New Fans

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger Cub

New Fans

Post by 1988 »

Lots of youngsters growing up in the Warwickshire area are going to have a choice of Wasps or Tigers to support.

What do we think are the pros and cons of each?

I can see Wasps getting a lot of the support
- cheaper tickets
- superstar signings
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: New Fans

Post by Mark62 »

The choice is between a very well established club with strong fan base and crowds of 20,000 plus without having to give tickets away and a club that lets face it may or may not be there in 5 years time, with rumoured 30 million debt and not even able to fill the ground yesterday even though we must have taken 10000 fans .
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There does seem to be an undercurrent of dislike for the cuckoos in the area amongst rugby supporters from what I glean from the rollingmaul. There may be the odd small club hoping to benefit from dual registered players to bolster their squads, but the overwhelming feeling is they are not wanted or welcome in the city.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1988 »

Agreed Wasps are actually closer for me than Tigers (Live in Birmingham) and far cheaper to go and watch, however would sooner drive past the ricoh to get to the tigers (and do)

What do we know about the debt situation then? and the risk of not being here? I am not to aware of it.

thanks
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

1988 wrote:Agreed Wasps are actually closer for me than Tigers (Live in Birmingham) and far cheaper to go and watch, however would sooner drive past the ricoh to get to the tigers (and do)
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

1988 wrote:What do we know about the debt situation then? and the risk of not being here? I am not to aware of it.

thanks
Here's a flavour. There is plenty more on the www

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/chan ... e_waspies/
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

It's a valid subject for debate, particularly with the recent thread added regards Cohen feasibly moving on and up.

The game continues to evolve and some clubs are at the forefront of game technology, social media, PR, and brand awareness. Tigers have a huge pedigree and established support base, I dont think we are in the top 3 Premiership clubs competing for brand superiority. Hope to see a step change next season as massive number of positives for the club, just need to up generation the sell.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1988 »

what do we know of our financial situation?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As a PLC our accounts are available every year with a shareholders meeting held in the Autumn, many long term supporters are small share holders as season ticket holders were given a share allocation when we became a Plc. As a company over a ten year period we have pretty much broken even whilst developing the ground with the Holland and Barrett and the Robin Hood stands and a new pitch. We spend to the salary cap plus two marquee players and spend a lot on the community. The last two years we have traded at a small loss but are continuing to invest and develop our holdings in the expectation that the overall business will fund the rugby team as the purely rugby revenues are insufficient to meet the full rugby expenditure.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

1988 wrote: I can see Wasps getting a lot of the support
- cheaper tickets
Unsustainably cheap tickets.
- superstar signings
Only sustainable long term if the ticket prices start going up!

They've had a huge injection of capital BUT things will need to change sooner or later as loans on stadiums etc need repaying.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Mark62 wrote:The choice is between a very well established club with strong fan base and crowds of 20,000 plus without having to give tickets away and a club that lets face it may or may not be there in 5 years time, with rumoured 30 million debt and not even able to fill the ground yesterday even though we must have taken 10000 fans .
Slightly O/T but, if we have 15000 ST holders and 10000 bought tickets, I am surprised that 5000 couldn't or wouldn't go. Accepting that illness, infirmities , family concerns and birthdays/ anniversaries, and other pre-arranged events might have got in the way, this was still not an afternoon when that 'must do' trip to the garden centre had to be done
As we have an average home gate of 22000, that's another 7000+/- more selective attendees: apart from Saints, we don't get thousands of visiting supporters regularly.
The Ricoh accommodates 32000, but only 29000 tickets were sold.
Ergo, it follows that overall attendance was slightly disappointing.......
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

An investigation* is currently underway into the deal between Coventry City Council and the purchasers of the stadium complex. (As in "Wanna buy a stadium? We'll lend you the money, and then you can pay it back")

If any owners of mansions set in agreeable countryside wish to offer me the same deal I am always available.

*Reference to follow
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Loyalty to a club is usually decided at an early age and is usually determined by parental influence or peer pressure at school. Once a boy or girl reaches the age of 12 or 13, it is very difficult to persuade them to change loyalties, That's why
the schools programme run by Tigers is so vital in encouraging youngsters to stick with the team.
Wader91

Post by Wader91 »

Wouldn't say I'm really a new fan but just purchased my first season ticket for next season and I shall be bringing my little 5 year old alone, very much looking forward to September already!!! :smt003