Tough World Cup draw for England?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tough World Cup draw for England?

Post by Bristol Tiger »

If you want to go and win the World Cup, you need to beat the best teams in the world, simple. Wouldn't see the All Blacks making a fuss about a tough drawer.

Read somewhere (sorry can't remember which site so no reference) that the knockout stages will follow the same pattern as the 2015 World Cup. Assuming everything goes according to current world rankings (ha ha) then England would face Wales in the quarter finals; New Zealand in the semis; and the a repeat of the 2003 final against Australia. Shame as I'm sure we would all like to see a NZ/England final!!!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Bristol Tiger wrote: Wouldn't see the All Blacks making a fuss about a tough drawer.
No, I expect they have some kind of cunning sanding device to deal with that sort of thing.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
grobyman

Post by grobyman »

Roly wrote:
Bristol Tiger wrote: Wouldn't see the All Blacks making a fuss about a tough drawer.
No, I expect they have some kind of cunning sanding device to deal with that sort of thing.

Or wax? :smt003
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

grobyman wrote:
Roly wrote:

Exactly!!! They probably wouldn't complain about a tough draw either to be fair.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Bristol Tiger wrote:
grobyman wrote:
Roly wrote:Wouldn't see the All Blacks making a fuss about a tough drawer.
Exactly!!! They probably wouldn't complain about a tough draw either to be fair.[/quote]

Yes but to be fair it was a Bristol supporter that was recently charged with murder for killing a man with sandpaper.
In his defence "To be honest I only intended to rough him up a bit!" :smt039
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Wales seems to have had a lucky break getting Australia. I know the Aussies will probably have improved by the world cup but at the moment that looks a reasonable able draw for someone who finished 5th in the 6 nations.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

mightymouse wrote:Wales seems to have had a lucky break getting Australia. I know the Aussies will probably have improved by the world cup but at the moment that looks a reasonable able draw for someone who finished 5th in the 6 nations.
However they've got Georgia and probably Samoa, and given their record against SH teams, and the fact that Gatland will still be clinging on to players past their best, they could have a tough old time.

I'm happy with Scotland's draw. We'll probably be put into Japan's opening game, which is tricky given how much they'll be up for their home world cup, but although (as usual) it's possible to see a scenario where Scotland go out at the pool stage, it's also possible to see a scenario where they win all their pool games, which isn't something I've thought for a long time.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

mightymouse wrote:Wales seems to have had a lucky break getting Australia. I know the Aussies will probably have improved by the world cup but at the moment that looks a reasonable able draw for someone who finished 5th in the 6 nations.
Now, that's comedy.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If you lose to both Argentina and France then you don't deserve to proceed.
Much the same as losing to both Wales and Australia in 2015.

Argentina are not the side of the last world cup, France are a potential banana skin in that they can flip from awful to magnificent without any apparent reason but if you lose to both then you are not in contention to progress so you might as well go home at that point.
The group stages give all sides a chance to experience the world cup and good sides the chance to progress if they make a single slip up. After all the two best sides might end up in the same pool if by quirk of the rankings determining that.

I guess the seedings have to be made a good time in advance so teams and fans can book tickets, hotels, flights and training facilities in advance. As a consequence sides may go up (or down). The pools do allow that not to be catastrophic were some sides to be leapfrogged in the rankings - you might get the 3 best sides in one pool but at least 2 will make it through.
It is theoretically possible for England, France and Argentina to be 1, 2 and 3 in the world by then. (unlikely of course)