How do we beat Wasps?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: How do we beat Wasps?

Post by Noddy555 »

Blimey! I count myself lucky having got a ticket this morning after only 14 minutes wait, To have sold our initial allocation within 90 minutes is impressive,most of all by the staff who did a sterling job. And that's the answer to the question How do we beat Wasps. By getting at least 15,000 Tiger fans there to combat the Buzz with the Tigers Roar, and a little bit of luck.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

There won't be 15,000. I'd predict about 9,000, which is still a blindingly good effort.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Front row dominance. Munch their scrum.
Don't kick the ball away. If we kick either to touch or into space.
Don't miss tackles as they have the pace to punish us.

Their edge is in the back row so it's vital we don't cough up the ball.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BBC Sport:

Veainu, Slater, Thompstone & Tait all fit.

Mermoz not ruled out.

Pietersen out. Brady out for the season.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

strawclearer wrote:BBC Sport:

Veainu, Slater, Thompstone & Tait all fit.

Mermoz not ruled out.

Pietersen out. Brady out for the season.

Encouraging news, shame about Pietersen, ultimately I will only believe whats written on the team sheet. Shame Brady has been added to the burdgeoning list of players out for the seasons joining Manu, Toomua, Mulipola, and McCaffrey.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Thomptone and Veainu fit is huge. JPP missing is a big blow but at least 2 out 3 are available from our first choice back 3.

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Barrow 5.Kitchener 6.Williams 7.O'Connor 8.Hamilton
9.Youngs 10.Burns 11.Betham 12.Mermoz 13.Roberts 14.Thompstone 15.Veainu

16.McGuigan 17.Rizzo 18.Bateman 19.Slater 20.Thacker 21.Harrison 22.Williams 23.Tait

If we can field that then the tight 5 strength both starting and on the bench would have a good chance of dominating Wasps at scrum time. The only way we will win this is by starving the Wasps backs of field position and time on the ball. To do that we will need our front row to really dominate at set-piece then the line-out to click to keep field position.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I agree with most of the posts..
Accuracy in kicking for field position.Keep it tight. Make first up tackles and play for a full 80.Kicking aimlessly to their backs is what has cost teams all season
Yes the Pests do infringe and give penalties. But they do come on full in the last 20.
They are beatable with accuracy and application.

Just somebody cut the tanoy wire... cant stand forced crowd encouragement.
Just NOT RUGBY...
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ABClub wrote:Thomptone and Veainu fit is huge. JPP missing is a big blow but at least 2 out 3 are available from our first choice back 3.

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Barrow 5.Kitchener 6.Williams 7.O'Connor 8.Hamilton
9.Youngs 10.Burns 11.Betham 12.Mermoz 13.Roberts 14.Thompstone 15.Veainu

16.McGuigan 17.Rizzo 18.Bateman 19.Slater 20.Thacker 21.Harrison 22.Williams 23.Tait

If we can field that then the tight 5 strength both starting and on the bench would have a good chance of dominating Wasps at scrum time. The only way we will win this is by starving the Wasps backs of field position and time on the ball. To do that we will need our front row to really dominate at set-piece then the line-out to click to keep field position.
Like the side but would like it even more if we could find room for Fitz.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

We finished fourth. Have a nice summer.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Big Dai wrote:We finished fourth. Have a nice summer.
A great insight into how Tigers could potentially progress to the Premiership final and 'finish' as Champions.

Thanks for that.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I think there's something to be said for having Veainu on the wing and Tait at full back for this one.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Iain wrote:I think there's something to be said for having Veainu on the wing and Tait at full back for this one.
Yes, that's an interesting thought - I think it depends on Mermoz's availability as to whether Mat Tait will play centre or not.
Less is more....
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Bunchy wrote:
Iain wrote:I think there's something to be said for having Veainu on the wing and Tait at full back for this one.
Yes, that's an interesting thought - I think it depends on Mermoz's availability as to whether Mat Tait will play centre or not.
MOC said on Radio Leicester last night that Mermoz was fit but rusty and it sounded like he wouldn't be considered. Which is disappointing.

To be honest though I think Owen will be a highly motivated fully fit 12, and if Mermoz is rusty and probably not fully motivated, I would stick with Williams.

I just hope they tighten up on the defensive display against Worcester, otherwise we are sunk!!
Soggypitch
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Soggypitch wrote:
Bunchy wrote:
MOC said on Radio Leicester last night that Mermoz was fit but rusty and it sounded like he wouldn't be considered. Which is disappointing.

To be honest though I think Owen will be a highly motivated fully fit 12, and if Mermoz is rusty and probably not fully motivated, I would stick with Williams.

I just hope they tighten up on the defensive display against Worcester, otherwise we are sunk!!
Thats OK we will have Moz and JPP fit for Twickers!! :smt027 :smt027
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat