An end to endless tropes about players who left?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

An end to endless tropes about players who left?

Post by jgriffin »

It seems a good time to suggest an end to the endless wittering on about players who left, using ignorance (wilful or otherwise) to bash the club (usually personalised by Cohen now Cockers has gone, and not the organgrinder Mr Tom nor the recent catalyst BK).
My personal contribution is a cessation of my 6 years of moaning about MOC. Yes I moaned when he was here, but as I have previously posted, times have changed and I will judge on what happens next season.
So please put away Fred, OW, Salvi, TTTE, Parling, Lewington, Uncle tom Cobley and all. There were good solid reasons for them going, now let it drop. :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: An end to endless tropes about players who left?

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Fair point but the board really do need to look at their retention policy and attitude towards players who give their all for the Tigers shirt. This is no better typified than with Uncle Tom, a massive loss for the club and clearly the best player we had in any position.

:smt003
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Agreed,its time to move on. :smt023 Change is a constant, we may not like it but its part of life. Onwards and upwards for Tigers :smt027
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Totally agree. Some awful decisions have been made but we cannot go back and change them much as we may like to. The last few games hopefully are an indicator for next season. At least some silverware this season - something the other clubs in the league would have welcomed with open arms.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

To put it in perspective the sinners are celebrating coming 7th and scraping into the euro top competition, something we have always qualified for. Not deliriously happy, but see the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched back on.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

tigerburnie wrote:To put it in perspective the sinners are celebrating coming 7th and scraping into the euro top competition, something we have always qualified for. Not deliriously happy, but see the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched back on.
All because we let Dusty Hare go........
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Hear,Hear I'm fed up with posts moaning about departing players whether heroes or villains. What matters now is that they are replaced by quality players who can perform.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I'm totally fed up with the end of season merry-go-round. Who's in? Who's out? Gets on my liver.

I was used to seeing more of less the same side for a few seasons on the bounce.

When I played the people were as important as the club. I like certain players, I don't like others. Those I do like I follow at other clubs. Goneva at falcons and TTE at Exeter. Is it so wrong to think "He's half tidy, would be good to get him back."

I'm afraid I can't just switch onto new set of players. It doesn't work for me.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Sorry JG but we should sign BJ and Tigermad back onto this forum :smt003 :smt003
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Doghashadhisday wrote:Sorry JG but we should sign BJ and Tigermad back onto this forum :smt003 :smt003
You'll be hankering after Dave Angel and TJS10 next. :smt018
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

J Griffin not the Dave Angel? I didn't know you could rise people from the dead as I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he'd departed for a better life?
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Well, I am one of those who have lamented the departure of certain players in the
past and certainly those you named.
Seeing how great TTE and Parling were in last week's final, (and they were),
it was a reminder of what they could and should have been doing in a Tigers shirt.
We all know why they went and who was responsible. Happily he is gone now and we
are well rid of him.
Nothing we can do about the past except to learn from it,so I am happy to go along with the new regime to a
brighter future, as long as they never again treat those who give their all for the shirt as shoddily as they did LM.
A life long Tiger
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

There have been many on this message board suggesting that the club are wrong to continue paying Manu and others. The game has gone professional and contracts are written for relatively high wages. When a player is at the end of his contract the club looks at past performance and expectation for the future before agreeing new terms. Moody was a great player for us as was Parling but their value to us was reduced by playing for England and the injuries sustained whilst doing so. neither player wanted to give up on international selection and so left. Parling was a brilliant signing for Exeter, Moodos less so for Bath. When contracts are at an end decisions are made, inevitably some decisions will prove right and some will be wrong just as when signing a player who may not fit into our setup for whatever reason.
It was nice when players came through the ranks from the Swifts to the Extras and eventually the 1st XV then as their powers declined back down the levels taking a place on the committee and serving behind the bar. Now of course as they end their time at Leicester they will seek a contract at some lesser club like Bath or Coventry.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Personally, I think that it is wonderful that players seek new opportunities, new horizons, change of scene, etc etc. In business, people move on, it's natural - I can't understand why it should be seen as any different in sport. Those that are left get on with it. Same with Tigers, move on.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.