Weakness Yesterday

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Weakness Yesterday

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote:We can reflect on where we are and where we would like to be next season. We can debate who we think should and maybe shouldn't be in our own first XV. To criticise a player less than 24 hours after giving his best when selected is classless bilge. If any of us where good enough to replace him, then put your boots on and show us how it's done.
Fair point Burnie, I have no complaints or criticism over any of our players. Fact is, that was a tremendous team performance which I think was our best of the season.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Our players came together and fought for the shirt on their collective backs, we as supporters should do the same and get with our players a bit more rather than on individuals backs.
When you see a player under achieving, some coaches give them a break to get some form back, without a proper "A" league how do we do that other than in the match day squad?
When players are out due to injury, other players come in and often play out of position to help the teams cause. Slagging our players is very, very poor form. Over the coming months we, along with the board and coaching staff will make some decisions about peoples jobs and futures, I hope it's done properly and with respect.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

tigerburnie wrote:We can reflect on where we are and where we would like to be next season. We can debate who we think should and maybe shouldn't be in our own first XV. To criticise a player less than 24 hours after giving his best when selected is classless bilge. If any of us where good enough to replace him, then put your boots on and show us how it's done.
Disagree.
We are the ones who pay their wages. Buying tickets or watching on TV and being the targets of the sponsors.

If we don't ask why we didn't win we won't improve.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think the main weakness yesterday was our discipline, that 1 penalty when we were marched back about 15 yards cost us the game, take that stupid 3 points and we would have won by 2.
Ref was very poor, missed so many forward passes, also every time Johnson threw in at the lineout he took half a step to his own side and that ensured the ball passed down closer to his own side and not down the middle.
Ref also missed the blocking, we box kicked too often but there was a wasp always with his back to us preventing our chase player from contesting the high ball. Simpson, at the scrums, was almost putting the ball into the back row at every scrum.
Great spectacle of a match, but refs cannot allow games to flow with that many cheating tactics!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

mol2 wrote:
Disagree.
We are the ones who pay their wages. Buying tickets or watching on TV and being the targets of the sponsors.

If we don't ask why we didn't win we won't improve.
You talk like the players/club owe you something?
Asking why we didn't win is impossible to answer, there's always an "IF" involved, my problem with some peoples reaction to losing is the "blame game", it's always "SOMEONES FAULT".
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

LE18 wrote:I think the main weakness yesterday was our discipline, that 1 penalty when we were marched back about 15 yards cost us the game, take that stupid 3 points and we would have won by 2.
Great spectacle of a match, but refs cannot allow games to flow with that many cheating tactics!
First point is way too simplistic, the variables involved make this comment naive to say the least
Secondly, you really think any ones isn't wetting themselves laughing at this comment, we used to be the most "streetwise" side in the land lol.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

RagingBull wrote:We need someone who is of the same quality or nearer the quality of Toomua and Manu.

The gap between Manu and Toomua and the backups of Smith, Tait, Roberts etc is too much really.
Agreed RB. Over the season not having the a consistent backline of quality has hurt the Tigers but the players that have stepped in have, IMO given as much as they can? Not having JPP and Mermoz on Sat was an example. However, given the Tiger's turbulent season and the fact that they nearly made Twickers next weekend raises for me the 'what if' question?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tiger Cub

Post by 1988 »

no ones 'slagging' players off. if players are not allowed to be judged then i am worried for our future. same team in 10 years then?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Ah, I see it's the same old situation where there's nothing genuine to criticise so we go back to Tait being the whipping boy.

He gave everything. He was very good. He IS very good.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1988 »

not questioning effort at all. just highlighting an area I think needs strengthening.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

1988 wrote:not questioning effort at all. just highlighting an area I think needs strengthening.
He's a very good player and does not get the respect he deserves. A quality full back and centre that we're lucky to have. I happen to think he had a very good game on Saturday.
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

It appears, statistically speaking, that the weak link defensively was Betham ... 2 tackles and 4 missed. Tait was 8 tackles and 3 missed. Stats do not take into account positions though.

All in all I was reasonably pleased with the lads efforts, if it wasn't for the 10 metre 'walk' and the consequent penalty kick we would've won it. So I guess you could argue that discipline lost it for us, but then there's counter arguments with the ref missing things.

At the end of the day I'm proud of the squad for how they've weathered this year and am optimistic about next season. A trophy and a semi-final isn't bad for saying.