Referees

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ajcc

Referees

Post by Ajcc »

Hi all I just wondered if anyone has same thoughts as me. As to the standard of referees across the world that you have a few select top referees who are good and confident in what they do but we have very few. Then we have a referees who are along way behide who struggle to be confident and consistent in there decisions.

My issue is that referees are not consistent in there decision making so how can the players play to there full potential as the top players play on the edge of every law.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Referees

Post by Mark62 »

Couldn't agree more.
Take the 2 European finals. With an English and French side in both matchs this meant no refs from either country could be used.
Nigel was always going to get the big game, and love him or hate him, he always provides for an entertaining game.
This meant Lacey got the challenge cup where quite frankly he was awful.

Same yesterday Wayne got 1 game and no doubt the final next week, JP probably the best of the rest, did the championship play off on Wednesday which left us with yesterday's sir who again was awful for both sides.

We need more players moving up as in the Southern Hemisphere where Glen Osbourne and Jamie nutt brown are 2 of the leading officials
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Are refs still amateur? if so it's hardly surprising that no-one is taking up the whistle.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

tigerburnie wrote:Are refs still amateur? if so it's hardly surprising that no-one is taking up the whistle.
Carley had a whistle??? I didn't realise!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

tigerburnie wrote:Are refs still amateur? if so it's hardly surprising that no-one is taking up the whistle.
The referees are employed in a full time capacity by the RFU.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

The gap in standard between Barnes and Carley was vast
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The arghfu are clearly not doing much of a job recruiting then.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Watching the 7s Richard Haughton ex Sarries winger reffing
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

tigerburnie wrote:The arghfu are clearly not doing much of a job recruiting then.
Karl Dickson the Quins scrum half has all his qualifications and has done some reasonable level reffing whilst still playing. Looks like we'll see him as "sir" once he retires from playing.

The RFU will struggle to recruit ex-pros as coaching and media jobs probably pay better and are less scrutinised.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Just seen the highlights of Chiefs v Sarries and my word that last scrum penalty awarded to Chiefs from which they scored at the resulting lineout was a shocker from Waynetta IMO, big case against the Chiefs loosie for walking around IMO!
Two very close semi-finals very much decided by refs, IMO!
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Likewise in our game. I thought (obvious wrongly ) that if a player was rendered or suspected that he had lost conciousness that duty of care meant game should be stopped. Ignoring by 4 RFU Officials not good enough. OK would have meant that we might have unjustly won but PLAYER WELFARE SHOULD COME FIRST
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

There was 9 seconds between the KO and the try being scored. The Tigers medics who are on the sidelines are able to come on to the pitch at any time a player is injured.
The clock was stopped after the score and Burns was given unlimited medical attention.
Had there been a longer period of play before the game was stopped, I would have been concerned.
Barnes stopped the game immediately in the other semi when two players collided and hit heads.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Tiger beat yes I realise that medics are allowed on at any time a player is injured. Can't remember exactly how Freddie received his injury which required lengthy attendance but as you stated Wayne Barnes stopped the game immediately Not 9 seconds later. IIRC no penalty or other sanction given,an accident,why was the same not applied in our game. Yes after the season the team has had and to put on such a great old fashioned Tigers display to loose in the last play of the game are we not allowed to feel hard done by
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Tigerbeat wrote:There was 9 seconds between the KO and the try being scored. The Tigers medics who are on the sidelines are able to come on to the pitch at any time a player is injured.
The clock was stopped after the score and Burns was given unlimited medical attention.
Had there been a longer period of play before the game was stopped, I would have been concerned.
Barnes stopped the game immediately in the other semi when two players collided and hit heads.
I'm sorry, to me that underlines the problem. In one game a ref stops play immediately, without knowing if there had been a KO or not; in the next (literally) a player is KO and play continues. Yes it was only 9 seconds but what would have happened if there was a tackle that stopped that try and Wasps played there or more phases. Nine seconds becomes 30, becomes a minute, etc.

Not arguing that Wasps didn't deserve a try in that last 15 minutes, just think the referee and supporting assistants were poor in handling a head collision that resulted in concussion.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Barnes saw the impact of both players as they both went down.
www.matthampson.co.uk