets about the pitch, good engine, good on the floor but just doesn't have the physicality for the AB's. Particularly if the rest of the pack is getting out gunned. Hopefully though if Gatland gets the front five right and they perform better that will allow our back row to perform too.

Surprisingly it was the backs I thought performed really well. I liked the centre partnership (though there's still things to improve there). The back three looked really dangerous. Would have liked to have Hogg in there mind. Connor Murray did a good job. Farrel not as prominent as he'd have liked but he was always going to be in for a hard day behind a dominated pack. Please though no more Farrel and Sexton playing together. Might work for a settled club or international side but not here. Thought Webb looked sharp when he came on and I'd bring him on a bit earlier next time particularly if we are chasing the game. If we are winning perhaps keep Murray on. I can see North forcing his way onto the bench or even a starting berth with a big performance on Tuesday. Is it in him?? I'd like to see the sort of reaction he showed against Ireland after he was dropped in the six nations last year.

Get the front five right, back row into the game and with the backs playing as well as last week, or even better as the back play has been improving week by week, then I can see the Lions being in with a shout.
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

Tiglon you just beat me too it.

I must have been typing when you posted that. If I'd seen it I could have just posted "what he said".
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I don't think the Lions have the right personnel on tour to beat this All Blacks side.
IMO no-one is gong to score heavily against that All Blacks team so the Lions need to be as good at defending as they were at scoring that wonderful try from deep yesterday.
I didn't think the Lions were tight enough and maybe lacked a bit of fitness in comparison in a few areas, lacked pace on the wings and solidity up the middle.
IMO the Lions were close but under control for too much of the game..
Te'o is not my favourite player but has admittedly done quite well but didn't get enough ball yesterday, should've selected Brad Barritt IMO, he with Te'o at 13 and Farrell at 10 could've given this All Black side a test with some blistering pace needed in the outside backs.
A mistake to not play North or is he just too much out of form?
Itoje needs to start IMO and it's a great shame Billy V is injured.
Should've maybe taken Marler and I would've definitely took young Genge for something different off the bench.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Starburst wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:17 pm Tiglon you just beat me too it.

I must have been typing when you posted that. If I'd seen it I could have just posted "what he said".
I was looking for the 'like' button as well.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:33 am British & Irish Lions (v Hurricanes, Tuesday): Nowell, Seymour, Joseph, Henshaw, North, Biggar, Laidlaw, Marler, Best (capt), Cole, Henderson, Lawes, Haskell, Tipuric, Stander. Replacements: Dacey, Dell, Francis, Hill, Kruis, Davies, Russell, Payne.
So playing Kruis and Davies on Tuesday? Total madness, Gatland is just hopeless!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
stonebob
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by stonebob »

to me it looked like daly was at fault for a couple of the ABs tries ,..falatou was very quiet ..stander would be better..also saw obrien make breaks and nobody got to the clear out...i thought pyper was ok ..but i think some lions players were not happy?
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

G.K wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:49 pm
drc_007 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:33 am British & Irish Lions (v Hurricanes, Tuesday): Nowell, Seymour, Joseph, Henshaw, North, Biggar, Laidlaw, Marler, Best (capt), Cole, Henderson, Lawes, Haskell, Tipuric, Stander. Replacements: Dacey, Dell, Francis, Hill, Kruis, Davies, Russell, Payne.
So playing Kruis and Davies on Tuesday? Total madness, Gatland is just hopeless!
That's Gareth Davies the scrum half not Jonathan the centre who played on Sat.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

stonebob wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:34 pm to me it looked like daly was at fault for a couple of the ABs tries ,..falatou was very quiet ..stander would be better..also saw obrien make breaks and nobody got to the clear out...i thought pyper was ok ..but i think some lions players were not happy?
I thought Pyper let them get away with a little more than we did, interference at the breakdown (always an AB strongpoint) and the odd shoulder/armless tackle. Plus I've just noticed Retallick putting a bit of old school shoe into O'Mahony on the 10th minute, you can even hear O'Mahony yell on the ref mic!

I think I'm in the minority that thinks JJ should start at 13, I've thought all tour that JD looks too ponderous with the ball in hand. The one time he looked good, we scored but I'm rewatching now and he looks unsure. He was at a fault for one of the tries as he was busy looking at the ref when they went quickly.

I wouldn't change the rest of the backs but Te'o needs to stay on for the duration and Faz needs to sharpen up, for a bloke who is supposed to be excellent defensively he was too high several times yesterday.

I think, given that Kruis is on the bench midweek, that we'll see AWJ and Itoji start with Kruis on the bench for test 2.I think we need some old school enforcement available somewhere in the forwards, but I'd imagine only Lawes and Kruis offer that?
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

And while I think about the ref, look at the number of lineouts they sack and get away with and how many we got pinged for doing the same.....
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

I thought Pyper missed too much. There was the regular stuff like offsides which he called once or twice on the ABs but which didn't stop all game. The worst of the breakdown infringements was at an attacking ruck second half just two metres from the line in the far corner - clear off-feet hands causing a 'turnover' and preventing a try, so clear yellow for me.

It was one of the clear chances the Lions missed on this occasion with the 'help of the referee'. Not sure what the tactical/training ground changes are for putting that right.

I watched the game on a NZ commentary feed via a Canadian channel in a bar on a Greek island. The clear sense of entitlement and expectation in the commentary was extraordinary. There's no doubting the skill-sets and sheer hard work the ABs bring, but they didn't win that by as clear a margin as the score suggested. Bring it on Lions!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

31-31.

I was listening rather than watching so can't comment accurately. But sounds frustrating to have drawn a game we should have won having been comfortably ahead.

I'm not sure it presents any great indicator for how the test is going to go, mind.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Iain wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:02 am 31-31.

I was listening rather than watching so can't comment accurately. But sounds frustrating to have drawn a game we should have won having been comfortably ahead.

I'm not sure it presents any great indicator for how the test is going to go, mind.
Having watched the full game the Lions scrapped well and pressured the Hurricanes into giving away 2 try's and then built a nice lead, Defense was good until the yellow card and the last 20 in general when Gatland refused to use the controversial bench players and the Cane's exploited some tired legs