Watching the Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Watching the Lions

Post by mol2 »

Tiglon wrote:I really don't see jet lag as a decent excuse. Three days in which every aspect of their lives including sleep patterns could (and should) have been carefully planned and managed is plenty to cope with a change in time zone.

Really poor opening performance, much improvement needed if they're to challenge the Super Rugby teams, let alone the All Blacks.
Really? 20 hours on a plane and play a match after 3 days.
Better off with planned training.

This match achieved nothing for the Lions.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

mol2 wrote:
Tiglon wrote:I really don't see jet lag as a decent excuse. Three days in which every aspect of their lives including sleep patterns could (and should) have been carefully planned and managed is plenty to cope with a change in time zone.

Really poor opening performance, much improvement needed if they're to challenge the Super Rugby teams, let alone the All Blacks.

Yes, really. 20 hours on a very comfortable plane, no doubt - besides, it's not length of time on a plane that causes jet lag, it's the change of time zones. Regardless, sleeping patterns can still be managed in such an allegedly professional environment - that should have all been planned in advance so that all players were in suitable condition by the first match. Faletau, Sinckler and Teo all seemed just fine - are they immune to jet lag? Or was it just that others had poor performances for reasons other than jet lag?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

welshy08 wrote:First lions match is always the same. Thought the Welsh guys did well.

Lets be honest without the Welsh the lions would have disbanded years ago.
I guess you are right? But the reality is that it is the only international game the welsh are any good at as they have the other nations to play the dominate positions?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

mol2 wrote:This match achieved nothing for the Lions.
The Lions won! First time this group of players have played competitively against a drilled and cohesive side...they won! :smt026

Why the doom and gloom, the tour has a long way to go, it's all good surely. Right now the Lions players and coaches have insight into what areas need focus and rigor. Isn't that the whole point of a test?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote:
mol2 wrote:

Yes, really. 20 hours on a very comfortable plane, no doubt - besides, it's not length of time on a plane that causes jet lag, it's the change of time zones. Regardless, sleeping patterns can still be managed in such an allegedly professional environment - that should have all been planned in advance so that all players were in suitable condition by the first match. Faletau, Sinckler and Teo all seemed just fine - are they immune to jet lag? Or was it just that others had poor performances for reasons other than jet lag?
I found it takes a few days to get over jet lag when I headed down under last year. The long flight with :censored: sleep and then the effect of time zone change. I adapted pretty quick but it took me a while to feel back to my normal levels of energy.

Took my wife a little longer and my mother in law about a week.

Some of the lads might have been feeling a little low on energy. Also there's only been a short period of training together so a lot of the dropped balls were probably expected.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Isnt the usual rule of thumb one day for every hour of time zone change? Unless they started adapting their sleep patterns well in advance of travelling it'll be another week before their bodies are in the right time zone. Taking sleeping tablets is hardly conducive to top flight rugby.
Last edited by Grimlish on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I thought Ross Moriarty probably had the best game for the Lions, but to be fair there wasn't a lot to choose from.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

Thought Faletau had a good game, followed by Moriarty and Ben Te'o. Sinckler had a go too. Sexton and Hogg were poor and everyone else pretty much anonymous including the captain Warburton and the 2 guys touted as potential captains Best and Wyn Jones.

At least the bench had an impact. Webb looked sharper and far more of a threat than Laidlaw, ditto farrel and Sexton. Kruis and Tipuric were an improvement too.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tiglon wrote:
mol2 wrote:

Jet Lag is more properly named 'Circadian Dysrhythmia' and approximately 90 minutes of time difference are recovered for every 24 hours at the destination time zone. That does not take into account general fatigue or personal resilience to the condition.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Is this thread now going to be used for all Lions discussions?

Well assuming it is, I like the team for Wednesday, I think it is far stronger than Saturdays.

Lions team to play Blues

Halfpenny; Nowell, Payne, Henshaw, Daly; Biggar, Webb; McGrath, Owens (captain), Cole, Itoje, Lawes, Haskell, Tipuric, Stander

Replacements: Best, Marler, Sinckler, Henderson, O'Mahony, Laidlaw, Sexton, L Williams
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I vote for keeping all the Lions comments in one thread.

Agree this looks a better team, especially the pack.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Most of the Lions were poor even the ones that I expected to do well like George, Hogg, Furlong and Warburton, however the one fellow I thought play well (not wishing to encourage our friends from the valleys!) Was Ross Moriarty. Pushed himself into contention with that performance
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

BFG wrote: Found it difficult watching Te'o in a Lions shirt to be honest, not worth a place anyway in my opinion but seeing a New Zealand born Samoan representative rugby league convert to union against the New Zealand Barbarians just doesn't do the Lions hype any good for me!
I'm with you all the way - maybe we should call them the Brish and Irish and Kiwi and Pacific Islander and South Africa Lions?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Tiglon wrote:
mol2 wrote:

Might be me but I don't recall the ABs whinging about jet lag in the AIs.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

G.K wrote:
Might be me but I don't recall the ABs whinging about jet lag in the AIs.
The All Blacks did arrive in Europe a week before their first game, not three days
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk