So proud...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

doublecarpet

Re: So proud...

Post by doublecarpet »

Great game, great effort, great atmosphere, just wished we could have shown a touch more control when they got desperate, but no complaints over the season, Wasps deserve a crack at Twickenham, we can take great pride in going so close after a season of turmoil and upheaval.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

had to watch it on tv due to a recent op, but the passion the guys showed came through the big screen in bundles. I thought several had their best games for a long time and yes I am going to mention Cole. He was all over the place and his work rate was immense in every aspect of his game - best game of the year by far. The rest were also brilliant and I am not going to criticise anyone. Go away and have a well deserved holiday (those not on tour) and come back with the same attitude next year. So Proud
Hehehehehehehehe
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

First 50 minutes yes :smt023 Last 30 minutes no - tactically and technically poor. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

At the final whistle my lasting memory will be of all the players down on their knees, on the floor looking devastated and exhausted. I can only be proud of their efforts. They gave it absolutely everything.

I was a critic of the timing of O'Connor's appointment. Perhaps we are seeing things go the right way already. I think we can be excited looking forward, perhaps there isn't that much between us and the top sides after all.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We certainly look more like a team.
(Shame we are losing some of the key elements in Burns and Williams)
Had Matt O'Connor been in place earlier in the season would they have been let go so easily?

For the first time in a while we looked like we could beat a top of division side away from home.
But for a few fumbles and some poor referring we should have been too far ahead for the late try to have saved Wasps.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

mol2 wrote:We certainly look more like a team.
(Shame we are losing some of the key elements in Burns and Williams)
Had Matt O'Connor been in place earlier in the season would they have been let go so easily?

For the first time in a while we looked like we could beat a top of division side away from home.
But for a few fumbles and some poor referring we should have been too far ahead for the late try to have saved Wasps.
Williams I think was going regardless. Burns is a different question. We'll never know.

I'm sorry Burns is going. But I'm happy Ford is coming.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Iain wrote:At the final whistle my lasting memory will be of all the players down on their knees, on the floor looking devastated and exhausted. I can only be proud of their efforts. They gave it absolutely everything.

I was a critic of the timing of O'Connor's appointment. Perhaps we are seeing things go the right way already. I think we can be excited looking forward, perhaps there isn't that much between us and the top sides after all.
I think you are overestimating the performance.
There wasn't that much between Leicester and Wasps in all the meetings this season, I always felt that Leicester had the edge on Wasps up front.
Where problems have arisen is when faced with the biggest most combative forward packs.
Just my opinion but Leicester still require more power on the back row and another solid hooker IMO to use alongside McGuigan and to help keep Tom Youngs fresher (who after two weeks rest looked like a different player) whilst also aiding the development and positive integration of young props like Betts with three solid scrummaging hookers.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

BFG wrote:
Iain wrote:At the final whistle my lasting memory will be of all the players down on their knees, on the floor looking devastated and exhausted. I can only be proud of their efforts. They gave it absolutely everything.

There wasn't that much between Leicester and Wasps in all the meetings this season, I always felt that Leicester had the edge on Wasps up front.
Where problems have arisen is when faced with the biggest most combative forward packs.
Just my opinion but Leicester still require more power on the back row and another solid hooker IMO to use alongside McGuigan and to help keep Tom Youngs fresher (who after two weeks rest looked like a different player) whilst also aiding the development and positive integration of young props like Betts with three solid scrummaging hookers.
I don't think I'm overestimating the performance, but I agree with everything else you say.

I think we're on the up at the minute - O'Connor has talked about the potential for growth in the current squad and I believe him. A full summer for him to implement his approach is a good prospect too.

We could win the Premiership next season. There's nothing to rule it out. I'm not saying we will, but we could.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Iain wrote:
BFG wrote:

I don't think I'm overestimating the performance, but I agree with everything else you say.

I think we're on the up at the minute - O'Connor has talked about the potential for growth in the current squad and I believe him. A full summer for him to implement his approach is a good prospect too.

We could win the Premiership next season. There's nothing to rule it out. I'm not saying we will, but we could.
Don't get me wrong I thought there was plenty to be proud of given all the circumstances but personally I thought that was a game that Leicester always had an great chance in.
But for a odd penalty given to Wasps early on and a ten metre march back to the posts the result would've been different!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I agree with both sentiments on here...looking at that squad their performance on Sat was really impressive and I was very proud

I think it could of been different if we had faced the other two teams though..

At the end of the season I am happy we made a great game of it after a horrible season just wish I had more faith in the signings for next season..

As a ball carrying side we are woefully under powered at present imo
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It was a great game of rugby and we walk away with heads held high.

On the balance of the season you would have to say that Wasps deserve their place in the final but on the balance of the game itself I thought we edged it and would have won had we had a decent ref capable of seeing when balls are passed forward and when there is repeated deliberate obstruction.

That said it should be a cracking final and I look forward to next season with renewed hope :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Noggs wrote:It was a great game of rugby and we walk away with heads held high.

On the balance of the season you would have to say that Wasps deserve their place in the final but on the balance of the game itself I thought we edged it and would have won had we had a decent ref capable of seeing when balls are passed forward and when there is repeated deliberate obstruction.

That said it should be a cracking final and I look forward to next season with renewed hope :smt023
Careful Noggs, Tigerburnie will be after you for daring to point out the numerous times blocking went on, like he did to me. Apparently we used to do it, but we were not doing it so obviously in this game, unlike Wasps and that the ref failed miserably to see that our chasers could not get to the boxkicks. so blatant by Wasps.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Quite agree. The table doesn't lie but most of my Wasps pals down Aylesbury way agree we had the better of the game and had more or less despaired of them scoring at 16-20

On to next season and I shall definitely watch the Final with a neutral heart and a beer in hand
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Just about got over my disappointment - so close. I'm surprised Carley hasn't received more criticism - it's easy to keep the ball alive if you can throw the ball forward. From where I was sitting the 4 minute passage of possession had 2 or 3 questionable passes. I guess he must have missed the clarification that momentum can only come from the ball carrier!

Looking forward to next season - if we can keep the centres fit we should be in for a good season.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes Saturday's performance made me so proud to be a Tigers fan and our players performed above and beyond the call of duty, The Sunday paper critics and columnists were so far off the mark I wondered whether they had watched the same match as I had. Tigers were far the better team and dealt a lesson in defence to the Wasps. I hope the Chiefs thrash them on Saturday, One final comment. The Officials were abysmal and Wasps were awarded not one, not two but three penalties resulting from poor decisions.