Better Play Off System?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Better Play Off System?

Post by Roly »

drc_007 wrote:Any system that extends the season with more matches is inferior in my book.
Really? As a Tigers supporter I would have thought you'd embrace it, since its pretty much the only chance they're going to get at meaningful silverware for a good while.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

wellstiger wrote:Playing devils advocate.......
Why do we need a playoff. The season is taking its toll on players with a big fixture list domestic, europe + international call ups.
Just a thought.. I know we (Tigers) would suffer.. but teams would have to develop their game and not hit the straps for the last few games of the domestic season.
Absolutely. Finish top and you're champions. Two weeks extra r and r.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I've always thought that the side who finishes top are champions. Simple.
Aren't there enough games already in the season?

Wellstiger sums it up well saying.. "The season is taking its toll on players with a big fixture list domestic, europe + international call ups."

Couldn't agree more, but money seems to have a higher priority than player welfare in today's game . Shame, innit?
Semper in excretia
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Robespierre wrote:I've always thought that the side who finishes top are champions. Simple.

Wellstiger sums it up well saying.. "The season is taking its toll on players with a big fixture list domestic, europe + international call ups."

Couldn't agree more, but money seems to have a higher priority than player welfare in today's game . Shame, innit?
The other way of looking at it is that, like it or not, professional rugby is part of the entertainment business. Interest and excitement is built by big, end of season knockout games. Personally, I like them and am looking forward to the semi. The alternative would be that our season is over
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Robespierre wrote:I've always thought that the side who finishes top are champions. Simple.

If there were no playoffs do you think the clubs would allow England to dictate rest periods for their top players? Or if they did, how much more would it cost the RFU and take away from the grassroots funding?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Of course, the semi-final at Wasps should be a good game and if I were in Leicester, I'd surely go to support the team, but that doesn't take away the fact that too much rugby is played in a season, although England squad players do have, I believe, games when they are "rested".
I would like to see the Top14 in France reduced to 12 teams as in the Premiership, as the problem here is worse. There has been talk about it but whether anything will happen of course, is another thing.
Semper in excretia
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Big Dai wrote:
Why do we need a playoff. The season is taking its toll on players with a big fixture list domestic, europe + international call ups.
Just a thought.. I know we (Tigers) would suffer.. but teams would have to develop their game and not hit the straps for the last few games of the domestic season.
Or, alternatively, have a play-off system that on generates extra excitement, anticipation and revenue at the end of the regular season and that on more than one occasion has benefitted Tigers....

The simple fact is that if you finish top, you are not Champions, its here to stay.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Just to throw it in there, reading the press during the week,
EJ came into criticism for his England selection for the up and coming tour.

His comments (paraphrasing) who else is there regarding Lions selection and non availability of players re SARACENS,WASPS,EXETER, TIGERS and Northampton.

Therefore will the extended season take its toll on selection, will this frustrate Englands progression leading to the World Cup or will it be an opportunity for third string players to make a mark?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Roly wrote:
Big Dai wrote:
Or, alternatively, have a play-off system that on generates extra excitement, anticipation and revenue at the end of the regular season and that on more than one occasion has benefitted Tigers....

The simple fact is that if you finish top, you are not Champions, its here to stay.
Not in my book it isn't. The extra excitement I can do without. The players can do without the extra opportunity to get injured. I can also do without giving winning opportunity to unworthy teams.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Big Dai wrote:The extra excitement I can do without.
You should take up gardening.
Big Dai wrote:The players can do without the extra opportunity to get injured.
Our boys get injured making their breakfast.
Big Dai wrote:I can also do without giving winning opportunity to unworthy teams.
An unworthy team will get their :censored: kicked in the play offs just like we did the last two seasons. What it does allow is a worthy team that happens to have some issues during the season an opportunity to prove they are indeed worthy i.e., this season Saracens.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Yeah. I'll take up gardening. I don't like the play off system. Never have. It's (IMHO) a commercially​ driven farce which permits the fourth best team in the league, again in my opinion, to be champions.
Happy that others enjoy it. But I come from an era where first meant first.
I also don't like the third ref, squint put ins, the hit at the scrum, collapsing scrums, ignoring offside, and the endless transfer merry-go-round​. Wendy ball here we come.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Happy that others enjoy it. But I come from an era where first meant first.
I also don't like the third ref, squint put ins, the hit at the scrum, collapsing scrums, ignoring offside, and the endless transfer merry-go-round​. Wendy ball here we come.[/quote]

I know the game develops, but I have to agree. A lot is let go these days and not for the betterment of player welfare.
Left out not able to contest at line out time.... a la Ben Kay school of thought.
oxontiger

Post by oxontiger »

Big Dai wrote:
That system didn't work for Bath and Glos. They went off the boil, without a meaningful game, and the pests snuck in to win.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

oxontiger wrote:
Big Dai wrote:
That system didn't work for Bath and Glos. They went off the boil, without a meaningful game, and the pests snuck in to win.
I think you've got the wrong system oxontiger. The playoffs take up two extra weeks. No playoffs, 2 less weeks playing for players.
oxontiger

Post by oxontiger »

No. What i meant was, in 2002/3, Glos were champs by a country mile. 15 points clear. Wasps had to play off one extra game against Saints, which they won before going in to the final. Glos had no meaningful game for three weeks, hence, going off the boil.

In 2003/4, Bath were deserved champs. 6 points clear. Wasps had to play off one extra game against Saints, which they won before going in to the final. Bath had no meaningful game for three weeks, hence, going off the boil.

That is why i don't think having that extra week off is beneficial. It has failed 2/2 so far.

OT