Weakness Yesterday

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger Cub

Weakness Yesterday

Post by 1988 »

Very good performance by the lads, however cant help but think our main weakness out there was Tait.

Not good enough for the Tigers any more. Lightweight and handling errors.

We need 3 or 4 key international players to come in. george ford is one and a start.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Weakness Yesterday

Post by Mark62 »

Think you're being harsh on Tait. Their first try could be chalked up to him as he blitzed and missed his man but other than that was ok, and was marking one of the form backs in British rugby and Daley barely got a sniff.

Who else was there, Roberts for all his attacking prowess has been found lacking defensively recently
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Sorry but have to agree. I watched him closely, and he missed at least 4tackles. Plus any pace he once had has long since gone. A small difference between the two sides, but it cost us.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There was no-one to blame for yesterday, we had our best available out, I only saw 100 percent effort from every individual on the park. After that performance they all deserve our support and gratitude.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

1988 wrote:Very good performance by the lads, however cant help but think our main weakness out there was Tait.

We need 3 or 4 key international players to come in. george ford is one and a start.
Tait rushed out of the line and gave away the space for the first Wasps try yesterday. Against Wuss he gifted a try followed a fumbled high ball. He's a great guy to have at the club but his time as a player is running out.

Not sure we need three or four signings. If Toomua and Manu are fit then that's arguably the best centre pairing in the country. Smith is still a unit that'll hit everything. One more midfield signing to add to the young guys coming through and we should be fine there.

To add to weaknesses, Fitzgerald. Stupid penalties conceded. Including the completely pointless obstruction for the Gopperth penalty just before half time. He's supposed to be one of the experienced heads.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1988 »

agreed, I didn't blame Tait, I was a team effort.

However if we just keep patting everyone on the back all the time and saying well done (even when we loose) we wont ever get back to the top. Great effort 100% yes. But im sure teams like Bristol gave 100% too but they were relegated, effort alone is not enough.

There comes a point in every career where a younger, better player will replace you.

Yes a couple of injured players playing a full season would literally be new signings!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We need someone who is of the same quality or nearer the quality of Toomua and Manu.

The gap between Manu and Toomua and the backups of Smith, Tait, Roberts etc is too much really.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote:We need someone who is of the same quality or nearer the quality of Toomua and Manu.

The gap between Manu and Toomua and the backups of Smith, Tait, Roberts etc is too much really.
Agreed. If that could be a utility player as well that would be a bonus. Ideally a bit of a unit to give us some more midfield go forward.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tait only did in rushing what Manu often does.
I doubt that there is a back in the league who hasn't been made to look a little bit silly by those Wasps backs at some point this season.
You'd struggle to find a utility player to better Tait's quality IMO unless you want to spend big, it was a big game to be moving from full back to centre and to be honest Beale also made some mistakes so no-one is perfect!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote:We need someone who is of the same quality or nearer the quality of Toomua and Manu.

Nail. Head. Hit.

With 3 real quality centres we could rotate, rest and recover properly with Smith there to cover when 2 out of the 3 are unavailable.

As for Tait - like me, he has a good rugby brain which occasionally goes AWOL; he's lost quite a lot of pace but won't completely admit it; and never quite realised his potential (both of our futures are behind us!). I intend to carry on being a spectator and would urge him to join me! (I know - a bit harsh but....)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Whilst I agree physically he isn't anywhere near where he was a few years back and he probably shouldn't be a starting 15 player now he is a quality guy to have as utility, also his commitment in defense was outstanding yesterday, he kept getting up and going again which is impressive for a player who is considered to be fragile.

I'd keep him on but only as a utility back cover
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

kpj tiger wrote:Whilst I agree physically he isn't anywhere near where he was a few years back and he probably shouldn't be a starting 15 player now he is a quality guy to have as utility, also his commitment in defense was outstanding yesterday, he kept getting up and going again which is impressive for a player who is considered to be fragile.

I'd keep him on but only as a utility back cover
But that's my point. I'd be committed in defence; I'd keep getting up (granted, I may need assistance!) and I'm fragile (and very sensitive so don't shout at me!). Unfortunately, however admirable these traits are, they're not enough to guarantee me a wage as a Premiership centre...and I'm sad to say the same applies to Tait.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote:
1988 wrote:Very good performance by the lads, however cant help but think our main weakness out there was Tait.

Tait rushed out of the line and gave away the space for the first Wasps try yesterday. Against Wuss he gifted a try followed a fumbled high ball. He's a great guy to have at the club but his time as a player is running out.

Not sure we need three or four signings. If Toomua and Manu are fit then that's arguably the best centre pairing in the country. Smith is still a unit that'll hit everything. One more midfield signing to add to the young guys coming through and we should be fine there.

To add to weaknesses, Fitzgerald. Stupid penalties conceded. Including the completely pointless obstruction for the Gopperth penalty just before half time. He's supposed to be one of the experienced heads.
Silly penalty but it was Veianu running off with the ball that gave them the extra 10. I think
Tiger Cub

Post by 1988 »

agreed we need quality that we can rotate.

a) to ensure players do not keep getting injured
b) as eddie jones says the subs are the finishers now, clubs have current international coming off the bench!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We can reflect on where we are and where we would like to be next season. We can debate who we think should and maybe shouldn't be in our own first XV. To criticise a player less than 24 hours after giving his best when selected is classless bilge. If any of us where good enough to replace him, then put your boots on and show us how it's done.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.