New Job for Cohen????

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

New Job for Cohen????

Post by trendylfj »

After yesterday's game and reading some of the comments on the Tigers Ultras f/b page can I suggest that Simon applies for a new job and replaces Ian Richie as the RFU ceo. He should be a shoe-in after his alleged part in Freddie's departure. I am not talking about rights or wrongs of the return of GF but the hurt that is obviously felt by FB over the way he was treated is not the way I want the club I support to be run. The man has given everything he could for this club and he did so again yesterday and before anyone starts the discussion again about who is better - GF or FB - what I am saying is - is this our new culture and is it right?

I wasn't there at the time but this quote from FB on the Ultra's f/b page really annoyed - "I can tell you this from the horses mouth, when Freddie was spoke to after the Sale match, "sorry to see you go Freddie" to which he replied "thanks a lot but you can blame Cohen". Fact". We should not be treating people like this and, if true, it seems to be happening too often for my liking. I don't know the details behind RC or AM's dismissals but which name seems to always be cropping up as a person involved either on here or on other forums?

As far as I am concerned the sooner he goes the better.
Hehehehehehehehe
AlphaWiseOwl

Re: New Job for Cohen????

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

Totally agree. Not sure who are the real "Alan Sugaresque" types in the Board Room but their style is certainly not one I support and it is not a culture which I want to be a part of. Like trendylfj, I am not going into the pros and cons of why such decisions have been made, but the manner in which they have been handled is awful. With such luminary names on the Board, I had expected better behaviour to be honest and the bitterness felt by Freddie Burns is palpable. Were it not for him, Tigers would most likely not have made the play-offs. Were it not for Owen Williams who played and scored magnificently when Freddie was injured, Tigers could well have finished out of the Champions Cup qualification zone. As for sacking Mauger the Monday morning after Tigers won the Anglo-Welsh Cup - how crass and disrespectful is that? The current Tigers way of handling its employees would not win any awards and I don't like it one bit. I wish George Ford good luck when he turns up for the new season, but he is going to have to fill some pretty impressive, and points accumulating, boots that Freddie and Owen have left behind. Ford's recent kicking form has been average at best. Who on earth is going to be the go-to No 10 when Ford is on international duty (assuming he keeps his place there of course) or when he is injured? I have no idea and I'm not sure that Tigers do. It doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that there is a blueprint in place for the future does it? It all feels pretty chaotic to me.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

AlphaWiseOwl wrote:Totally agree. Not sure who are the real "Alan Sugaresque" types in the Board Room but their style is certainly not one I support and it is not a culture which I want to be a part of. Like trendylfj, I am not going into the pros and cons of why such decisions have been made, but the manner in which they have been handled is awful. With such luminary names on the Board, I had expected better behaviour to be honest and the bitterness felt by Freddie Burns is palpable. Were it not for him, Tigers would most likely not have made the play-offs. Were it not for Owen Williams who played and scored magnificently when Freddie was injured, Tigers could well have finished out of the Champions Cup qualification zone. As for sacking Mauger the Monday morning after Tigers won the Anglo-Welsh Cup - how crass and disrespectful is that? The current Tigers way of handling its employees would not win any awards and I don't like it one bit. I wish George Ford good luck when he turns up for the new season, but he is going to have to fill some pretty impressive, and points accumulating, boots that Freddie and Owen have left behind. Ford's recent kicking form has been average at best. Who on earth is going to be the go-to No 10 when Ford is on international duty (assuming he keeps his place there of course) or when he is injured? I have no idea and I'm not sure that Tigers do. It doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that there is a blueprint in place for the future does it? It all feels pretty chaotic to me.
Absolutely on the nail. But others need to get away from the Cohen fixation, he's the monkey, the BoD are the organgrinders (Cohen, PT and BK included).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I believe that Simon Cohen has been good for Leicester Tigers. I have always found Mr Cohen to be approachable and honest in his replies to any questions I have asked, obviously on occasion for confidentiality reasons he has declined to answer my query but always in an agreeable manner I do not like the thought that Freddie was forced to leave Tigers but I am glad that George Ford is returning. When a player is nearing the end of his contract his agent tries to find him the best new deal possible, I understand that Owen received an offer doubling his wages to a level we could not afford, who of us would not have changed jobs with a similar offer.
Professional sport brings high rewards but there are inconveniences and we the fans demand success and when that does not happen we want change. We cannot expect the change to take place without some eggs being broken.
I happen to think that the board were wrong to sack Cocker but agree that change was needed, after he left it was obvious that more needed to be done. The Anglo Welsh win was down to Murphy, Deacs and Anthony Allen not Mage, we were humiliated in Paris and at home by Glasgow with defeats by Saracens and Exeter. We appear to have improved recently, it could be that the board have now got things right, we shall know by this time next year.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

'George Ford has a hell of a way to go to better Freddie Burns'
Brian Moore
Full Contact, Episode 16

We will see who was right and who was wrong by this time next year but by then it may well be too late!

With Ford's recent kicking form, Bath must be rubbing their hands with glee to get somebody like Freddie. We will miss him I fear, much more than we think, especially when Ford is away (frequently) from the Club.
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

We will never know the real story as most of this is conjecture and we are not party to what goes on behind closed doors, however there is no doubt that Freddie was very upset about his departure and the way it seems to have been handled. I wish him all the luck in the world at Bath.

As far as George is concerned then welcome back. He is a top flight fly half and has proved this on a number of occasions HOWEVER, he is is a front foot player and excels behind a strong pack, a la England. So where are we with recruiting a big lump of a ball carrying, yard making, smash tackling no8 to support George. All I have been hearing about in the stands this season is " we need a no8"

Any news or thoughts on this?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I feel privileged to have been able to watch Freddie during his years with us. His departure leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Upandunder is correct; we mere mortals are not privy to the deeper goings on of higher management but whatever their faults (and there no doubt are some) we have managed to maintain the most successful rugby club in England over many decades so we must be doing something right.

I am also sorry that Freddy feels hard done by but it is a professional game and decisions like this are not taken without a great deal of thought and discussion. I was unhappy when Deano lost his job and the same for Cockers but with hindsight both decisions appear to have merit.

The Board have a legal responsibility to make decisions which in their opinion are in the best interest of the shareholders and inevitably this will result in decisions that many at the time will find distasteful. Nobody is ever going to like being told that their services are no longer required and Freddy is no exception. I thank him for his service to the club and wish hin the very best at Bath where I feel sure he will continue to grow as a player of worth.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
sebco
Tiger Cub

Post by sebco »

I also. Had the good fortune to speak with Freddie after the sale game, admittedly not difficult when it is someone so freely giving his time to the fans as Freddie does, anyhow to the point on expressing our sadness at him leaving I also got the same answer and just for a second you could see the hurt before returning to signing and selfies. I don't think we need worry about losing George to England to much but Barf might need cover for Mr Burns.