Richards leads Falcons to best season in 12 years

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Richards leads Falcons to best season in 12 years

Post by Crumblies »

With the posts championing Cockers success at Toulon leading them to the Top 14 final. Surprise, surprise given Toulons resources.

I thought I might as well join in by reminding people again of another former DOR of ours, who won four consecutive Premiership titles, two successive Heinecken cups and who after being pushed out of the Club has repeatedly gone on to success at less advantaged clubs and show us what we let go:

'After 22 rounds of Aviva Premiership Rugby action, the Falcons ended the year with 10 wins in the competition, the best total in 12 years, the highest final league position in 10 years, the most try bonus points for 16 years and a 10% rise in average attendance.'
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Richards leads Falcons to best season in 12 years

Post by Roly »

Improving Falcons' standing over the last 10 years could amount to anything that kept them out of a relegation battle.

Well done Dean Richards.

Not sure why you've attempted to make the correlation between RC and DR though.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

And before RC nobody had made any decent use of Toulon's resources, previous success being down to the group that retired - Wilko in particular. RC was stunned by the lack of training and fitness of the forwards AIR, and clearly wrought some changes.
I believe both the gentlemen mentioned are excellent DOR/Head Coaches, as are Baxter and Young.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Certainly agree on what Richards has achieved at Newcastle and I hope he continues to improve them.
However, I still find Bloodgate comes too easily to mind for me.
A bit like Maradona and the Hand of God.
The great and good things they have both achieved still have the shadow of one big bad thing over them...............
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Roly wrote:Improving Falcons' standing over the last 10 years could amount to anything that kept them out of a relegation battle.

Well done Dean Richards.

The reason I would have thought was fairly obvious, but I'll explain it for you. On this forum there are some who want to draw a line under the acrimonious departure of a number of players whilst ironically and stubbornly refusing to do the same regarding Cockerill.

I am merely pointing out Dean Richards was equally badly treated and has subsequently had consistent success since his departure and with two different clubs both of which were considerably less advantaged compared with Toulon.

Come back when and if Richard Cockerill has success with Edinburgh comparable with that of Dean Richards with Harlequins and Newcastle. Also bear in mind Richards record at Tigers surpasses that of Cockerill!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Crumblies wrote:
Roly wrote:Improving Falcons' standing over the last 10 years could amount to anything that kept them out of a relegation battle.

Well done Dean Richards.

The reason I would have thought was fairly obvious, but I'll explain it for you. On this forum there are some who want to draw a line under the acrimonious departure of a number of players whilst ironically and stubbornly refusing to do the same regarding Cockerill.

I am merely pointing out Dean Richards was equally badly treated and has subsequently had consistent success since his departure and with two different clubs both of which were considerably less advantaged compared with Toulon.

Come back when and if Richard Cockerill has success with Edinburgh comparable with that of Dean Richards with Harlequins and Newcastle. Also bear in mind Richards record at Tigers surpasses that of Cockerill!
Typical anti-Cockers stuff as expected from the source. He was called in when Toulon were heading down the table and turned them round, beating the top club La Rochelle to get to the final when they looked lucky to make the top six for the playoffs. Compared to most, including M Ford, a hell of a turnaround. But no, carp away. :smt015
PS he didn't cheat to do it either, an unforgivable blot on the otherwise excellent record of Deano (once my total hero).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

All I can say is well done Deano, now perhaps Newcastle will provide quality opposition next season.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Crumblies wrote:
The reason I would have thought was fairly obvious
Er, no. It wasn't. Which funnily enough was why I replied.

If you had made it as clear as your ever so informative explanation, then it wouldn't have been necessary, now would it.

It should be pointed out that Richards is a proven cheat and RC reached the ceiling of his coaching ability at Tigers. But, good luck to both of them.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.